[Guide] Are Rocket Launchers OP?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, May 26, 2014.

1. Pikachu

How the butt would it be a buff to MAX and vehicles? You can't possibly think they would reduce damage of rockets against all targets.
    • Up x 1
  2. Haquim

Actually, since we were about equal numbers we could have broken through I think - were it not for the fact that RLs deal area of effect damage on top of a direct hit OHK and would have annhihilated the charge with little more than a salvo or two. It was pretty late at night, so at most we were about 25 guys on each side (assuming the NC, who were defending, had some reserves I couldn't see, which is usually the case).
    If we were more people we could have tried assaulting two entrances at once, but we didn't have the manpower - and the NC could have just done the same thing at the other entrance too :(.

The damage numbers shown in game are always the damage it deals to infantery AFAIK. So yes, thats exactly what I meant - somebody having the bright idea of reducing the damage by 20% (So flak 5 makes it survivable) or 60% (so its not OHK even without flak) but forgetting to adjust the resistance values of MAX and vehicles.
  3. Aegie

First, I'm not necessarily saying I agree or disagree with either position.

Second, no I do not have that data handy though I am sure that it is available if you look for it.

Finally, I believe this issue lies more along the lines of "is this the kind of gameplay we want to promote" rather than "OMG RLs make up 75% of all infantry kills!".

I'm not sure if you remember but under barrel grenade launchers were changed many times- for instance with the introduction of a distance to arm mechanism that prevented them from doing any real damage until the projectile had passed a certain distance. I doubt this was done because UBGLs were deemed to be responsible for a disproportionate number of kills so much as there were lots of people who thought it was lame.

As someone else pointed out, UBGLs share much in common with RLs and used to share a lot more before they were nerfed so that you could not OHK the same or use them point blank.

I'm not advocating any of these changes per se, though I do not use the RL primary style myself.
  4. Aegie

hilarious.

I take it you did not get far enough for the "pretty much" qualifier and the fact I said "stopped taking it seriously" and not "stopped listening". Let alone that it is not an opposing idea at all, in large part because no one is arguing the RL primary is unbalanced because factions have different launchers (which, BTW, they do in part given the ESRLs but still beside the point). Whatever clever.
  5. Tito

hahahahahaah you suck dude

dont blame SOE why soo staff nerfed blame your self why becouse you still suck the play the game
  6. NyaR

Doesn't matter what you think, that's not what happens. Splash damage isn't enough to kill unless person is low on health.

0:40 seconds in, closest decimator (more dmg), no kill. Lets base discussion on "facts", not on "what you think".

7. NyaR

Rockets make up 75% of infantry kills? What the hell are you talking about? More like 1%, your statistics are hysterical.
  8. LordDethir

I would die for a 750 damage 4000 mps rocket launcher with a 3 second reload.

I CAN HIT THINGS NOW :D.
  9. MrJengles

Not what Aegie said at all. The very point was that that's how others misinterpret the issue, rephrase it and then spend their time rebutting the argument they've substituted.

A bit ironic. Was that an accidental misunderstanding?

Also, this was exactly the same thing with the faction imbalance comments in that video. I don't think anyone suggested faction imbalance was a problem. It was extraneous.
  10. Aegie

You honestly could not tell that was a rhetorical statement? The quotes and context not enough of a giveaway?
    Indeed- it makes me wonder whether intentional or not...where's that Fry meme? I am definitely not sure if serious.

I guess it happens though, I know I have responded to posts before and completely misunderstood what was being said.
  11. NyaR

My bad, I read it and made a wrong assumption that you are hysterically opposed to rocket launchers to the point of making up statistics. At that point my mind blacked out the rest.
  12. Aegie

No worries, it happens and I've done that before. I figured it was something like, hence my confusion- I should try to be a bit clearer when entering into relatively heated discussions.

In general, on the RL primary issue, I think I can see both sides of the argument and I'm not really beholden to one or the other. Personally, I do not use the tactic and it is not often used against me. That being said, it does seem like point blank the user does not take much damage but I could be mistaken, as I said I rarely use this tactic.

I only started commenting in this thread because one of the central arguments of the video is that RLs are balanced because each faction has equivalents- that argument is neither entirely true (ex. ESRLs) nor very valuable considering that the balance issue most people discuss is not related to faction balance whatsoever.
  13. Maljas23

Fair enough. Just remember that UBGLs had a lot more than just OSKs going for it.
  14. m44v

heh, what about statistics about the rocket launchers themselves? do they get more vehicles kills than infantry kills? I doubt it.
  15. NyaR

How many vehicles are there compared to the number of infantry there are? How many successful rocket hits does it take to kill a vehicle?

Now, I'm pulling this number out of my ***, but lets say there's one vehicle for every 50 infantry, and that vehicle takes multiple shots of sustained fire and repair denial to destroy.

With all that considered, what is the point you are trying to make in your post?
  16. m44v

uhm, rocket hits are irrelevant, I'm not trying to figure their accuracy, only if rocket launchers are more used against infantry than against vehicles, kill counts may be enough for give an idea of that. Like a tank gun with a lot more infantry kills than vehicle kills indicates that's mostly used for farm.

I would check the DA stats site but since they sort stuff by infantry kills I already know that their stats will be skewed and not really useful.
  17. Mustarde

Stats.dasanfall has a vehicle kill ratio for rocket launchers. They do track the difference. But I actually agree with Hej, it doesn't mean a whole lot since there are a lot less vehicles to kill than infantry. But if you were wondering, most decimator users (I was looking at those who have auraxium) have about a 30% vehicle kill rate. Meaning the other 70% are infantry kills. It goes up to 60% at the most, and down to 5% for some hardcore rocket primary players who mostly farm softies.

I am at 7% :)
  18. McToast

Moin

The rocket launcher is an anti-infantry weapon. It should be no surprise that it scores a lot of infantry kills.

Is the RL overpowered? I don't know, but I don't die very often against it. Playing rocket primary means that you're down to your sidearm if you miss, because you won't get your LMG out in time if your opponent is decently skilled.
    The OHK feature of the RL is especially useful in situations where a BASR is also useful; When the long TTK on all other weapons prevents you from killing your opponent when you can only peak a corner/ridge/spawnshield.
    Whether OP or not, it just doesn't seem like a big enough issue to waste precious devtime on for me.
    • Up x 1
  19. longmachao

Also, not to mention AURAXIUM. Like you've said, there are more infantry than vehicles so anyone looking to auraxium RL would obviously be hunting heads, not vehicles.
  20. NyaR

Furthermore, there's no vehicles inside a biolab. It is completely incomparable.