Drifters should lock out C4 just like Stalker Cloak locks out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, May 23, 2014.

1. Klypto

I'm just going to say it since it's my opinion and I'm frustrated with it.

There is nothing this game needs less than someone bailing out of their throwaway mossy or liberator 600 meters above a tank or jumping off a cliff 100 meters away and then drifting about for the next minute or two to C4 that tank.

At the EXTREME least, you should only be able to carry 1 brick of C4 with Drifters to C4 Maxes. There is no reason for someone to have to pull a Drifter LA to kill a tank. They have wide enough array of tools at their disposal allowing them to destroy a tank at minimal risk, having an option that allows almost absolute zero risk in that way is somewhat... stupid.

My other hope is that the changes to the resource system makes such a tactic quite literally impossible to perform due to the cost.

The only way I would be ok with such a mechanic is if all tanks were given a secondary weapon called a "Coaxial Machine Gun" which is relatives new technology as of the last century to very quickly mow down any infantry trying to suicide (lol, I forgot the tank is always the one backing up) charging a tank or if the cost of tanks are cut in half.
    • Up x 8
  2. Paragon Exile

I'm not sure; to do that, they need to spend resources (for the aircraft and for the C4) and have some pretty good depth perception. Don't you have a gunner for this very reason?

Also, I'm not sure I'd like MBT's to have a coaxial gun, as that would make them too powerful with a single occupant. A relatively weak coaxial for the Lightning would be cool though :3
    • Up x 2
  3. Klypto

Neither the gunner or the driver will be able to shoot them yet alone know they even exist.

I can't be bother with running in fear every time an enemy aircraft is destroyed hundreds of meters above me within a couple hundred meters of me because there might be a drifter jet LA that bailed out.
    • Up x 1
  4. Prudentia

OMG I GOT KILLED IN MY VEHICLE NERF IT AND REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME SUCH A THING SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Why is it always "REMOVE" or a straight Reduction in Power? why is no one, not for a single time trying to change something by thinking about it?

How about this: CoF for C4!
    Same Damage
    Stupid tankera still die
    you can still use C4 perfectly fine as the Close Range High Risk High Reward weapon it was intended to be
    can't hover a mere 50m over a tank anymore, well within renderrange of anything.

Problem solved, no more Light Assaults hovering high up anymore, only unaware tankers die to drifter Light Assaults.
    • Up x 17
  5. Hatesphere

try baking up next time you see an aircraft go into a free fall. i mean its not like the just spent a whole load of resources just to kill a tanker not paying attention.
    • Up x 4
  6. Paragon Exile

...Scout radar?

If you can't be bothered to do something, should we care if you're penalized for that?
    • Up x 13
  7. Klypto

It would have to inherit momentum with a CoF, otherwise it's not much of a difference.
  8. Klypto

The range I am talking about is far greater than Scout Radar.

Well, clearly infantry can't be bothered to run in fear from a tank every time the see one. So why Should I care if you don't want tanks to have coaxial machine guns? I can understand if it's a limited bother, but what you are asking for is rather silly.
  9. Prudentia

... what? The Duster doesn't inerhit momentum and did you ever try to hit tanks with it?
  10. Klypto

C4 is dropped, not shot. Dropping it one meter to the left or right will have minimal impact.
  11. Prudentia

seriously: where is the difference?
    If you shot a explosivve shell at Light speed with a 2° CoF or an explosive Package at 1m/s in a 2° CoF, they are still both equally inaccurate
    • Up x 2
  12. Paragon Exile

Hundreds of metres? You know they still need to get close to you right?

If you face down a tank on foot, you're doomed, it's not even a contest and it's not up for debate. Fighting a tank with HE or HEAT in the open is a death sentence 100% of the time unless you outnumber them and surround them, which a good tanker such as yourself should know.
    • Up x 11
  13. Frostiken

C4 just needs a nerf. C4 needs a larger blast radius, but it needs to do quite a bit less damage. One brick of C4 should be enough to just OHK all infantry (excepting heavies with shield on) within ~2 meters and then falloff from there. It should be enough to severely damage a MAX. Two bricks should easily kill a MAX and be dangerous to light vehicles. Three bricks should be enough to set a Lightning on fire, four bricks set an MBT on fire, five bricks set a Sunderer on fire, six bricks set a Sunderer with Blockade Armor on fire.

