Playstation 4 - Piloting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gleerok, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Gleerok

I am seriously considering the PS4 version of Planet Side 2 once it comes out. As I don't have a next-gen home console, and I'd like something more consistent for games (As well as exclusives) without spending too much.

But I am curious about the controls. I played many TPS and FPS titles on consoles before, I don't have issues with the dualshock, but piloting is a completely different story, even more considering PS2's uniqueness.

I'm not sure if we can use a keyboard+mouse to play games on a playstation 4..

So, looking for some input from those who have a PS4 and also those who play Planet Side 2 with a controller.
  2. Goretzu

I cannot see how they can keep the current flight control system on the PS4.

It is bad enough with the best controllers you can get for a PC, the idea that people will be flying using standard PS4 controller and the current control system is pretty unlikely (or at least everyone would be flying like they'd imbibed 15 pints of Guiness).

I suspect they'll end up changing the PC system to a PS4 friendly one for simplicities sake, much like people suspect tanks were changed to help with PS4 control.
    • Up x 1
  3. Bape

I heard flying with controller is easier so yeh im be a dedicated pilot on the PS4 version while PC ill be infantry side. Also just like PS3 they found a way to let you use keyboard and mouse so im sure there will be some adapter that will let u do it for the PS4.
  4. Mylon

If they let PS4 players play with keyboard and mouse then there's no excuse to not let the console gamers play on the same server. If it's not PC gamers farming the controller players, it'll be the M+KB players farming them.
  5. Regpuppy

Update validation on the PS4 wouldn't allow them to update as often as the PC version can. So they'd either have to slow PC updating to match or they'd have to deal with horrible version mismatching.

That, is the technical reason why.
  6. TheReaperKing82

I use a logitec game controller for when I pilot and i think it makes things a lot easier. I only use it for flying though because I use the razer tartarus and a gaming mouse when I am playing infantry or any ground vehicle. As long as you bind all the controls right, you will be fine. I would also suggest practicing in VR to make sure all the buttons are binded the way you want and figure out what is comfortable for you
  7. Gleerok

Can you do the reverse maneuver and derivatives with the controller?
  8. NCDaniel

Pretty sure it'll feel like Ace Combat.
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

when playing BF3 on PS3, i kinda managed to fly a heli pretty well but a jet was abysmally hard to control due to its high speed and 'small' maps (for such a fast vehicle)

imo, flying should work fine in PS2 since all aircraft are vtol and thus rather easy to control. however, i'd expect that more complex maneuvers (like ESF reverse flight or Lib maneuvers) will be very very difficult to pull off with a controller and limited buttons
  10. TheReaperKing82

Honestly, I don't know how to do the reverse maneuver at all lol
  11. Ronin Oni

lol wat?

Mapping PS2 flight controls to controller is EZ.

Left stick = Yaw + Vthrust
    Right stick = roll + pitch
    Left trigger and bumper = Accel/brake

Right trigger = shoot
    Right Bumper = ability
    Triangle = change weapons
    Square = reload
    Circle = get in/out
    Cross = Toggle Optics
    Left Stick Click = engage Afterburner
    Right Stick Click = Toggle FPV/3PV
  12. Ronin Oni

of course you can... just do the same thing.

brake, roll to side, vthrust up, and when thrusters change direction AB
  13. NoctD

Personally - I could never get used to those controllers ever. I have a PS3 and it sat and collected dust most of its life... the only game I really played on it was MGS4, which was an exclusive. MGS4 was definitely something worth experiencing though.

Keyboard/mouse master race forever, at least if you ask me.
  14. Goretzu

Joystick support is abysmal in PS2, try flying with one.
  15. Giligan96

"Keyboard/mouse master race forever, at least if you ask me."

Nobody is asking you, but thanks for your arrogant comment.

"If they let PS4 players play with keyboard and mouse then there's no excuse to not let the console gamers play on the same server. If it's not PC gamers farming the controller players, it'll be the M+KB players farming them."

LOLOL! WTF is wrong with you? Do you really think PS2 would be successful on the PS4 if we all jumped in with a bunch of PC master race elitists who have been playing since launch only to get 'farmed' over and over? Have you ever jumped into a competitive game that's been out for a while(>1yr) and loved getting 'farmed' by the vets? Do you use common sense?

