Continent Locking mini-update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MuldoonX9, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Rhumald

It's planed release is this month, along with Hossin... both of which are about 1.5 year old announcements.
  2. PhantomOfKrankor

Indarside easily conquered the Esamir and Amerish remakes, which had nice numbers on them for a week or two after their respective releases. Everyone went back. Actually I think that (non-alert) Amerish had more consistent, healthier numbers before the update.

The plan is a continent will lock until another one is locked, then the previously locked one will unlock. The only meta this will bring to the game is faction leadership negotiating with the opposition to allow an Esamir / Amerish lock to unlock Indar, on the off chance that Indar is locked. Don't hold your breath for a global lettuce with a bunch of continents.
  3. Anti-Skub

What I would like to see is for 1 continent to be constantly locked, possibly 2 with the addition of Hossin, or however many that are needed so that the unlocked continents are close to full at peak hours. Once the continent locks it would only be unlocked by locking a different continent. That way the population will flow around each map rather than staying on Indar until it locks, switching maps while it's locked and the switching back when it's unlocked...because you know that will happen.

The requirements to lock a continent could steadily reduce from 100% over time to avoid any one continent from locking for too long. So for example when an alert started it you would need to capture all facilities to lock it, a day later you might only require 50% of them to win.

Lastly I think there should be some prize worth having for locking a continent. Something along the lines of a random box that could contain high level implants, ultra chargers, 1 day XP boosts, and a small chance for a random item from the store (you could limit that reward to only ever be available once a month to stop people being able to farm). Alternatively, something like an XP boost for the whole of whatever faction locks the continent until it unlocks.

I really hope they don't try and please everyone by making it have as little impact on the game as possible. "Hey you guys who wanted continent locking? Here it is...but don't worry you guys who refuse to leave Indar because the lock only lasts for 30 seconds! Everybody's happy right?"
  4. PhantomOfKrankor

Continent Locking is planned for this month, but that will not include an Intercontinental Lattice as shown in that post. As you pointed out in your previous post questioning these mechanics, the locking mechanics we are getting would not be compatible with a global lattice that has the home continents, home warp gates, etc in that graphic.
    • Up x 1
  5. iller

Indar will never get locked. That is why Locking will kill off the rest of the game for everyone who doesn't play Indar-side 24/7
    • Up x 1
  6. Scr1nRusher

When can We siege/Capture warpgates?

Also please make it so the out of bounds range near warpgates is behind the Defensive Tower emplacements or on the shield itself.(Since invulnerability is gone, any exploiting would be killed off)
  7. Jaedrik

I think I need new pants.

THANK YOU BASED MULDOON.

ALSO CONTINENTAL LATTICE WHEN?
  8. Pikachu

W
    When all 3 battle islands are ready in late 2015 or so.
    • Up x 2
  9. Leftconsin

My main concern is logging in and finding my choice of fight is between just two bases because we've been locked out of everywhere else.

I'm sure Im a minority in this, but I prefer the 12-24 and 25-48 fights. Are those going to go away in preference to 200+-200+ fights at every available base?
  10. Rhumald

I understand your point of view, but this is why I'm asking for Clarification.

Unless you're an SOE employee and can actually confirm that we are not getting the continent lattice, or have something you can link me to from SOE, I'm inclined to wait for clarification from an actual employee, as they are both scheduled for this month in the roadmap, and I have seen nothing to indicate that either is being pushed back.
  11. Pikachu

Higby has said it in some interview. Also how could we have it with no battle islands?
  12. kirinohana

So this helps the game because it concentrates people in fewer maps? Essentially a band-aid for falling populations? Aren't the other two maps essentially abandoned anyways? I just don't get the big deal.
  13. ShadowViper

End game progress/ rewarding gameplay, it's never been a band aid for a falling population.
    • Up x 1
  14. Morchai

Some think it will improve the meta game. Others think it will be good for the game because they think it will encourage fights off of Indar. As a player who likes Indar, though, I think it will hurt the game because it will force fights off of Indar and reduce population as those uninterested in fighting in vehicle unfriendly environments opt out of participating.

Any meta objectives I pursue will be to keep Indar open or to unlock it. I won't fight on Esimir at all, and I won't fight for the losing side on any continent other than Indar as that would simply delay Indar's unlocking.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jeslis

Lets say all 4 continents can locked at once.. and lets say NC has locked 2 of them.

Do you honestly think, with BOTH other factions seeing that... that EITHER of the 2 remaining continents, with all the remaining VS and TR factions forced into, will be possible to continent lock at the new 94% level?
    I dont think so.

Any limit is... kinda pointless...
  16. Jaedrik

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Don't play with my heart like that!
    Buzz said it would never happen, but I still have hope!
  17. Rhumald

How do we get all the weapons we've gotten without prior announcements (not that they'd really need to implement them in an early itteration)?

I'd very much like to see the interview if anyone has a link to it, it seems kind of weird that they'd leave it on the June schedule if they actually intended to have it on the back burner, and I do like the idea of the continental lattice links, even as is; it represents a serious step forward in game mechanics to me.
  18. PhantomOfKrankor

As Pikachu said, Higby said it on a Reachcast podcast interview a week or two ago, and other devs hyping Locking on twitter & reddit have been mostly quiet when asked for clarification, but have said locking will basically be an alert system. There were a few multi-page threads on the subject shortly after the "soon" announcement a week or so ago and I don't recall any official responses there.

I take no offense at your asking for sources on this, and I hope not to offend you, but honestly I can't be bothered trying to go through a 2 hour podcast or go back and look for the reddit threads and twitter posts. Unfortunately SOE is setting themselves up to underwhelm the players again with a lack of quality communication through official channels, but damn do they get some reddit karma.

Edit, I think it was this podcast: http://reachcastshow.com/planetside-2/podcast/episode-86
    • Up x 1
  19. Morchai

Without the battle islands, wouldn't the lattice links be meaningless? Each continent would still be linked to all 3 of the others. Esimir would remain permalocked because nobody would want to bother taking it except whatever faction had it's home warpgate there. All the action would still be on Indar.
  20. ScrapyardBob

I would imagine that such an alert would not have a time limit, but would end either when:
    • One faction captures the continent
    • The dominant faction loses enough territory to drop below the threshold
    Assuming that it triggers when one faction has say 75% (guesstimate) of a lock, and ends either once they achieve full-lock or get punted back to having less then 50% (guesstimate) of the continent ownership... what mechanism will be in place to stop some sort of see-saw abuse where one side ramps up to 80% ownership, then lets it fall back to 45%, etc.?

You could keep that entire continent with a +20% alert bonus for a very long time (which may not be a bad thing).

Could there be multiple alerts going at the same time on multiple continents?