Add another rank of C4 that gives you a third brick. And get rid of the really obnoxious 'laggy' nature of it.

This isn't Battlefield, one ******* shouldn't be able to blow up every damn thing in the game by himself, especially a Sunderer. If you want to blow up a Sunderer, it should take some actual effort, or in this case, two people working in concert and the considerable amount of time it takes to drop all that C4.

C4 itself just constantly feels wrong. It does obscenely ridiculous amounts of damage, but it has almost no blast radius. And it has a HUGE explosion that completely betrays how tiny the explosion actually is. It needs to work the exact opposite of how it does now. We already have enough anti-vehicle garbage. Why do Medics need C4?
    • Up x 1
  14. Prudentia

Oh yes, low population fights will be so much fun /s
    C4 is as strong as it is because in a high pop fight there are enough people who can cover you and in a low pop fight you a low enough number of threats that you can see someone who wants to C4 you.
  15. Klypto

We could also go with C4 doing directional damage.

Splash does little to no damage to armor, direct contact with the top will be exactly just enough to destroy a tank. To the front and sides is not enough to kill it. Rear does the same damage as it does now.
    • Up x 4
  16. Frostiken

The point of C4 is to lay traps, not ***** the enemy.

lol, I can't believe that word is censored.

Right now it sucks for traps because if you're more than three feet away it does almost nothing. Because it does such insane point-blank damage, however, its primary use is throwing free Light Assault bodies at tanks and hoping for a lucky kill.
  17. Prudentia

Thats the point of mines...
    of course if your proposed damage nerf would go live C4 would be used to lay Infantry traps and poeple would use Safelanding and ESF and 2 tankmines to land behind a tank to blow it up. but then tankers would complain again that tankmines are being used as C4...
    • Up x 1
  18. EliteEskimo

Proximity Radar only goes out to 50 meters, you can easily get C4'd since it doesn't reach that high up. I almost always have proximity radar equipped to deal with LA, but it's not a straight up counter like composite or Blockade armor.

People saying they spent air resources to take out a tank still have to keep in mind they probably wouldn't have used those air resources anyways so it's not really a sacrifice at all.

Anyhow Klypto isn't going to have a good time arguing with nerfing C4 or how you can carry it. I've tried that in several ways with logical arguements the the most I ever got out of it was a *curls fingers* "bug" on the test server where 2 C4 would take a MBT down to the red. That of course was meant with a massive amount of tears, and it was then never implemented. I've come to terms with the fact that asking for a nerf to Infantryside 2 and it probably isn't going to happen, and if it does happen it will happen long after you started asking. Like the AV turret ruining tank battles for almost a year before it got balanced, and it continues to ruin battles when it doesn't render. What I really want is extended proximity radar to that of scout radar so you can actually counter LA that come at you from the air, or composite armor that offers resistance against C4 and other explosive projectiles. 50 meters is too short.

I personally find it pants on head ******** that if I was in a fight with Klypto's super certed 2/2 AP Vanguard, and a random BR 20 LA was flying in my direction I would actually be more concerned with the LA player even though Klypto is one of the best Vanguard tankers in the game.

I also have never the resource cost of C4 should let it to do 75% of a MBT's health per brick considering a MBT costs 450 resources and is on a cool down, while it only costs 200 resources worth of C4 to kill the MBT, you can actively stockpile 40 C4, you don't actually lose the C4 until after you throw it, and LA's don't have a cool down.
    • Up x 3
  19. Frostiken

Ah yes, a device you can only drop on the ground that requires someone to step basically right on it, and only occasionally does enough damage to kill ONE person is totally the same thing as a manually-triggered heavy blast weapon you can put on walls and ceilings.

I could just as easily say that the point of anti-vehicle grenades is to blow up vehicles, so that's why C4 should be nerfed anyway.
  20. Prudentia

why? tell me how i as a Player who mains Light Assault is supposed to lay traps against Vehicles that wouldn't work better with Tankmines?
    • Up x 1