With the stabilization buff, the Prowler and Vanguard will be able to strafe 3x faster than the Mag

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ztiller, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfA4

IS the change of direction for the mag take anywhere near as long as it takes the prowler or vanguard to turn 90 degrees?
  2. Silvermyst

If they buff the magrider's acceleration and/or turn speed by 10% it'll be fine.

Hopefully they've thought through it a little and will make some other minor changes to balance out the stabilization.

One of the problems is that the roadmap isn't very specific, so we won't know if they are making those minor changes. I imagine there's a lot of little tweaks that happen in the background which we won't know about until after launch, and even then most people won't noticed them.

And on top of that, the changes that they announce are often vague enough that people don't realize how strong or weak a buff/nerf is. Just because players have assumed that it's going to be a major change doesn't mean that it is.

For example, they say they're nerfing tank shell velocities and giving them more gravity...

They could be nerfing them by 5%, which would increase the amount you have to lead your targets and aim above them by such a small amount that most player's wouldn't even notice unless they're at extreme range.

Or they could be nerfing them by 40%, which would make firing at any sort of range downright hard compared to now.

Until they either give us more details or release the patch we just won't know.
    • Up x 3
  3. Flag

If the mag has to come to a stop, then accelerate the other way... then yes. Should be about as long.
  4. DeathFX

Go back and re-read what I said. I'm not even going to bother reading and answering further because you're not bothering either. Sorry to have gone to this but it's the truth.
    • Up x 1
  5. WolfA4

You think you got me with my own argument by confirming that circling in tanks is not a viable tactic? Do you think I was trying to make it seem viable?

Anyone can attempt to circle in a tank, but it's not viable. Unless your enemy panics you aren't gaining any advantage my circling, the only thing you are doing is increasing the likelihood that you'll run into a rock or tree, and also making it easier for the enemy tanker to get behind you.
  6. WolfA4

Except that's not how Magriders work. Not only can they strafe side to side while driving forward, they can also instantly transition into strafing from forward. I know this because I literally just confirmed it in game. So I'll ask you again, this time please do not commit intellectual dishonesty I don't want to have to post a video of me literally strafing in a Magrider, does a Magrider take as long to strafe as a Vanguard or Prowler does to turn 90 degrees?
  7. Flag

Oh I know how magriders work. And I'd go as far as to say that you can't properly compare the two methods.
    • Up x 1
  8. DeathFX

-Sigh- What do I have to do to get the thread back on topic? It really doesn't matters if it's called strafing or not. How can one explain this to people? It's a hard dilemma, you know? ... Every-day from now on, I will sleep and scream in my nightmares, because people couldn't understand such a small thing as staying on topic, and that definitions aren't on topic in this thread ...

I am doomed, aren't I? ...

Anyway, Flag, send me a PM. Let's take a couple videos circling around stuff so people actually see what we mean. It's pointless to try and explain to someone that circling with a stabilized gun is going to break magriders when they're busy telling you that circling is not strafing.
    • Up x 1
  9. MonnyMoony

With all the semantic arguments - people seem to be missing the key point here. This change isnt about whether the other MBTs get identical or even comparable maneuverability to the Magrider. The point is that the other MBTs are getting a huge buff to their maneuverability and gun stability - buffs that will have relatively little (if any) effect on the Magrider.

Whether or not this buff gives the same or even comparable capability to the Magrider is largely irrelevant - they point is - they will be far better in close engagements than they are now, whereas the Magrider will be largely the same. Relatively speaking - the other MBTs are getting buffed relative to the Magrider.

This isn't about absolutes - it's about how tanks compare against each other. The other MBTs get some of the Magrider's capabilities (gun stabilisation, increased maneuverability) - but the Magrider's doesn't appear to be getting any of the other MBTs capabilities to compensate (i.e. stronger or faster firing main gun, increased front armour etc).
    • Up x 4
  10. DeathFX

Thankyou! Finally someone getting on topic!
    • Up x 2
  11. WolfA4

If you do know how Magriders work why did you state that you can't transition into strafing without stopping when that is in fact not true? I think you can compare them, if it takes me longer to turn my tank and drive forward than it does for you to simply start strafing then you have an advantage in terms of mobility.
  12. lothbrook

I don't see driving back and forth as a viable strategy for a VG or Prowler, however now we can charge forward and continue to fire on magriders accurately, thats the real bonus.
  13. WolfA4

