My main problem with the Magrider:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ztiller, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Ztiller

Is that it's not actually a tank. It is a tank-hunter. A stealthy magrider build with a Saron is excellent at killing tanks.

It's fast, mobile and packs a pretty good punch if the secondary is manned.

Do you want to know what is also fast, mobile and packs a punch? Harrassers and Lightnings. The Lightning actually have a higher DPS than the Magriders primaries, moves faster and have a much, much smaller profile.

The Harrasser have less damage, but it is far more agile and practically have a free, 10x better Magburner included.

However, there is one thing that the Magrider cannot do. It cannot serve as a tank in the same way that the Prowler and Vanguard can. It cannot punch through enemy defenses like the Vanguard, and it cannot put down overwhelming firepower like the Prowler.

So while the Magrider is better at tank-hunting than the Lightning/Harrasser, at least if it has a gunner, the problem that arises is that the NC and TR have access to fast-moving tank hunters, but the VS do not have access to an actual tank.

What we have access too is a tank that have to stick to the flanks and to the outskirts, but stand no chance whatsoever in a direct confrontation just like the Lightning and Harrasser.
    • Up x 9
  2. khai

Your absolutely right the Mag is a tank destroyer (class of vehicle not simply a metaphor) not a tank, and I am all for giving VS a tank if TR and NC get tank destroyers of their own.
    • Up x 3
  3. Ztiller

Like i said twice in the very post you just replied to: The Lightning and Harrasser does the job of fast, mobile tank destroyers already.
  4. khai

Tank destroyer is a class of vehicle that has somewhat fallen out of favor it was characterized by heavy forward armor and a fixed gun or slow moving turret and is the best analogy to mag riders.

And unless you are proposing to get rid of the mag rider for a tank then I stand by my statement that it would be unfair to give VS both a Main Battle Tank and a Tank Destroyer.
    • Up x 2
  5. z1967

I think you are describing a Skirmisher, not a tank destroyer. Skirmisher based tanks should move fast and in smaller groups, kinda like the magrider/harasser/lightning. They don't stack well and can't tank shells.

Personally, they should add a bombardment/artillery style gun to the Lightning, along with a heavier AA gun and a heavy locked gimbal cannon (think of a Titan AP with heavy front armor and reduced speed). That way, the Lightning becomes a platform that can fit whatever you need, but the faction equivalents do better in general. So you can have your discount vanguard, but it won't be quite as good (so it has good front armor but not so good side and rear armor).
  6. Ztiller

According to WW2 definition, yes. According to ACTUAL literal definition, it means a vehicle good for destroying other tanks. You are just deliberately trying to derail the thread by actively nitpicking on words when you know fully well what i am talking about.

The VS have no actual tank, but the TR and NC have tank-hunters with the Lightning and Harrasser.
    • Up x 2
  7. Flag

Sherman FireFly was a tank destroyer.

... yeap that's a turreted WW2 tank.
  8. Riku

Perhaps with the new tank we get what we're looking for. :)
    Time will tell.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fleech

except this is completely false. the magrider CAN be used as a tank. anyone that knows me can back this up. especially against prowlers. i think i destroy more prowlers than any other vehicle.
  10. TheReaperKing82

I think the solution lies in making another class of tanks, heavy battle tanks or HBT for short. This way, Vanu can keep the magrider just as it is and then get a tank that acts more like a normal tank. This is of course balanced by giving the other factions bigger tanks, however they need to be different than the current ones or they will just be more of the same.
  11. Alarox

12. repinSniper

Simple fix to everything ever complained about or that has been a balance issue in regards to magriders:

Put them on tracks with a standard swivel turret

All problems solved; imbalances between other tanks, PPA issues, mobility issues, random damage taken when magburning, non-tank design, everything, solved. Good luck with getting that to happen though. They could even get a buff to damage and armor values if that ever happened.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ztiller

It depends on how you define a tank. If you go toe-to-toe with any other tank, the Prowler wil either outdamage you, or the Vangaurd will outsustain you. That is why we don't have a Tank, in that definition. We can't go toe to toe with the NC and TR, but rather have to play the Magrider like a Harrasser or Lightning.
  14. Shatters

Well I would take a mag over a lightning/harasser any day for that specific role. It is simply that much better at it.

Anyway, this is the result of factions having different stuff. And as far as I can tell the 3 MBT's are all performing on more or less the same level, and the stats we have available tell us exactly the same thing. Yes, it is different, but its not worse. (repair/blockade) sunderers are the real front-line tanks, anyway. Not MBT's.
  15. GreatWolf

The Magrider is actually a little too good at everything, better than the other two at both killing infantry and vehicles due to it's abilities. I think you got a little bit too much of everything. They can spawn camp pretty much any base from multiple angles, flank infantry and vehicles the same way, hence the upcoming cannon and secondaries changes. If you are asking for a Vanguard with Prowler dps and Magrider abilities that's not going to happen.
  16. a-koo-chee-moya

He's not. All he's saying is that Vanu lacks a vehicle with pushing ability, while NC and TR have tank destroyers.
  17. Flag

Better at both at the same time? Or it actually has valid choices in the loadout?

Besides, I'd like to see a comparison between the magrider and the prowler for the AI (AV is more or less even between all 3).
    The difference should lie with the P2-120 v. PPA as far as what kills things, but also how the Magrider gives up more AV to do it's AI than the prowler does.

So I wonder, is the magrider really too good (ahahahahhaaha), or are people deliberately only comparing the PPA with the C85mod and Marauder?
  18. GreatWolf

I think we have been down this road before ... I do believe that Magrider is better (ahahahahhaaha) in more situations than the other 2 tanks and that is directly related to it's abilities. The Magrider climbing abilities allows it to be better at flanking other tanks and completely surround and camp the spawn points. The Magrider's defense is better because it can strafe faster than a MAX or even infantry to dodge incoming shells or rockets.
    • Up x 1
  19. Chrotenise

I'm sorry, but what? I've played on Miller a lot and there's a guy there, Rayden78 or something, that plays with a Sauron, VPC and AB magrider. Know what he does? Just AB past the point of defense of the enemy, turn around, blow a lot of stuff up, and AB away again before anyone can react.

Next to that, magriders by potential have far more ability to hold down a line than prowlers or vanguards because they can actually move sideways while shooting, which makes them a b**** to dumbfire for heavies.
  20. Nexus545

Kind of what I've been getting at. The prob elm with the Magrider is that it doesn't quite play the same role as the Vanguard and Prowler.