Continent Locking mini-update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MuldoonX9, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Rentago

this is great, this will force people to have to go fight on other continents instead of constantly being spread out with esamir being empty and amerish having maybe 10 guys and everyone being on indar forever.
    • Up x 3
  2. Morchai

If you say so. But assuming that they don't simply log off when Indar is unavailable, who are they going to fight for? I will certainly never be caught playing on the losing side of an off-Indar battle while Indar is locked. Doing so would delay Indar's unlocking. Makes more sense to pile on to the dominant faction and help them get Indar's lockdown over with.
  3. Scr1nRusher

ah ok.

want to know what would be fun for people vehicle wise?

Free Flashes.
    • Up x 1
  4. Rentago

no no no, i mean that, once indar is locked, people will move onto esamir or amerish, bringing huge battles to those continents that seem to rarely have them because they aren't the default continent. I don't mean people will attempt to lock all three continents at once, but considering that, it only takes a hand full of people to capture a whole continent that isn't being actively defended, I wonder what would happen.
  5. Ronin Oni

Please make it 2 with Hossin launch :D :D

No server has enough pop to fill 2 continents even during prime time

even still, I will gloriously await Indar locks.

Hopefully the act of it just being locked shows some people the light of the other continents >.< though I have a feeling most people like Indar is because of tank spam
    • Up x 2
  6. Jeslis

I dislike this from the standpoint of.. only 1 continent can be locked at a time then.. which helps nothing.
  7. MuldoonX9 Developer

1 is an arbitrary number I picked. It'll be configurable by design.
    • Up x 1
  8. PhantomOfKrankor

Indar will be by far the hardest continent to lock. Also, I'd wager that if it does get locked, most people would be happy to throw another continent under the bus and let someone lock it to unlock Indar.
    • Up x 4
  9. HadesR

If they lock to many though the period for which they are locked for would have to be so small as to not to be worth it ..

The main concern they have and the main goal there is = People need to be able to log on and play ..

As the number of Continent / battle islands grow I'm sure the number locked will also .. but it's always bad business to lock players out your game.
  10. Morchai

As far as I'm concerned, the maximum acceptable number of continents to have locked at once is the number of vehicle friendly continents minus one. I don't think Hossin is going to be vehicle friendly, and Esimir certainly isn't.
  11. Scr1nRusher

When can we expect Warpgate captures & sieges?
    • Up x 4
  12. Astriania

I'm not sure why people can't play with only 1 continent unlocked? It would require unlock criteria to be different though and that can't happen until we get continental lattice.

There's some promising stuff happening lately, it looks like you got the wheels back on and real development is happening. That's good.
  13. CaptainTenneal

Indeed, is warpgate battles/capture still being considered?
    • Up x 2
  14. Wecomeinpeace

That actually sounds like it has been thought through. I mean ok, it still works with thresholds and also alerts, so it could be more "natural" in my demanding opinion, but it does sound like a system worth trying. And i will accept that it's maybe a necessary compromise to please those too sissy for a true last stand. So yeah, you're seeing me actually interested here.

One question though: What kind of alert will start once an empire reaches the threshold? I hope it's a special alert tailored to the situation? And i even more hope it's not a random one from the pool of existing alerts?
  15. Kociboss

How will you capture Indar though?

Barely possible.
  16. Rhumald

I understand that we`ve been looking for continent locks for quite some time now, but given the current planed layout:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/june-continent-locking.82996/

Where each faction appears to have a home continent, with the 1 extra continent currently planned to fight over (Hossin, Woooooooooo) how does this play into the game mechanics of the home continents? can only the home faction lock out their home continent? and if so, will we hold off on the Hossin lockout until there are more continents available to fight over?

Would it even be necessary to introduce a timer for a continent lock given that format? seeing as how a faction must have access to the connecting warpgate to even initiate an assault?
  17. Whatupwidat

One thing I wanna know is if home continents are permanent, or will they rotate from time to time?

Also - what's the current look on a "win-state", ie, when does the whole thing get reset because one faction or another "won" - or is it just perpetual?

(also - the fact that this might actually happen some times soon has made me squee like the big gay man I am lol)
  18. MuldoonX9 Developer

It will trigger a special Continent Locking alert. The faction with the most territory wins when they reach a certain percentage, and the continent will lock. The other two factions get an alert to hold back the dominating faction,
    • Up x 2
  19. Mezinov

I don't think so. Right now Indar is a self sustaining fusion reaction. The fight is literally on Indar because the fight is literally on Indar; and it all goes back to launch when Indar was the default continent it started you on.

Where am I?
    Indar.
    Where is the fight?
    Indar.
    Why is the fight on Indar?
    Because it is where everyone is.

With continent locking, if Indar does get locked then the fighting won't be on Indar for (hopefully) an appreciable time. I don't know how the Designers are gonna fajigger it without continental lettuce, but hopefully once a continent is locked it isn't just on a timer. Hopefully something will have to be accomplished to take it back.

Once continental lettuce is in however, it should flow much as it did in Planetside 1. Day to day or even week to week there will be a hotly contested continent that will either end up captured, pushing the fight elsewhere, or will result in one of the factions trying to push a different route to get out of their home warpgate (sanctuary in PS1).

Far in our future when we have all 10 of the original continents back and some number of battle islands, it will really show what Planetside is capable of on the macro level.
  20. PhantomOfKrankor

21. Zapon

Thank you very much for the updates Muldoon :D

:thinks about the defensive towers outside Warpgates:

I really hope the capturable warpgates are coming with this- I have long wondered when we'd get to once again use /fight while defending or attacking the towers outside Warpgates to fend off real enemy forces

(Ever since the warpgate field boundary was extended a little past the actual forcefields covering them, there have been less fights up against warpgates it seem)