Don't TK if booted from veh

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EViLMinD, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Silvermyst

Of course there's a flip-side to all of this. Fairly often while playing the game I'll want to gun a lib, so I'll go to the warpgate. Sure enough, they'll be a lib there with 2/3. So naturally I'll hop in. We'll take off, go to high altitude at the warpgate (ie: not towards the battlefield) and I'll get booted and fall to my death. Then they land, and repeat with whomever gets in. (I've witnessed a lib repeatedly do this to 3-4 different players. I warned them with the in game chat system, but nobody seemed to take notice and got in anyways)

They literally just troll people and make them get suicides. It's frustrating to experience, and it gives the rest of us vehicle pilots/drivers a bad name.

The fix I'd like to see in this particular situation is for lib drivers to be considered to TK their allies if they boot them and they fall to their deaths. That way it wouldn't work for trolls, and actual pilots who don't like their gunners would have incentive to actually land the lib before kicking the player out, or getting the ejection seat certification so kicking them won't kill them.

I think overall the entire gunner system needs a bit of a rethink and overhaul. There are a lot of little things that could be added or changed which would make the game a lot smoother and more convenient for everybody involved. SOE has done a bit on this front (adding gunner ammo symbols, giving driver's xp for gunners kills, etc.) but there's a lot more that could be done.

Another neat option would be to let the driver/pilot designate "engineer only" positions in their vehicle. That way a light assault, medic, etc. would get a message across their screen which would say "This vehicle is locked to non engineers" when they try to get in or "This vehicle position is locked to non engineers" when trying to change seats from a passenger to a gunner while in a sundy, for example.
    • Up x 2
  2. EViLMinD

What I suggested is not the same as "I need repairs"/"I need an engineer"/"Someone fix this up!"
  3. oberchingus

I'm so grateful I don't have this problem. Long live the members of the harasser community!
  4. FigM

however, if you boot someone from your vehicle and then kill them, then TK of your vehicle is justified retaliation
    • Up x 4
  5. MagMourner

If I get into an open seat and get booted out, they quite often now say 'Sorry' and I just 'Confirm' on the voice callouts and that's that, no hard feelings. "This isn't the droid you are looking for" so to speak.

The first few times I got booted I was offended - especially as I usually WANT a gunner to come and join me, but with experience this isn't a problem.

A bit more thought into the control of a gunner - and the attraction of a gunner - would be useful. The additional voice callouts is a good suggestion. The ideal is to play with a friend of course, or join a squad and get to know the good gunners etc. etc. - but some additional help for the more random players (like myself) would be much appreciated...
  6. Runegrace

Even if you're engineer, they still don't know how skilled you are. Many times I've had a pub jump into the tail gun on my lib and were unable to hit with a single bullet. Had the slot been empty my gunner could at least have swapped, but having the pub in there it was as if I had un-installed the gun entirely.

With Harassers I've had the engineer in the back have his gun out the whole time, shooting at tanks and never going for repair. Again, it basically removed the rumble seat from the vehicle. Had he not been there are all, we could have at least repaired while running away.

So I think the people that are kicking you out either are going to pick up a squad mate, or have had one too many experiences with really bad pubbies.
  7. XsolarflareX

Can't tell you how often I've run into that type of situation. Over time it's left me jaded. I started out having outfit members laugh because I would stop to pick up anyone, or let any person who wanted to gun my vehicles get a shot. Not so now. I've had people gun my gal and miss every shot while hovering over infantry. Ten shots from a bulldog, not one kill. Others who jump into my tank, then go afk right when we encounter opposition. or the absolute worst, sneaking up on a tank, getting perfect position, only to have the gunner jump out and try to kill the tank with a launcher or engy turret. why??
    Nowadays I ask a few simple questions to see if people stay. if flying I ask them not to waste rounds. first shot made into nothing, your out. With my tank, I explain the playstyle and if I get no confirmation, or an idiot response, your out. I'm tired of losing resources and getting killed because people are to stupid to listen.
  8. MonnyMoony

The problem is - in the heat of battle it can be difficult to swap roles - and any role jumping in the gunner seat can be an asset.

