[Suggestion] Critical hits

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ConradHorse, Aug 28, 2014.

1. ConradHorse

Sometimes I think how wonderful would it be if I shot that liberator in a way that it made it critically damaged and falling, or that annoying max, or the damned heavy. I don't expect it too often but once for a very unpredictable while would be like a gift for Christmas
  2. Hatesphere

we do not need more unskilled randomness in this game. but I do think that air vehicles like the lib need weak spots like tanks.
    • Up x 2
  3. ConradHorse

not even a bit randomness like, you know, a bullet going through armor in some random way? aircrafts, like galaxies, too, definitely need some weak points
  4. Devrailis

MAXes and Heavies can receive headshots. Tanks are vulnerable in the rear. A liberator in the air is 100% exposed at all times. There's no need for more random damage in this game.
    • Up x 2
  5. Luminiouscow

Agree with most of it except a liberator in the air being exposed 100% of the time.
  6. ConradHorse

headshots are not enough for me. I want legshots, tailshots, windscreenshots, engineshots! :D
    • Up x 1
  7. Devrailis

I'd like more booty shots in my x12 scope when I fight the Vanu.
  8. MajiinBuu

And I want access to the observer cam
  9. ColonelChingles

Seriously... area-specific damage that would destroy important "parts" of vehicles and infantry is something that PS2 desperately needs.

For aircraft, look no further than War Thunder for the various ways that you can disable or damage aircraft without outright blowing them up. You could take out engines, wings, tails, elevators, flaps, etc. You could even "knock out" pilots. What this added to the game was skill; sure you could just shoot at an enemy plane, but aiming for specific parts besides the fuselage would cripple the enemy aircraft.

Tanks need damageable parts like the ones found in World of Tanks. Take out treads, main cannons, secondary weapons, etc. Again, this rewards proper aiming, instead of a "I can pick one of four directions to hit them" tactics that PS2 currently has. Additionally tank armor shouldn't be homogenous; even shooting at the front of a tank should result in different damage amounts based on where in the front you hit them.

And infantry... infantry don't get off either. Even basic games like Fallout implemented damage to individual parts of the body. Take out a leg, and they hobble. Take out both legs and they're crippled. Take out an arm and their aim goes to heck and they can't use weapons that require both arms. Again, this adds skills to the game by allowing carefully placed (or lucky) shots to literally disarm the enemy.

Would this be more complex and perhaps more technically challenging? Sure. But in my opinion it would add a whole new layer of depth and tactics to the game, the same mechanics that have proved quite popular in a variety of other games as well!
  10. Gammit

See: headshot. For all vehicles, hitting in the less-armored side is good enough for me.
  11. Devrailis

Adding a feature like this would be a non-trivial task depending on how the game engine handles localized damage. Even vehicle entry can't be localized and we have had official confirmation from the dev team that it simply isn't built into the vehicle models. Localized damage to specific parts would be a great thing to have, but I would not be surprised if at this point, it would take SOE months if not a year+ to implement such a thing.
    • Up x 1
  12. Grayson

I like how people forget about one important thing...that there is a MASSIVE amount of vehicles which has to be rendered and the hit registration of these critical parts all have to be in place / moving together with the whole "hitbox"..

TL;DR: Do you have a nuclear reactor to run the game after the "crit part" update?
    Nope, neither do I, or the rest of the player base...