Turret stabilization: will you drive in first person or remain in third person?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mrasap, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Mrasap

This is referring to the post of Kevmo on the gameplay forums:

"Primary tank turrets will be stabilized. As the tank goes over rough terrain, the elevation of the turret won’t change with it (unless it hits a constraint)."

Experienced drivers are aware that your main gun is already stabilized if you drive in third person view. My question is directed to tankers who are currently driving in third person view: will you start driving in first person or remain in third person?

I personally drive my AP lightning in third person view and I will remain doing so as it gives me a better field of view. Therefore I won't hit those annoying rocks and I will be better aware of my surroundings. What about you?
  2. Frozen-K

I alternate driving views based on what I'm doing, I imagine it'll be the same for everyone else. Third for driving, first for active combat.
  3. M2_Bradley

If I need to attempt to hit something on the move,I'll go first person.For extra situational awareness,always take 3rd person.Who knows.You might actually see a C4 fairy trying to put bricks of happiness on you.
  4. Takoita

How should I know? I would need to see how it is actually implemented on practice before I can answer.
  5. Scett

does this also include rotational stability?
    or will the turret still turn when i turn the body?

cause half assing something like this won't make much of a difference.
  6. baka

"As the tank goes over rough terrain, the elevation of the turret won’t change with it"

My concern is that they are taking stabilization too far. All the turrets really need is shock dampening, not steady-cam. They will likely reduce the stabilization amount in a few months to "balance" it against the Mag rider.
  7. Astoral

How can you aim in third person view? There's no cross hairs
  8. Frozen-K

The middle of your screen is where your shots are going to fly, no matter where you're looking. For close range aiming, you don't need to really compensate for drop, which makes it ideal for close range engagements where you need to move over hills. It still is tricky to do and does take practice.
  9. Flag

Yet he does mention that this is only true as long as the gun won't hit the limits of traverse. Not in those words but that meaning.