[Guide] Is Planetside 2 a competitive game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, May 24, 2014.

1. NyaR

Join Hej as he uncovers the secrets of Planetside in this episode of Inside Auraxis: Is Planetside 2 a competitive game?
    • Up x 4
  2. McToast

No.
    • Up x 12
  3. z1967

TL;DW

Nope
    • Up x 2
  4. Strottinglemon

On normal servers, no. In organized matches hell yes. Server smash is a great example of this. I was against Planetside in esports until I watched that.
    • Up x 4
  5. fudili

PAL official matches are on jeager not on test.
    • Up x 2
  6. LT_Latency

Nope, all the important units are boring to use and don't take that much skill.

Tanks, Maxxes. Competieve players don't want to watch that.

They want high skill cap classes to be the start of the game.
    • Up x 1
  7. Fenrisk

It would be if all the people we face were below 50 ping instead of a bunch of laggers with 56k modems and 350 ping.

Server side hit detection would go a long way to making infantry combat competitive.
  8. Iridar51

Good analysis, Hej. You also added to my perspective on the planetside, and I thank you for that.
  9. jiggu

And it would also make the game unplayable and ugly as hell.
    • Up x 3
  10. Klypto

This.

And they are given 5 million certs to spend on each of their characters.
  11. Fenrisk

Well normal PC FPS servers can handle 48 vs 48 TMD's with server side hit detection. The only reason they don't tend to have bigger numbers is the maps for them games tend to be designed for less players.

Honestly don't see why PS2 can't have servers designed to handle server side hit detection here. PS2 Combat is already ugly as hell with people dying behind cover or inside buildings to magical client side bullets. It's funny playing a low ping medic and seeing team mates dying behind cover even though there's no bullets hitting them on my screen or theirs lol.
  12. NyaR

Yes, I missed that. However, an issue persists: for every one match there are at least 10 scrims that take place on a public server.
  13. xThundergodx

Of course the game isnt competitive, are you drunk by any chance? A game where there are dozens of crunchs that can be pulled by anyone at any given time could never hope to be competitive.

You can be the best player in the world if you turn a corner and meet a MaX unit face to face your dead regardless if the player using the suit has half your skills.Also the fact you cant control "matches" makes it impossible to raise the skill lvl, by that i mean any number of players, lonewolf or not can take part in a defense or attack turning most fights in "whoever has most numbers". I could go on but i hope you get it.
  14. NyaR

Well you pretty much paraphrased what I said. So, I have to ask, are you drunk?
  15. The Rogue Wolf

Insofar that it's not a sterile environment that rewards twitch reflex over all else, no, it isn't "competitive".

Don't get me wrong, if the MLG set wants to be able to set up scrims, I don't object to the infrastructre being put in place. But don't try to rebuild the entire game around them. If I wanted to play Counter-Stike, I'd go play Counter-Strike, not demand that Planetside 2 be remade into Counter-Strike 2884.
    • Up x 3
  16. Paragon Exile

The base game is pretty intense, and demands some pretty deep involvement from players to understand it. But the game on the whole is 'casual' when compared to Halo or Counterstrike. Server Smash is pretty cut-throat though.
  17. Liberty

This video is filled with bad information sadly. Planetside on live server play isn't a competitive game because it is a three faction battle. The same can be said for any random pub server on any other shooter or any open zone pvp in any other MMO.

The competitive aspect of a game occurs in a controlled environment, separate from regular live play. (In this case, Jaeger server).

I have no idea why this guy decided to go after PAL and all its limitations because PAL was pitched as an alternate to OTHER competitive leagues. (Community Clash, Sever Smash, etc). PAL is for people who love infantry play, specifically the gunplay involved with planetside 2. It is a test of which team of 12 has the best aim, best reaction times, and best squad movement to successfully capture a base.

If the author would have done a little research he could have seen that the first season of community clash just wrapped up where it is an anything goes 24 v 24 that focuses around a three base lane with territory capture being the way points are earned. Sever smash is a much larger (192 v 192 or something like that) battle for a continent where again, everything and anything goes.

The talk about how player skill matters so little and most times things end up with just a lot of kill trading only further hurts his credibility when it comes to speaking about competitive gaming when it comes to planetside. While the skill gap and the connection performance gap can certainly overlap, it is not to the extent that you can simply dismiss the gunplay / squad play as a whole.

TL:DR Live play is not competitive, the same way some pub server in TF2 or CoD is not competitive. Which I would hope would be blatantly obvious to anyone.
    • Up x 4
  18. Sagabyte

Is Planetside 2 a competitive game?
    • Up x 1
  19. Paragon Exile

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  20. Axehilt

Seems like a misunderstanding of competition vs. perfect competition.

Unless you believe bases are trading hands peacefully (without competition), PS2 is obviously a competitive game.

Does PS2 have many things which undermine PVP quality? Absolutely, and vertical progression is the biggest one. But it's still PVP.

Just because it's not perfect (100%-skill-based) competition doesn't mean it's not competition.