I am an exclusive console player and own a PS4. I am very much looking forward to this game. I've been following it for a while and can't wait to be part of the large scale war it offers. The consoles have nothing that compares to the scale of PS2. I love it!
    Gleerok- you will love the DS4 for flying! You will love it for infantry.(as long as you don't compare it to m+kb) It is the most accurate and well fit controller I have ever used. And I've used them all!
    Look people, whether you play- PC or console, it comes down to your preference. We are all entitled to that. I grew up playing consoles so a controller is most comfortable and natural to me. M+KB is not. Period.
    The fact is that no matter how much you hate it, we need PC and consoles to maintain survivability. Think of the good PS4 players are going to bring to this game. The revenue alone will be enough to bring frequent updates and keep this game going for some time. I plan on spending some real cash!!
    It's not about PC master race BS vs. console peasants-whatever! It's about coming together as a community to support the game we love so it can thrive for years to come and it can see the necessary improvements that are needed.
  16. Ronin Oni

I know that, didn't say otherwise.

Hoping that PS4 version gamepad updates make it PC side... I'd never play with gamepad for infantry (though some could at a disadvantage obviously) but I think I'd find it more enjoyable for flying at least the non-ESF aircraft (ESF I think I might still need mouse precision with pitch, on PS4 that will be an even playing field though and make ESF's maybe a tiny bit less annoying for ground forces with more misses :p )

I was just saying that mapping the flight scheme in PS2 to a PS4 gamepad is actually quite easy.
  17. Zapon

Since when not leading platoons- I fly galaxies as my second main thing- I DO fly with a PS3 Dualshock controller, using BetterDS3 to handle it connecting to my PC

I fly my galaxy and Lib with it- and it is very awesome and works VERY WELL

I'd daresay I have a easier time than most PC pilots

Now, notice what I didnt mention- ESFs

My Scythe, because- aiming the nose cannon is ....very hard- and I have not gotten the hang of this- so I use mouse and keyboard
    I prefer this for shooting because regarding yaw, it's just flat out easier. And shooting wit hthe nosegun....i can't seem to precisely line them up for anywhere near as long as a mouse, if i do at all
    then again, i have difficulty aiming with a mouse now and then, so...

Now, if i want to fly through cannons inches from rock in my scythe - a Controller beats a mouse and keyboard, every single time, ten out of ten times
    I am very tempted to make the comment I doubt a joystick would be as moveable for canyon flying, or flying around a biolab bottom, as a game controller - but then again, joysticks today might be easier to move ....I have old ones, and I know they wouldn't - but i might also be spoiled on having two joysticks on the controller

For me, using the dualshock -
    square is reload, triangle switches weapons, circle is change view to third person, X i use for throttle stop
    right trigger- top is shoot, bottom right is ascend- l1 is activate zoom/thermal/view, and bottom left is descend-
    I use the dpad for abilities like flares or fire suppression, and I press down on the left analog stick for afterburner-
    Works pretty well- select for exiting vehicle- though i dont use that right now- but i go back and forth every rare while as far as that one goes....

The controller allows very precise flying- For my galaxy- I now dislike flying with my mouse and keyboard- same for liberator
    I am trying to practice keyboard with my scythe, but i will have both out and available

I also have my PS3 controller set up to let me control infantry and ground vehicles wit hit- for tanking, it works nicely- for other vehicles, it's so so

for infantry- same issue as ESF's , but it's far more apparent- the aiming isn't as rapid or fluid- i suspect this has to do with turning rates and me not being able to specify different turning rates from my mouse, for my controller.....so this is what they mean by PS2 not optimized for game controllers, eh?

My infantry controls use the COD scheme(shoot me, it works out decently, for this), and vehices, mostly similar to aircraft

however if the aiming was more responsive fluid, and (apologies for saying this), similar to how using a controller in a COD game on console handles- - someone with a very high controller turning rate , would give a lot of PC players a lot of h#ll

there's no doubt of that

as current, though, i dont know why it isn't fluid outside of not being designed for it- but we're off topic now anyway

for piloting -it is AWESOME, generally speaking. Try it out.
    I'd love to hear from OTHER ESF pilots that use game controllers , though.(I am not a full time dedicated ESF pilot, as a disclaimer)
    ...There might be better control schemes that work for adjusting yaw
    maybe if i used the dpad for fine tuning or something.... PS2 doesn't have a fine tuning rudder control though..hm

Oh, as for the reverse maneuver ...
    I can't 'properly' do it really- but I can comment

If i could master figuring out when the transition occurs- Yes, hitting the buttons in the right sequence, you can get that vertical thrust going VERY fast- and with the analog stick- it gets very easy to flip it
    • Up x 1
  18. Goretzu

I never said it wasn't. :confused:

Using it is the problem (or using it and not flying like you've had 15 pints of Guiness).

Like I said I suspect it'll have to get the "tank" treatment to make flying (not keymapping) viable on the PS4 controllers.
  19. Leftconsin

I can't do the reverse maneuver with a mouse. I am able to do it with joystick or controller.
  20. St NickelStew

Did you read the post immediately above yours in this discussion? It addresses some of your thoughts.