On numerous occasions I have jumped into a Sundy as a LA or Infil and single handedly fought of suicide C4 LAs. Same with the Magrider - if I see one passing unmanned - I will often jump in regardless of my current role. If i'm with the same driver for an extended period - i'll often hop out when convenient and change to Engie (asking them to wait a sec whilst I swap) - but to deny any role other than an engineer the chance to gun will IMO be a bad move.
  9. Silvermyst

I totally agree with you about using different classes than engineers, which is why I said that we could "let the/pilot designate engineer only positions in their vehicle." It's not that it would come standard, it's that pilots/drivers could do it if they wanted to, and switch it back in forth using their vehicle menu. If someone doesn't like the system they don't have to use it as a driver/pilot. (I didn't specify the bit about the vehicle menu before even though I thought it. My bad communication, sorry.)

That way you could also lock out seats to engineers only when specifically trying to pick up a gunner while not in combat, such as in the warpgate, or after a base has been captured and everybody's just scrambling for a ride. If on the other hand you find yourself going into a combat situation without a gunner and just want anybody onboard you could "open it up" to get whomever will help.

Finally, another thing I thought of just now (still working out the details of the system), the driver/pilot could get a text pop up saying "A non engineer is trying to access your vehicle but has been blocked" when it happens, so that if you forget it on and you just need anybody to get in while in a tight situation, you could quickly go switch it. (hopefully quickly enough, and hopefully the person will attempt to enter again.)
  10. MajiinBuu

There's always some guy who puts a rocket in your back if you don't give them a free ride
  11. SNAFUS

It is actually funny seeing a trail of randoms follow my lib trying to get in at the warp gate. I usually have to tell my gun teams to hurry up due to the silly people getting mad that I locked my lib from. People need to understand that many pilots are picky on who gets in their aircraft as all of my gunners have to be on TS with me. Best to always ask if a spot is available before you rage out and try to deci a lib for denying you next time.
  12. PWGuy93

Concur. Jumped in a sundie that was the last one out of the base, along the way the driver decided to boot everyone claiming it was for squad use only - he didn't have any members of his squad in the sundie. When he dumped all of us, a Magrider was behind and ran all of us over. I talked to the driver, spawned an HA and let him know his actions had consequences.
  13. Silvermyst

Another story to prove that if a player gets forcibly booted from a vehicle and dies within, say 10 seconds it should be counted as a TK for the driver.

Getting dropped from galaxies/liberators is an even better example of this. It happens all the time and results in "suicides" by the people who were dropped. Only it isn't suicide. It's team killing murder.
  14. EViLMinD

The frequency of people attacking me in spite for booting them is stupid. It's really pissing me off. I loath these people. They're trolls. Back stabbing... mother.... I want their houses to burn down.

Only when an 'ally' attacks me will I kill them. If all they do is keep jumping back in after I've booted them, I'll drive to a remote location and leave them there. I have no patience for that kind of bs.
  15. Frozen-K

I've had people do that to me. I give them a free ride...To the deployment screen. Followed by a tell of "Mine's bigger."
    • Up x 1
  16. DFDelta

*raises hand*
    Guilty as charged.

When I'm with friends I usually lock my vehicles so only they get in.

When lone wolfing I used to keep my vehicles open, but in the last months I found myself locking more and more often.
    If I've forgotten to lock (but was planning to do so, which is almost always nowadays) I'll kick the guy jumping into my secondary and say sorry.

I'm sick of random gunners plinking my Kobalt at the MBT 150m in front of us instead of killing all those squishy chunks of XP standing around between us, despite my /tells and prox chats explaining that he doesn't even deal damage to tanks.
    I'm sick of people firing my halberd/enforcer/saron at random ESFs at render distance despite the fact I'm currently fighting 2 lightnings less then 50m away from me.
    I'm sick of randoms jumping into my Vulcan and immediately emptying 5 magazines worth of bullets into the ground behind us for no other reason then "lolz".

