With the stabilization buff, the Prowler and Vanguard will be able to strafe 3x faster than the Mag

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ztiller, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flag

The mag can still do most of what it could do back then, it just takes skill to do it.
    When it comes down to it, the current mag is kinda close to what it used to be back then, but the mag never dominated like it once did. But what has changed is that Magburn has been nerfed and how the higher velocities on the P2 and Titan guns are direct counters to what was a magrider advantage.

You can say that this isn't related, but shooting on the move and evasion are two sides of the same coin.
  2. WolfA4

All the guns are getting their velocities reduced which will make evasion easier at range. I disagree, evasion and shooting on the move are not two sides of the same coin. You can evade without being able to shoot on the move, is it not true that you would be able to evade shots with strafing even if you did not have a stabilized gun? Shooting while moving is an aggressive act, it's attacking, evasion is defensive by nature.

People got used to the idea that the Magrider was the only stabilized gun and now that other factions are getting it they are incorrectly assuming that other factions are getting their traits. The stabilized gun is not a faction trait and nothing about the changes to the game have supported that idea.
  3. MonnyMoony

So the other tanks cannot fire whilst moving? News to me. They may not be as effective at doing it - but they still can (I engage MBTs and Lightnings all the time that fire on me whilst moving).

Comparing armour to the prowler only tells part of the story. Doesn't the Prowler's double barrel main gun have a much faster fire rate and reload speed (and therefore a much higher DPS) as compared to the Magrider's.

The fact is - unless the Magrider is currently massively overpowered (which I dont believe it is) - this will mean the other tanks gaining a huge advantage over it.
    • Up x 1
  4. WolfA4

Who said they couldn't? The point of the change isn't to give them the ability to fire, it's to make them actually effective at it. As it were, currently moving while firing is not an effective tactic for any tank other than the Magrider.
    And the Magrider gets an increased maneuverability. DPS and ROF have always been TR traits, Maneuverability has always been the Mag's trait, NOT firing while moving.

What this means is that you guys don't like the fact that other tanks are gaining something. None of the changes to the Mag over the last 2 years have pointed to the Mag being the only one able to shoot and move, or at least none that I can remember.

I'll say it again, the PS2 community got used to the idea, but that does not mean it was the intended idea.
  5. Moridin6

while we gain, what? what keeps the balance when TR and NC gain and we stay unchanged, if not lessened, by this?
  6. WolfA4

Why do you need to gain anything? The ability to shoot and move should have been in for every tank in the game, it's not supposed to be a Vanu specific trait. I'll ask again, what indications have you received over the life of the game lead you to believe that moving and shooting are supposed to be a Vanu specific trait?
  7. Moridin6

im not talking about moving and shooting, specifically, or any ability in particular, im talking about what sets a magrider apart from a prowler or vanguard? what "cool" and "functional" thing do we have, that they dont, that puts us on "even" ground in a battle?
    hovering over things isnt very helpful, and the fixed cannon is def a detriment.
    we should Get Something because tanks a relatively equal as it is (aside from the bs blue shield), so if 2 out of 3 get a buff the 3rd drops behind in effectiveness.
    im not by any means saying other tanks shouldnt have the ability to Effectively move and shoot, what im saying is, you cant just buff two factions and buff our "faction advantages" out the window. Hook the magrides up to compensate for the Buff (theres no other way to look at it) to the other two MBTs
  8. lawn gnome

i suspect that with these new powers the other factions (NC/TR) will be about the same for a while because they will have to learn how to do something other than camp, but as soon as they figure out they can reliably follow magriders AND shoot on the move accurately most magriders won't stand a chance, because having a little more mobility over rough terrain is not likely to save the magriders from all of their other limitations when compared to the other tanks. other tanks get to choose which facing shots hit them on (i know i do it all the time with my skyguard) and other tanks can run away while firing.

it will probably take some time for the majority of other tankers to figure out just what they are capable of after the change, but when they do the VS are very likely to outright lose the tank war on all fronts.

currently magriders are difficult, but with skill and proper use of tactics can hold their ground against other tanks. if the other tanks creep into the magrider mobility advantages there will be almost nothing left for the magrider.

we won't know until the patch happens, but what i have read leaves me fairly concerned.
  9. WolfA4

The ability to move in 8 directions rather than 2. Magburning into areas that other tanks can't get into. Strafing, obviously. Hovering over obstacles. Also the hovering increases the likelihood that shots will fly below your tank, I know it's not something you can count on like a shield, but it definitely does happen.

What I've been saying is that it's not a buff, but a quality of life improvement. Its on the same level as giving ESF's a lock-on indicator that distinguishes between air and ground.
  10. DeathFX

So true =/ ... First time I genuinely feel sorry for another faction =/
  11. MajiinBuu

What exactly does turret stabilization have to do with strafing (or turning cannon 90 degrees while moving forward/backward)?
    All tanks(minus magrider) have always been able to do this, less jolting when hitting stuff won't make much of a difference.
    By the way 3rd person view stabilizes the turret. It has never been a problem.
  12. DeathFX

Oh lol. Damn. The power of omitting stuff from a sentence ...

I don't know how long it will take for tank pilots to realize the change tho. Wonder how much of a percentage ForumSide is compared to PlanetSide.

@ MajiinBuu > Well it's only noticeable in short range tank battles. It's an ability to maneuver freely while having no accuracy penalty. Though with the shorter range for tanks, it might come in play sooner than later. Didn't know about the 3rd person stabilization, nice. Isn't 3rd person awkward for aiming though? I recall someone on forumside saying that shot's don't land in the center of the screen while in 3rd person. Might be wrong about this tho.
  13. lawn gnome

as a skyguard pilot i will tell you that being able to ignore bumps in the road can be huge (i am that crazy guy who actively hunts liberators on connery with a skyguard, i chase them through the mountains and hills as they try to tank bust me), but i think the thread has just generally boiled over into "magriders are screwed" territory.
    • Up x 1
  14. FBVanu

Not really... if you read the proposed changes, they will nerf the projectile speed and increase the drop... so we will be able to shoot on the move.. but the shell will never get there..
    Pretty soon tank shells will be so slow, you have to throw a sandwich after it, 'cause they are starving on their way to the target..
  15. lawn gnome

according to the stats i have seen you will still have MORE shot velocity than the current (pre nerf) magrider cannons.
  16. FBVanu

from the PS2 Game Discussion, Tank and Liberator changes:

• Tank effective ranges are being reduced. This consists of adding gravity and slowing down projectiles.
      • This should encourage tanks to get closer to the targets they intend to fight.
    With the above three changes combined we hope to see tanks more involved in the battle.

will post the link here in the next post...
  17. FBVanu

18. lawn gnome

i have read it, but the point still stands. with how i currently understand the numbers the other two tanks will still be slightly better than the magrider is currently (with respect to range and shot velocity).
  19. Moridin6

those are not Effective enough to have the magrider Still be "equal" in power to the other factions. Its not a quality of life improvement its a freaking BUFF. making it easier to shoot things = buff, plain and simple. and again it was one of the FEW things that magriders had keeping them alive besides driver skill. the vanu get shafted all the time and its really disheartening .
    • Up x 2
  20. vanu123

For strafe to remain viable the Magrider speed is going to need an absurd speed boost, around 20kph+, along with an omni burner, and the old 1 shot saron.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.