New nanite system means members are buying power

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kalivix, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Tyrant103

So I'm going to throw my money away, to receive nothing in return?

It seems you have a problem with basic fundamentals of business
  2. Aegie

If resources provide an advantage and there is a meaningful difference in resources between paying and non-paying then paying provides an advantage. Simple as that.

In this case is it a big advantage? One that takes away from the game as a F2P player? I do not think so, but the impact of the difference is not the same as the existence of the difference. IMO, the difference most certainly exists but I do not think it has much of an impact.

As others have said, as it currently is implemented it should not be difficult for a F2P player to have whatever powerup they desire as often as they want. True, there may be a few times where a non-subscribing player has to wait a little longer than a subscribing player and it is true that this is an advantage for pay but I think the impact is minimal at best.

As others have pointed out, there is a subtle difference between getting something better for pay and getting something more often for pay. True, when taken to extremes this can be a really bad thing. Imagine, for instance, Weapon X (Wolverine) can be used every 5 minutes to as a subscriber but only every 100 hours as a non-subcriber and Wolverine is the most powerful item in the game. True, subcribers and non-subscribers can both use Wolverine but I think it is clear that this scenario is P2W. The same thing holds in PS2, only the difference is more like 5 minutes for the subscriber and 7 minutes for the non-subscriber (if everything goes really badly for both) and this, though IMO technically is paying for an advantage, the advantage itself is miniscule and only meaningful in specific worst case scenario moments.

I'm not currently subscribing and I have been astonished at how any powerup is available all the time. Essentially, right now, it seems resources are almost meaningless so while there may be a difference between subscribers and non-subscribers the difference is not really meaningful.

Things may change as the other phases of the revamp roll-out and I think it is important that we have this conversation because it is in everyone's interest that people are not detracted from the game because of perceptions that you can pay for meaningful advantages.
    • Up x 2
  3. DorianOmega

The new system is great, EVERYONE had timers removed so now membership bonus's are more prevalent, if you wanna be all F2P and complain about this new change then boo hoo for you, SPEND SOME MONEY for membership in this game if you feel its now that much more powerful with the resource update, not like this update essentially reduced the time to spawn any vehicles for everyone including F2P players or anything....
  4. WTSherman

Honestly, if you get a gunner and rotate pulls you will never run out of resources under the current system.

I suppose infantry might possibly run into problems with medkits and grenades, but for vehicles it's really a non-issue because you're not going to run out of resources anyway.
    • Up x 1
  5. Crator

You are right. It is an advantage to the player who has purchased a boost or has membership. What I was saying is that they do not in turn disadvantage players who are not using them...
  6. Nepau

Well here is a thought. What if Membership gave Members a Larger resource pool instead of a increase in resource generation?
  7. starlinvf

More importantly the system is doing EXACTLY whats its designed to do.... and thats stall out people who spam things a lot. Payed players are not getting enough of a bonus to offset this fact. The ticks come in at once per minute, and average 75 resources. Outside of a rare instance of needing to mass deploy mines and C4, you never run low enough to an issue for normal use. But you go around spamming grenades (which are crazy cheap right now), or sacrificing your MAX or Vehicles, you don't run out..... sometimes you might run low, but you don't run out.

If you can't survive 5 minutes in a Tank, you are doing something wrong. MAXs should be able to last a good 5 minutes in most cases.... unless you're the type to only pull in crash situations (they don't last long in highly aggressive situations) Aircraft is the same... if you can't stay airborne for 5 minutes, then you wouldn't be doing anything helpful in the first place.

The solution? Stop relying on spamming consumables and force multipliers. Hate the fact that no one pulls medic? Guess what? YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!! Can't find an Engineer? Same thing.

Absolutely NONE of these problems with even a semi-cohesive squad. Its not hard, it never was hard.

TL;DR: Teamwork OP
    • Up x 3
  8. Kentucky Windage

I have no problem with paying players getting a bit of an edge over my non paying character. I have the option to upgrade but just choose to be F2P. The game is awesome and I feel I'm the one getting the best deal as I get to play this awesome game ABSOLUTELY FREE. Hard to argue over that.
    • Up x 4
  9. NC_agent00kevin

You still got more resources before the revamp; its the exact same thing in a different manner.

The new system actually helps new and non paying members by completely removing the incredibly expensive vehicle timer cert line. I wound up getting about 12,000 certs back on that revamp. Now tell me how long it would take a new or non paying player to put himself on equal footing with me as a member when it came to vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  10. libbmaster

It's just like with hossin, or continent locking.