I'm not against having randoms in my vehicle (as long as they're engies), some of the best tanking sprees I've had were with randoms. But with about 80% of all people you pick up being morons and more of a danger then a help to you I've become very reluctant to try it.

To add something to the OP
    I hate those people doing that. Same with people running up to your vehicle, finding out that its locked, then attach some C4 and threaten to blow it if you don't let them in. What. (Had that happen twice, reported both for harassment) Ofc I removed the C4 in the only way possible, aka "respawn despawn".
    Or heavies running up to your 2/2 MBT, can't get in and then bust a rocket into your rear.

A good one I've had a few months ago:
    I've been in my AV/Saron stealth Magrider with a friend riding secondary. I didn't lock because if locked and your squaddie gets into the driver seat accidentally your tanks has a tendency to make a 360° spin and kill you (or, rarely, to teleport away). We needed to repair, magburned into cover and got out. While we were repping a random engie jumped in and started firing my Saron at nothing (no LoS to anything hostile from there, also remember: stealth tank -> "shooting at nothing = bad"). I booted him out and while we were discussing on TS about which way to flank we suddenly explode to a tank mine from Mr.Random. I asked him in a /tell what the heck he was doing and got the answer "that was for kicking me on a battlefield". What. (again)
  17. Alabammer

If they do, I just turn and shoot them with my halberd, I dont tolerate @ssholes in this game, if I kick you out of my harasser if your so mad that your not having as much fun as I am at that second, cert out a harasser yourself and come after me, problem solved. I can tell you with all certainty that there is always someone willing to hop in your harasser if you pull it and its certed (or even looks certed but isnt). The quality of these people is unfortunately a total crapshoot.

CAN I JUST SAY THOUGH THAT IF NOT FOR A GUY LETTING ME TRY HIS FULLY CERTED HARASSER I WOULDNT HAVE MY OWN!!!!! (and yes all caps to that).

I really dont mind people hopping in my back seat, for instance if Im with a zerg, I dont mind giving a guy a lift to the next base, but I do kick him out once hes there. I dont know I have alot of mixed feelings on this whole issue. Ive had really good gunners hop in mine randomly, and Im a very good shot that people usually are like "holy crap Im having fun with you hitting all this stuff" when I hop in their buggy. However if Im in solo harasser mode, with my dedicated driver on and were running and gunning, I have squad lock on (so he can drive when I pull) and he keeps his squad locked because unlike me he is very distrustful of random people in the back seat....

Finally, it just gets annoying that about 1in4 times my friend and I pull a buggy some clown shoots at it with his gun to get in... The most annoying thing in this game to me (besides flipping for no reason) is when someone shoots at your vehicle causing damage so they can get a ride (usually as your driving away from the base anyways).... I just wish I could yell in real life at these people "I know youre there, and Im damn sure not gonna give you a ride now."
  18. TelkwaHV

If we're defending a base and a tank's gunner is empty and I hop in and contribute to his points by killing stuff and he boots me for no effing reason, I blow his tank up I don't care. HE is the *******.
  19. Flag

Why don't you pull your own tank?
    Did it ever occur to you that he's kicking people out because he's been TKed for no reason?
    Yes, you C4ing his tank for not being allowed to gun it is a "no reason".
  20. DFDelta

Maybe you're killing the wrong stuff?
    Maybe he is running that gun for a very specific reason and you're blocking him?
    Maybe he is having the Walker up there so he can shoot down strafing ESF. Even if you used it to gain a lot of points (and in the right hands and situation a Walker can be a reasonably good AI weapon) you'd still block his use of the gun and probably be worse for him.
    Maybe he pulled the Kobald so he can quickly get into a point defense weapon when his radar picks up something flanking, or to get the drop on those 2 wraith flashes that blow up one tank after another. He can't know if you're as fast as him and he kicks you to be sure.
    Maybe a friend just came online and is on-route to the tank, and he kicked you to make room for him.

People like you are the reason most tankers I know go perma-locked in the first place.