Playstation 4 - Piloting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gleerok, Jul 27, 2014.

1. uhlan

Most folks running to the PS4 are expecting aim assist to help them in game with the controllers.

Have fun.
  2. Ronin Oni

"Tank" treatment?

Also, I have no clue what you're talking about. I THINK you're simply talking about the inferiority of controller to m/k for aiming purposes...

but hell, in BF4 I fly both Jets and Helos with gamepad and do just fine. Great even. Better than M/K.

I have no idea why anyone thinks translating PS2 to gamepad is different than any other FPS ever.
  3. Ronin Oni

Plenty of FPS on console don't have aim assist. Or at least nothing you'd EVER notice.

Even games that have it (Red Dead Redemption/GTA) often turn it off for MP VS.

I used to be a console gamer and that particular bit of misinformation amongst PC elitists drove me up the wall.
  4. Thurwell

I used to fly scythes and libs with an xbox controller hooked up to a PC. It's easier and more intuitive than mouse and keyboard, so have no worries. I gave it up because analog sticks don't have the precision of a mouse, due to their mechanical limitations. So I could not compete with good pilots in dog fights. But on the PS4 everyone will have the same handicap so the controller will work fine.
  5. Goretzu

The more cynical suggest that the tank changes may well have been aimed at making them more PS4 friendly (because it is unlikely they'll run two entirely seperate codes instead of keeping them as close as possible - especially when both are actually PCs).

I don't think gamepads are particularly bad in general, just that given how appallingly bad joystick support is in PS2 and the strange way they've gone about flight control in PS2 (different to most games and even PS1 IIRC) - having said that a fella above reckons a PS4 controller is better than other things, so YMMV.
  6. Ronin Oni

You mean you think they added stability just because PS4 and nothing at all to do with tankers having begged for it for 2 years since launch for it to improve tank combat?
  7. Goretzu

Not just that, but the totality of the changes seem to be toward lower precision aiming and closer use (all of which would benifit PS4 controller use).
    I don't know if they did or not (but the arguements made by people are reasonably convincing), it may well be coincidence, so we'll have to see if Air does get changed like that.
  8. uhlan

The key word is EXPECTING...
  9. Ronin Oni

ah, well, even without Aim Assist gamepad is generally a higher skill floor, lower skill ceiling FPS gameplay. Easier to get in and use (for someone without established skill either way) and pro's can't snap aim even half as fast to smoke you before you can even fire back.

That's why COD on conslols is so popular.
  10. miraculousmouse

Learn to quote properly console peasant.
  11. Giligan96

"Thumbs Down!"
  12. Lafladitu

I will be heading over to the PS4 , not cause of "aim-assist". But for the reason that everyone will be playing on the same hardware so everyone will have more or less the same experiance, (internet speed and Harddrive diffrences is to exspected at most).

And as i usualy play as an infiltrator, hiding will be a lot easier when noone playes on low ;)
  13. Goretzu

They are merging the code it seems.

14. Ronin Oni

uhm, you realize low settings are the only players who CAN'T see you right?? o_O

Medium it's visible, High it's easier, and Ultra it's pretty clear to see a cloaked player (WHEN MOVING. Sitting perfectly still you're invisible... but if they saw where the shimmer mysteriously vanished, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to tell you're still there).

Cloak makes you less noticeable, easier to be missed, but not INVISIBLE. It's just concealment. You need to stop and crouch for full invis.
    • Up x 2
  15. Ownasaurusrex

I fly a lot in battlefield 4 with controllers. If they maintain VTOL controls the way that helicopters handle in bf4, it'll be fine.
  16. Ronin Oni

Control mappings will be semi-similar...

but my god is the flight model itself (the flight physics) different!

Controller should work perfectly fine though. But you'll be in for a surprise in how the aircraft actually handle.
  17. Ownasaurusrex

It makes for a more refreshing type of skill ladder to engage in.
    It will be rewarding to those who are somewhat practiced in bf4 scout helicopter 25mm farming of infantry.

And ya know what, I wanna engage the skygods of the controller universe. And guess what, you wanna challenge me in the ps4 game my sn is fulcrumrex and I'll be waiting to beachYaSs
  18. Zotamedu

They will have to redo the control scheme for console. You cannot just map the keyboard and mouse input straight over to a pad. Try it in the game now and see how horrible it is.

Hopefully, they'll move some of the controller improvements over to PC as well. I would really like to fly with a game pad because I really can't handle flying in this game as it is now. Tried remapping the keys to something that would make more sense to me but since you cannot control the sensitivity of the axes, I never got it to feel even remotely natural to fly.
  19. Daikar

The mouse acts exactly like a joystick does in the PC version so I would think it would work just fine with the ps4 controller.
  20. Goretzu

Joysticks act horribly in PC-PS2 though. :confused: