Sniper Duels = Pay2Win

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by zaspacer, Jun 23, 2014.

1. zaspacer

Implant Hold Breath III is a massive advantage in all Sniping, including Sniper duels.

I don't run any Implants on my Sniper (can't afford to), and I just lost a 1-on-1 Duel to a Hold Breath II Sniper. Was silly how he could just sit there and wait and adjust, while I had to juggle a tinier Hold Breath which kept me off the trigger much more.

I have hated Implants from the start. I think they're especially vile P2W in Sniping and Sniper duels.
    • Up x 1
  2. Moz

Silly asthma ridden PS2 men :D

Seriously now, I can see your point here but its a long way from P2W. It is more than possible to get all the Implants you want without spending any money. I have all but 2 of them now.

Try playing one of the higher SPM classes like Mdeic or Engi for a while to increase your XP gain see if it helps to generate some implants faster.

Also, SoE need to take yet another look at the drop rate IMHO. They were to frequent before, then they hit the drop rate with the nerf bat in typical SoE fasion....... TO DAMN HARD (see rasser and liby for details).
    • Up x 1
  3. lawn gnome

i have been collecting loads of implants and chargers by simply playing. without spending any money i have enough charge built up to run a rank 3 implant for roughly 20 hours straight and i have been nano cycling my way to a specific rank 3 implant, i currently have 2 rank 3 implants in storage along with several other lower ranked implants.

according to steam i have played around 31 hours in the last 2 weeks (around 2 hours a day), so i am not very dedicated.

as far as i can tell running implants without spending any money is perfectly viable.

besides you can still hold your breath, and the person who spends too long holding their breath is taking their shot second, so you would be far better off learning to aim quickly instead of relying on some implant that encourages you to be lazy and slow.
    • Up x 5
  4. Seuchensaal

Just aim faster... hold breath is needed for max. 1 sec. The longer you wait with your shot, the more the other sniper deserves the kill. I do not even use this implant in my sniping loadout. Default one showing you health-bars is far more useful to pick all those low hanging fruits ;)

If you do not move as a sniper, you are dead. Fast. And you deserve it.
    • Up x 2
  5. BillHaverchuck

If you hold your breath more than the default time it means that a good sniper is going to kill you. Aim while cloaked, unclock holding shift and fire.
    • Up x 2
  6. Tyrant103

You shouldn't be needing Hold Breath implant, Argument invalid.

Cloak>Aim>Uncloak&Fire>Cloak.
    • Up x 6
  7. zaspacer

No. Cloak, leave cover (or otherwise move location), Loose Aim, Hold Breath, Tight Aim, Decloak, Shoot, Strafe right/left + Cloak, Return to cover (or otherwise move). This is the best way to fire on target with the minimum amount of uncloaked exposure.

I am not a rookie at Sniper duels. I have usually done very well in them. I just can't play the game in general AND keep enough Charges to pay for active Implants. That's great it YOU can play and keep Implant III active all the time, but that is not the case for a lot of us. So maybe it's just for the mid to low skill player it's P2W.

And anyone who doesn't think Hold Breath III improves their Sniping options, they are just in denial or ignorant.

I suppose I should thank SOE. They manage to make me addicted to their games, and then they ween me off by introducing content that slowly excludes me from the game more and more until the game I enjoy isn't really viable.

In a Sniper duel, you are either (1) dodging or behind cover or (2) Cloaked up and waiting where you expect them to show in Loose aim and waiting for them to De-Cloak. Having less hold breath gives you a much shorter Window to work with when juggling through the cycle.

And in a normal Sniping situation, Having up to +75% longer hold breath means you can actual get more kills per breath on a mass grouping, or just have more time to adjust if target fidgets between Tight Aim and Fire.
  8. Moridin6

Run without them til you can make a super charger, and then never worry about energy again
    • Up x 3
  9. Mongychops

Using a Hold Breath implant in a sniper duel is surely going to get you killed more often than not against a decent sniper. You need to line up your shot, decloak, and fire in under a second, then recloak and reposition before they can shoot back.

I always thought the hold breath implants were to try and make the high-zoom semi auto snipers competitive (they don't, really).
  10. Plunutsud pls

You don't even need a hold breath implant to win a sniper duel.

