Upcoming MergerSmash Server Naming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BoucheDag, Jul 22, 2014.

1. BoucheDag

Hello everyone,

There has been some discussion about the naming of the "new" server after the Woodman & Miller MergerSmash. (this is coming from Woodman side, but I know Miller is also partially on this side)
    The goal of this thread is to let SOE know how many people would like the name to be something other than Woodman or Miller.

My suggestion is the following: All people on the new server (so this includes all players currently on Woodman & Miller) get to vote what the new server name will be.

My arguments for this are the following:
    • I personally feel that when we merge, we become a new community. We are not just two different communities like we were before but we are one bigger and more awesome community and I think such a big event should be accompanied by a new name.
    • There are people who would like a new name because they don't like any of the old ones.
    • There are people who would like a new name because they're afraid any of the old names might not be accepted by everyone.
    If you feel this way, or think the exact opposite please reply in this thread so we can discuss it (in a friendly matter)

Sincerely,

Bouche Dag.
    • Up x 5
  2. Kufwit

I agree that there should be a new neutral name for a fresh start. This should minimise any drama !
    • Up x 2
  3. Pikachu

Ceres+Cobalt should be renamed LithCorp
    Woodman+Miller should be renamed Mallory
    • Up x 1
  4. Desspa

i think a new server should have a new name.
    that place it's not going to be woodman or miller. it's going to be a different place. a fresh start for two great communities that will unite.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
    • Up x 3
  5. Kalivix

Definitely agree, you know full well that whoever wins the mash and gets to keep their name is going to piss on the other servers players until they change it, organisation will collapse as outfits from the winning side will end up dismissing and insulting the losers.

New name is by far the best option, hell I'd go as far as to say the smash shouldn't happen.. lets face it even if we let people vote for a name theres going to be a TON of tension and hate floating about if 1 server slaughters the other.
    • Up x 1
  6. Tactical Shrimp

The whole idea of a Merger smash just looks like it will cause a lot of dispute and unrest between the two servers once they merge, all together dividing the community :/
  7. cruczi

I for one couldn't care less what the server is called as long as it's Miller
    • Up x 1
  8. Ruvan

We've discussed this extensively already on /r/MillerPlanetside (with some of the discussion linked on /r/WoodmanPS2).

I feel a vote between all members of the servers is very impractical and time consuming for SoE to implement. Hence, everyone voting is unrealistic.

More realistic solution:

• The leaders of the outfits of the server that wins the MergeSmash get to vote and propose names (anyone who volunteered, not just the competing outfits).
    • One vote, one outfit.
    • How leaders reach the decision is up to them (whether they consult members or not).
    • You can't pick the name of your original server, it has to be a new name.
    Yea it's not 100% fair but at least it's practical and gives some idea of what the community would like. If Miller were the winning server, we could get this done and sorted in under an hour with no supervision necessary from SoE.
  9. Alge

If we randomize Miller outfits that are "allowed to attend" maybe we should pick a random name generator and randomize a random name.

This will be a *****ing charity event from Miller side.
  10. ThisurenB

If you want to make it fair you have to keep the original name as an option as well.

But I think it's ******** to do that. SOE made their decision. A server name is not really that important and people that are going to cry about their new server name will cry about anything, even if they don't like another neutral name.
  11. Kalivix

True when Woodman win we can probably chose it in under 30mins without help, its a good job this isn't about any sort of petty rivalry rearing up making outfits not work together.....

pssssst for those who aren't paying attention, its already happening in a thread before the merge, imagine this AFTER when 1 side has won.
  12. BaptistsK90

Whichever server wins we keep that name.
  13. Desspa

quote hell I'd go as far as to say the smash shouldn't happen.. end quote
    quote The whole idea of a Merger smash just looks like it will cause a lot of dispute and unrest between the two servers once they merge, all together dividing the community :/ end quote

guys you are missing the point !

it's a great thing that merger smash will happen ! 2 communities clashing one more time before they get merged into a new one..
    it will not divide us. it will create respect and unite us. it's a war game. we should kill each other !
    so.. this event is great both for miller and woodman. it's great because it will create a hype to get on the new server.