It's madness! :eek:
  11. Kalivix

This thread is scaring me... the only objections I expected were people saying it isn't p2w but theres lots of people trying to say p2s is fine...
  12. FateJH

What's that acronym? "Pay to ...?"
  13. Wecomeinpeace

Once they get around to making this new system actually mean something (because c'mon, right now it's basically "free stuff" for everyone) this might indeed become a problem, depending on how everything plays out. The outlook of members being able to chainpull maxes/air/tanks while non-members (regardless of how much cash they spent on this game) are forced to counterplay those with less frequent access to the counters is not very appealing, Simply put, the faction with the most members could have a distinct advantage with a working resource system (the current one might be fun, but doesn't really work as a resource system). You now might argue it was allways like this, but that isn't true; Before the revamp you could gain resources by getting xp, thus theoretically as a non-member being able to get more resources than a member. This is no longer the case.

Btw when exactly was the point where people just accepted selling power as a usual business thing? That is never good folks, even less so in a pvp fps. I mean sure, we are allready far, far away from what i recall was once the original premise; "Cosmetics only" (Not 100% certain, but i recall smed once said that), but the "slippery slope" doesn't become less slippery just because everyone knows that the slope is slippery.

As a last point, it seems ppl love to respond to criticism with "you asked for this". Imo that is nonsense. Nobody asked for a half baked resource system that due to its unfinishedness (idc if that's a word) does not work like intended. Also nobody asked for continent locking without an intercontinental lattice. Or a lattice that connects all outposts and bases in a silly spiderweb. Phase-one-side and ******** implementations of good ideas was atleast definetely not what i was asking for.
    • Up x 1
  14. JP_Russell

Members have always been buying power with resource boosts, acquisition timers or no. Consumables have never had timers, for example, and boosts have always allowed people to be more liberal with them than free players could be. It has simply always been an unfortunate truth of this game, and the new nanite system is no different.
    • Up x 1
  15. Kalivix

The timers at least meant they couldn't spam vehicles and MAXs all the time, this new systems means they can just keep spamming them with nothing stopping them
  16. nubery

"SOE should give me everything free because I'm entitled."
    • Up x 1
  17. Alchemist44

Whats the nanite regen rate for members vs non members as of now? 75 vs 50 per minute for auraxium members vs non members?
    So while it takes 7 minutes for a non-member to get the resources for a new MAX (350 iirc), the auraxium member can get it in *gasp* 4.5 minutes. Thats 2.5 minutes sooner! That means in 15 minutes of gameplay a non paying member can pull a MAX 2 times minimum, a paying member 3 times minimum (I would question the impact a player makes on a battle if he/she's getting killed so often that he/she has to go through 3 MAXes in 15 minutes, since if MAXes can get destroyed that easily they arent really that much of a force to be reckoned with). Is this really that big of an advantage that you call P2W?

This aside, what do you suggest, what kind of "advantage" should a paying member have over a non-paying member? Im sure paying customers expect something for their money besides a cosmetic item with an "Im a paying member" text on it.
  18. Jalek

Still complaining about having too much stuff to shoot at.
    If you're not paying, don't lose your vehicles as fast. I've seen a bunch of ESF's arrive and get cleared out by infantry faster than I could get a burster MAX because they were new pilots. It's a bad thing that they could come back soon and get shot down again?
  19. Taemien

I'm not defending pay to win because there is no pay to win here. There is pay to be casual and pay to be serious.

You're acting like a tank is the end and be all thing in the game. It isn't. In fact I was watching my playstyle tonight and when running as Infantry I never dropped below 700, meaning my member bonus wasn't being used. Everytime I pulled a vehicle, it lasted longer than the 50nanite ticks required to repull it. Again, I wasn't even using my member bonus (which means member bonuses need to be looked at IMO).

Here's when members will have an advantage:

I pull a tank. One minute later, the squad leader calls for a redeploy to another continent. As a member, it doesn't hurt so much. I can probably repull another vehicle pretty quickly. Most likely in 2 minutes. A non member would need to wait 3 minutes in the same circumstance.

Cept.. it will take him 5-10 minutes to redeploy because of his or her queue. You will be at full resources before you are even able to participate in that example. But of course since you're a casual player, you won't be redeploying to the needed area anyway. So you get to keep your vehicle and continue farming.

Sorry guy, but if you weren't casual, you'd sub so you could always help your outfit/platoon/squad on whatever continent they needed to be on. Not stuck in a queue derping around at the wrong WG.
  20. DrPapaPenguin

Honestly - dont care. Its not like they pull enhanced ubertanks compared to us mortals. And its notlike the enemy magically has more tanks in an advance, it simply means they can restock faster. And if we killed them once we'll do so again.
    • Up x 2