[Guide] Post good ways to use the Valkyrie

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LOLdragon, Aug 30, 2014.

1. LOLdragon

This thread is dedicated to posting good ways to use the Valkyrie!

Please do not write posts only about ways the Valkyrie can or should be modified from its current design, or why you think it sucks.

The idea of this thread is for PlanetSide 2 players to share ways the Valkyrie can be used effectively in it's current form. I know my outfit and I aren't the only players working hard at trying to find a role for this vehicle, so let's pool our good ideas together, preferably with explanations about why they are effective. You can also share experiences you've had where the Valkyrie was a force to be reckoned with either on your team or an enemy team.
    • Up x 2
  2. Krokozor

attach С4 and ram enemy
    • Up x 5
  3. Demigan

I haven't flown the Vlakyrie since it was available in the PTS. But I would say it is an excellent high-speed dropship. Fly low with ejection seat, set a ramming course for the place you want to land on and jump out before it rams it.

I also think it can be used for dropping LA's on tank columns. There is a lot less AA normally then right now so it shouldn't be too difficult to hotdrop some C4 fairies on target.
    • Up x 2
  4. PraiseTheSpandex

Put engies in the rumble seats with tank mines. Drop them on things.
    • Up x 5
  5. LOLdragon

lol lol lol, I know, I know, I know. The Valkyrie isn't great right now, and it's VERY easy to be sarcastic or make jokes about that. Air pinata, ramming vehicle, etc.
    We can all have a great laugh at this and let the first new vehicle we've received in over a year be a complete waste, or we can put our heads together and try to work with what we've got, even if we don't think what we've got is very much.

I know yesterday I was defending a base and seeing enemy Valkyries on the mini-map spooked me because they were parked near the base, but I couldn't see them because they were behind a big hill. I suspected the enemy was using them as mobile spawn points for their squads, and two or three of these deployed around a base certainly could open up new options for attacking spawn points that Galaxies and Sunderers can't fulfill.

I never would have thought of that on my own, but with some innovation, the Valkyrie can be used effectively.
    • Up x 1
  6. Zeppelin123

Punishment.
    • Up x 1
  7. LodeTria

Someone photoshop it into a trashcan please.
    • Up x 2
  8. CHDT65

9. OldMaster80

I've tried with stealth, bengala and performance cell. The idea was to have a fast "incursor" sneaking behind enemy lines flying low and fast to the enemy lines.

I've never died so many times. And my platoon mates eventually refused to jump in. They said as infantry they got at least a chance to fight but the Valkyrie is just a deadly trap.

Until they buff the Valkyrie armor against bursters and skyguards it's just giving the enemy some free xp.
  10. CHDT65

Tactically, the use of a Valkyrie is very clever.

Make a Valkyrie fly over an enemy position and all the enemy soldiers will immediately forget their productive combat work to chase after the certs. I've have shot down one of these ugly pinatas with an EM-1 !!!
    • Up x 1
  11. Dr.Insomnia

Great for inserting squads on overlooks and rooftops. Not so great for attacking hotzones.

Basically it's the Huey of Planetside.
    • Up x 2
  12. Ransurian

I guess you could turn it into a pretty vicious mobile AA platform with a squad of AA MAXes.
  13. KenDelta

Use it as intended , take 4 guys and take them to a base while dodging stuff.

Use it as intended , take 3 HA with lockons and an engineer and place them on a rock.

Use it as intended , 2 man fighting vehicle.

Use it as intended , wait a week till people quit spam pulling AA maxes and skyguards.
    • Up x 6
  14. LOLdragon

One of the first things I thought of using it for. Unfortunately, MAXes can't ride in Valkyrie at all, so this just can't happen. It probably would be a little OP if it did happen, though, but let's talk less about what we wish would happen and more about what can happen.
  15. NBA JAM

Its best used on Hossin with all the tree cover. Sure, you could pull ESFs as a small squad, but that eats up your resources and they're still squishy. As well, unless you've heavily invested in good turning/hovering for your ESF, they're not as good on Hossin. Also need anti-infantry or anti tank nose gun.

Valkeries you can just grab and go. Go in, fly low, hit and run. Drop a couple people off, harass and maybe go grab a couple more people. Its a pretty niche role.

With Hossin's terrain, dropping a couple people off along the way while you fly around attracting attention lets Heavies and engies flank with rockets/AV turrets. Also getting a better front gun is recommended as you will not be killing air with the Wyvern. On the other maps your completely exposed to other aircraft and AA. :(
    • Up x 3
  16. FLHuk

I was going to post about how of all the things we needed another air vehicle wasn't one of them. This post changed my mind, thank you sir :)
    • Up x 1
  17. LOLdragon

I agree!
    While I haven't had a chance to see it in action on Hossin with my own eyes, I've heard from a lot of people that Hossin's unique terrain and big trees provide an environment where the Valkyrie's higher maneuverability can really shine. In the same way, I was gunning a Walker on a Sunderer as my outfit was attacking a tech plant that had some Valkyries flying around it, and they were very hard to take down because they used the tech plant's giant struts and structures as cover.

So... maybe they could also be really effective at defending/attacking tech plants because of the cover for air vehicles those places provide. Again, a niche role, but it could be an effective one.
  18. GnashingOfBeaks

So far, we've tested a few configurations with our outfit and at least one of our members has been actually very successful using this thing.

[Stealth Dropship and Mobile Spawn] (Tested)

Loadout: Stealth, Squad Logistics, Evasiveness Airframe

Crew: Triage Medic (Pilot), Engineer (gunner) and most of the crew should be engis as well since you can repair on the go (if you're planning on keeping the thing alive).

In this version, the engineers aren't really expected to do anything other than repair and drop if needed. Aiming out of this thing while trying to evade is crazy hard and it's very easy for passengers to be shot out of the aircraft. This makes this config good for evading enemies, bringing in squadmates discreetly and otherwise can be used in places with good cover for aircraft (Hossin especially, but possibly also Amerish and Indar). The stealth is great not only for not being detected, but also for avoiding lockons since it appears to be built entirely out of tissue paper.

I'll post others thoughts as we discover how to properly use this thing.
    • Up x 1
  19. ScrapyardBob

How are the different weapon systems stacking up compared to the default?

(Ignoring the obvious issue that Thermal is only 50m on the Wyvern, when it should be 200m.)
  20. NoctD

Use Flares or Ejection Seat on the Valkyrie... and NOT Fire Suppression. Use it for close air support at the fringes of larger fights. Drop/insert your rumble seat passengers and leave, don't hover around the drop zone.