Those implants are for lining up several consecutive shots on targets who can't fight back at long range.

Hold breath is actually more likely to get you countersniped because it amplifies tunnel vision.
    • Up x 3
  11. Tyrant103

You hold your breath when you see them not when you can't. You are whining about P2W when you have alot to learn.. pfff.

Counter-sniping is one of my favourite situations in PS2, I don't use Hold Breath implants and have no problem killing one that does.
    • Up x 2
  12. McToast

Moin

I use Regeneration I for my sniper loadouts, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

Btw, I have maxed out energy and 1 super charger in reserve. Still waiting for that damn anti-radar implant.
    • Up x 3
  13. Chazt

I have a ton of implants without ever paying...
    • Up x 2
  14. Jawarisin

Take it from someone who played infiltrator more, sniped more, and has better stats. You don't need implants.
    • Up x 5
  15. dreamstarnight1

hehe haha
  16. Gemenai

Personally i don´t use implants (especially those op ones like regeneration and counterintelligence) ; i would find myself more in situations wasting energy on them, because they would do nothing in this particullar situation or are would do something practical but have to high engery costs.
    Maybe i´m just to scrimpy. So those 100+ small chargers and that dozen ultra chargers gonna rot there till hell freezes.
    And i think i don´t play exaggerating worse than other players using one ( **** you regeneration cowardly bastards) :)
    • Up x 1
  17. stalkish

I have that exact implant (hold breath III), along with sensor shield, EOD HUD II and various other Tier 2s and i have 100s of tier 1s stacked up ready for crafting.
    Have never paid for any implants.
    Cant see how its pay to win realy.
    Also i never, ever, run out of energy, even running EOD hud II all the time, infact my charger stack keeps increasing o_O.
    • Up x 2
  18. Moz

You gotta stop using that line dude..... You can prove your point without having to esentially say "i am better than you so you shall listen to me".
    • Up x 6
  19. zaspacer

Having Hold Breath III is not going to make me WORSE at counter sniping. I'm going to use the same tactics. I am not going to actually stay uncloaked longer. I just have (a) more trigger time access because less time proportionally is tied up in Scope Sway, and (b) better ability to do the predict-their-uncloak-point-and-Hold-Breath-fix-on-that-point-then-delcoak-and-fire-if-they-decloak-on target.

When facing vs. the most careful Snipers (the ones that only Cloak for the time it takes to fire), that "(b)" above can be a very effective and safe way to put them down. Most Cloakers stick to a limited number of positions because of limitations of their firing position and the parameters of their targets. You can use that limited number of positions to trap them.

And Mongychops, you should be moving (right or left, with forward or back motion depending on situation) and Re-Cloaking at the same time immediately upon pressing the fire button.

How would you even know when you've killed someone that is using Hold Breath?

What are you talking about? From what I can tell, (if you are Jawarisin, JawarisinNC, and JawarisinV) My stats have more time played as Infil and more kills made with Sniper Rifle. Our Accuracy with Sniper Rifle are pretty similar, with you slightly higher. Your Kills/Min is higher, but I play solo and have spent a lot of time just running places or sneaking behind enemy lines to hack and cause mischief or spawn Sunderers, and also I have a LOT more of my time spent firing Recon darts. I also spend a lot of time just Spotting with my Sniper Rifles.

But all that aside, we're talking a very niche activity that is not gonna show up in stats.

I think you missed the part in my follow-up most where I said:
    "That's great it YOU can play and keep Implant III active all the time, but that is not the case for a lot of us. So maybe it's just for the mid to low skill player it's P2W."

I currently save my Charges for using Enhanced Targeting while flying my ESF. I run Racer 3 and Fuel Pods, so knowing my targets health in order to know when to try to kill, when to run, etc. can be HUGE. I fly solo and I'm not an Ace, so kills are very slow and between Infantry and ESF I just make enough Energy to keep my ESF flying with a level 1 Implant: no Energy to spare for my Infantry.
  20. Moz

What the guys are trying to say is that the implants is OK, but it isnt the be all and end all. Which is 100% true.

If you have the skillset nailed you dont need the implants at all, they are still nice, but you dont NEED them.
    • Up x 2