\!/\!/\!/
    the entire hype, mood, and fresh aspect can be lost if one server loses their name and the other keeps it. it will make the losers of that battle feel assimilated. and we are not losers. we are players that managed to keep up with all what the enemies and software threw at us!

can t wait to play on that new server but i hope it's not going to be called woodman2.0 or miller2.0.. that s a disgusting taught.
    i m bored of woodman fights. i m not interested in miller. i want a new server. so we can f#ck each other up there.

:p :p :p :p :p
    • Up x 1
  14. Kalivix

Its not going to unite.. its going to end up with the faction side that loses blaming each other so more hate for the other factions, and the outfits that win will most likely be arrogant and constantly ignore leaders of the losing server saying "well we won the merge". Its just going to create a horrible horrible divide
  15. zeGambling

1. Dictating the name is wrong
    I love to get a chance of fighting miller in a last battle. And to be honest I dont mind being called miller afterwards if the community agrees on that. But the fact that the company that is constantly beggin for our finacial support dictates the circumstances of the match is just economic nonsense. Its like "oh yeah we like when u suggest things" but only if we care. It leaves the feeling of " suck it up we are owning the game". This might be correct from a law standpoint but the reason why this game still existant is that community keeps it alive no matter how bad the development is progressing.
    x+y does not equal x or y. In a mergin progress something new will arise. Anything else is just assimilation. And its not called assimilation smash. So SOE if u are not able to get a new name for the server than let the community decide.

2. Playing on Jagers is no fun

Playing on Jagers will have a huge disadvantage and not everyone is aware of that. Noone will be able to create his own charackter. U will get a generic name within jagers (vanuplayer001, vanuplayer002 etc). U dont know how important names are in the heat of battle once they have been taken away from you.
    Ive experienced this in the Community Clash and its not possible to play on the same level as when u have your liveserver names. I know the enemy has to deal with it as well but I rather have a game where everybody can give their best under as good as possible circumstances. Poeple will maybe say "oh but u can use or squadnumber like alpha 2 ". Yes thats true but once u switch the beacon to someoneelse it will mess the whole thing up and the guy u used to be alpha 3 is now alpha5 or 7. I can just tell u based on my own experience it is how confusion this is from the perspective as grunt and suqadleader. If SOE is not capable of letting us create charackters on jagers than we should not play on jagers. But again SOE said "deal with it".

So pls SOE dont be the obnixous kid that decides things just because it can. Listen to want your costumers want.
    I want to have last battle against miller but the "s*ck it up" attidute of SOE really killed it for me. Im only playing because of my outfit is going to play it.
  16. Nyil

I agree, and I would loved to be able to choose our new name!
  17. Diodeone

Call it Werner

Fixed
  18. Noktaj

I think that the winning side should be allowed to choose the name from a pool provided by SOE.
    The name should be different from the ones we already have.

New community, fresh start, new name.
    Fair.
    • Up x 1
  19. Justicia

Actually we as organisation have asked for Jaeger for a long time and are extremely thankful that we are able to use Jaeger. If we as organisation would think that the PTS is better than Jaeger we would simply hold it on the PTS. There is no "deal with it" attitude from SOE, they are actually extremely helpful and these will be the first Server Smashes with an incredible amount of extra support from SOE. There is always room for improvement, and yes, I agree that it would be great if we could have players name their own characters. But your negative picture of SOE in this matter is entirely unjustified.
    • Up x 1
  20. Rachitynowy

i don't like this philosophy. Either it is MergerSmash where something is at stake or not.

This is competitive match with prize at the end. Someone looses and someone wins. How you would feel if after Argentina vs Germany match some random country (Bhutan i.e) would be named victor. Sounds wrong. Because this is wrong.

I've signined for this MergerSmash. If you want to change it, devaluate it then better preprare another round of signups because at least some people will loose interest in it.

And if you want to just cancel MergerSmash and make it some "Be-oh-so-friendly-and-best-not-shoot-each-other"Smash than there should be no wicked forumside parody of democracy here. SOE should decide the new name and not the ones proposed by players. This way it would be "fair".

This is exacly why Europe is so miserable now. This fear of competition. Fear of loosing. Everyone just fear everything. Man up, goddimit. Have some pride. Have some guts. And bear with looses. Do not cry like a baby.
    • Up x 1