Biolabs are only fun for defenders.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Coldmeister, May 26, 2014.

1. Coldmeister

Some people are bound to disagree with me, but personally I hate biolabs nowadays.

They have become easily the worst choke points in the game when two zergs are fighting eachother and it is counter productive because it's literally only fun for those defending the base.

Biolabs suck for attackers, period. Nobody really wants to do it because it's a slaughter/lagfest and so people just don't. They leave causing the problem to get even worse.

These bases are now worse choke points than Tech plants ever were back in the day, the only difference being Tech plants were at least fun.

Biolabs need more adjustments before they can be considered fun again in my opinion. They need to add at least two more doors on the dome in my opinion. They do not necessarily need airpads, but at least a way for people to run around the dome and get in from another door that might be less guarded. As it stands right now, the doors are too small to effectively use vehicles to kill resistance inside, and just large enough for any defenders inside to easily shoot people trying to rush in. It's way too easy for people to just get MAX units and light assault and camp those doors. It's not fun.

If you agree with me please say so, if you disagree feel free to post as well, but please explain why you disagree in a productive way instead of just flaming me on this because I really feel that biolabs need to be looked at again.

I truly believe a couple more doors on the outside of the dome would fix it, or maybe some tunnels/elevators to get inside from another location rather than spawn rooms which get camped, and the two airpad doors which also get camped.

There needs to be more ways inside so it's not SO easy for defenders to camp and these bases to literally halt entire zergs (Because vehicles are pretty useless there) and people don't want to move in because they know it's easier to just go somewhere else to get kills rather than die over and over again being camped at the current doors.
    • Up x 5
  2. Prudentia

Wrong. Biolabs are fun when fighting over the outposts. It would be even more fun if Outposts didn't have a spawnroom themselves, but would only give access to the Jumppad/Teleporter and both the Attackers and defenders needed to get there to fight over them. (same goes for all major facilities)

Edit: Biolab outposts are also the only bases in the game who give the remote feel of having achieved something. gaining access to the Teleporters. everything else is just changing the color of a base or in case of Major Facility boni not noticable enoug. eg: who cares about less overheat for Turrets? and who cares about MBT access when most players are Infantry and you can pull a Lightning from everywhere?
    • Up x 9
  3. PraiseTheSpandex

They have four ways in; two of those can be bombarded by Galaxy or Lib overwatch. The other two can be contained but take a lot of people to cover all the angles.

If people stopped rushing the points you can also often be camping and killing the SCU before the enemy responds in force. Just don't start the timer until you get the genny hot.
    • Up x 1
  4. Coldmeister

To Prudentia,

I'm not talking about the outposts which are now considered separate facilities. They may give you a spawn point, but it's still a god awful spawn room with shields that people just sit inside and camp on the outside. I'm talking about the Biolab itself. Without those outposts it literally has two doors in and that's it. That's the problem I see and am trying to address.
  5. Coldmeister

To praise the spandex,

Please enlighten me how you can start the SCU countdown without the gen being destroyed first?
  6. LibertyRevolution

Is it fun to camp a teleporter room, being lucky to kill the poor random noob that is dumb enough to leave it? I vote no..
    Is it fun to camp inside a teleport room, shooting at the max that is camping the door so his engineer can get repair XP? I vote no..

The only thing fun to do at a biolab is to shoot the guys coming up the lifts onto the landing pads, it is like shooting skeet.
    If they are using those lifts then you know they are morons and its going to be an awesome farm until someone blows that sunderer.

Yes, biolabs are on my list of defend only bases...
    • Up x 3
  7. Simferion

I'll explain:
    The 1st thing most of players do when in a biolab is flipping the points and this is like honey for the bees.
    All the enemy faction notices this and "it's farm-o-lab" time starts.

When attacking a biolab, if no or poor defense is present, the 1st thing to do is overloading the SCU gen and ignoring the points at all.
    So when the SCU is down you can flip the points with relative impunity.
  8. Llamar

Define fun...
    • Up x 1
  9. Mastachief

Biolabs are pretty much the only base that rewards ownership with a meaningful defensive advantage. They give a huge sense of achievement when you do take one but it takes outfit co-operation to take them from a defensive force until you pass the 65% over pop numbers.