Why does the Magrider have to be the only tank with a stabilized gun? It has the same armor as a Prowler both front back and rear with increased maneuverability as their trait. The ability to shoot while moving wasn't exclusive to Magriders in the first iteration of the game and it was never really an empire trait to begin with, but a byproduct of not having treads on the ground. The Vanguard and Prowler aren't getting something while the Magrider gets nothing, they are getting something they should have always had.
  14. DeathFX

Just got in game and tested maxed out Rival chassis VS no upgrades. Circle non-strafing is MUCH easier with the Rival chassis. Gun stabilization added to this would enable Prowlers and Vanguards to circle non-strafe around enemies at a much higher rate than the Magrider. WolfA4, instead of arguing about it on the forums, how about we both get in game and see the results?

Aside from that, once more, you're pretending that somebody says something when they did not. Flag talked about inertia, not ability/inability to engage strafing while in motion.

Once more, for somebody giving advice to "know what you talk about", you're not not in position to do that. Please quote explicitly where Flag says:

Again, two can play the words game.
  15. Flag

Right, fair enough.
    But at the same time, after the patch goes life (and if the stability will be equal) it's going to be a minor difference.

... it won't be. That's the entire premise of the flare-up on the forum since yesterday.
    More to the point, the manoeuvrability advantage alone doesn't compare favourably against a flat survivability or damage advantage that the other two MBTs have.
    Also, that shooting on the move wasn't an originally intended advantage is at this point meaningless. Since then it's been "balanced" around the idea that it has this advantage over the other two. Now that it being made equal for them all it does mean the Mag needs something else to make up for this loss of an advantage. Sure, the mag hasn't -lost- some capabilities, but it has lost the advantage it once had.
    So it is entirely fair to ask for compensation for this change.
    • Up x 2
  16. WolfA4

See I don't remember a single change in this game that has focused on the Magrider being able to shoot on the move. The changes I've seen to tanks has always been in regards to the Magrider being able to strafe sideways to avoid enemy fire (why the AP rounds increased in velocity), and being able to hover over obstacles (why your Magrider's hover height has been increased since initial release). I can't think of a single buff or nerf in the game which was aimed at the Magrider's ability to shoot and move, that's why I call it a byproduct rather than an intended balance.

From my experience in the game the Magrider had the ability to shoot on the move not because of balance, but because of bad design on the developer's part (I'm sure this will earn me another ban from the forum). Wouldn't it be logical that if the Magrider's actual intended benefit was shooting on the move that it would have received more synergistic abilities, say like omni-directional magburning, and at least slightly heavier front armor with slightly weaker side armor?
  17. DeathFX

Anyway, I have thrown my 20 cents into the pile. WolfA4, once you're done arguing about things which are not pertinent to the subject, like the definition of the word strafing, and once you're willing to be proved wrong in game, please let me know. I have no more intention to retort to speculation which is not in the slightest form on topic. Send me a PM once you're ready to be proven wrong, and we'll figure it out without the needless exchange of futility.
  18. Flag

"The Great Magrider Nerf" of GU2 did, by ruining the tank.
    The reason you've not seen it since is that they fumbled it so hard the first time that even mentioning doing it again (most of it was reverted) would have caused a firestorm on all channels.

It started as a result of the design, but was incorporated into the balancing after a while.
    Honestly, I'm wondering if you paid much attention 18 months ago when the mag -did- have a very distinct advantage of mobility, and how they solved it (starting with GU2). What is happening in the upcoming patch will in fact (finally) deal with some of the changes they did back then, notably the disparity of shell velocities.
    • Up x 2
  19. Moridin6

for sure. and Thats what scares me as a mag driver. that whole Charge forward while aiming smoothly thing is one of our few unique tank traits that Doesnt suck(fixed cannon). and now its not going to be unique.. i hope we get one hell of a speed buff :/
  20. WolfA4

The distinct advantage 18 months ago wasn't because of the stablized gun, it was because of the vastly increased strafing speeds making it much harder for other tanks to hit the Magrider from a distance, it's also why the Vanguard initially had a lock-on missile for the Enforcer rather than it's current iteration. The Magrider was also able to climb terrain better than any other vehicle in the game, prior to GU02 there weren't any balance changes in the game made that were distinctly targeted towards the Magrider being the only tank capable of shooting on the move. So what exactly about the maneuverability nerf are you referring to had anything to do with the Mag being able to shoot on the move?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.