I cannot tell you how many time we have taken a foothold in a biolab only to watch 40+ NC content to just sit in the teleporters incase they die and we eventually wipe 5 /10 /15 minutes later because the lack of support. Or we have suppressed the spawns and have the SCU ticking only to lose that suppression because the other outfit in the biolab are sat with their thumbs up their.... in a point that isn't contested.

IMO the problem with biolabs is the ability for people to shoot out of the shields. Also maybe make them one way (force people out).

They already made them a bit of a joke with the 3minute timer anything else to cheapen it will make them pointless.

Kids today don't appreciate challenges. Take the spawns... take the biolab... simples.
    • Up x 3
  10. Midnightmare

I think since they broke MAX crashing its genrally true.

seeing 30 MAXes dieing from one C4 charge :p
    there arent really any valid way of taking a Biolab anymore.

As mentioned above best option is getting there before anyone shows up.
    in the zerg vs zerg attack/defence........just dont :p "wait 20 mins everyone left go take it alone" :p
  11. XXBLACKATTACKXX

You don't have to just spam chokepoints. Grab a LA and jetpack around, flank and get kills. It is one of my favorite things to do. And if you drop C4 by the enemy, so many kills. Jetpack up to the main spire above the SCU and you get an awesome vantage point where you can kill enemies from above and be (sorta) safe from enemy fire.

You do not have to follow a linear play style, get creative and try something new and have fun. I love boilabs
    • Up x 2
  12. AuntLou42

I love both attacking and defending bio labs! My suggestion would be to get good.
    • Up x 4
  13. Taemien

Step 1: Tell Squad/Platoon to not attack points
    Step 2: Take down SCU Gen
    Step 3: Take down SCU
    Step 4: Grab Points
    Step 5: Get exp for a capture

See when you attack a point and flip it. It sets up the biolab (or any base) as a possible spawn point for anyone redeploying. By taking out the SCU first, it removes the ability to redeploy there. Meaning the enemy now has to GAL drop in or redeploy hop to an adjacent base to attack. Some people call this an exploit, but it is not.

Try it next time. Attack a base you know will be flooded by redeploys, set up mines from their spawn all the way to the point. Start capping the point, and don't camp on the spawn, watch it, but don't camp it. Watch a few spawn in there, then run into utter chaos.

A little warning. If you've been fighting the enemy to the biolab, the forces you pushed back CAN spawn there. But just as long as you don't go for the points, no new combatants can spawn there without using a Galaxy or redeploy hop.

I do believe there is a counter to this. But I'm not going to disclose that information. :p
  14. Coldmeister

It's funny how the only people commenting that they love biolabs are Vanu. With the VS weapons this is not surprising considering it's been this way for a while now, taking a biolab from VS is the absolute worst.
  15. Coldmeister

To all those saying get there before people show up. It's kinda hard when the lattice forces you into one during an alert. There's no getting there early when the zerg of 48+ knows you HAVE to go there next. That's the problem. In small fights it's fine, but in big zergs it's really not OK. That's the problem I'm trying to point out.
    • Up x 2
  16. BillHaverchuck

Get 2-3 biolab outposts attack from 2-3 teleporters and 2 entrances. The problem with biolabs is that they need large scale coordination. Something Zergs lack.
  17. sindz

And no skill easy mode kid playstyle scat max's.

PS: im not saying NC are to blame, its their only option but its enraging as ****.
  18. Axehilt

Whether you're good or not has no bearing on the fact that Bio-labs are massively defender-biased which cause predictably bland fights.

Good PVP is about skillful competition. Most bases are won by the skilled team when pop is even and that's great. Bio Labs aren't.
    • Up x 2
  19. AssaultPig

biolabs would be fine if there were some way for the defenders to push back out through the teleporters; right now the only way for them to push back against the attackers is the landing pads or the vehicle garage, both of which are usually camped by enemy air/armor.
  20. Taemien

Biolabs can be won by skilled attackers. They can literally take it with very little if any opposition if they do it right. Mess up and you fight the entire faction. Read my post above to see.

The purpose of biolabs are a stopping point along their lattice line. If you want to break through them, you need to do so tactically. Do the steps I listed and its easy.