Why should i use the Lasher? I ask 100 people!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NameForForum, May 11, 2014.

1. Goden

It's not a suppression weapon because it's splash damage is so bad.

Even while taking splash from behind cover your foes can just leave cover and shoot you because they are taking so little damage from it. It's TTK from splash damage is several seconds - and this is in a game where the average weapon TTK is 0.5seconds.

Meanwhile the MCG and Jackhammer have been buffed enough that they are scary weapons in the field. The Lasher, as it has been since beta, is a running joke.
    • Up x 1
  2. RoyAwesome

Do you have 15 friends all carrying lashers? If so, use it. If not, use another gun.

In large groups, everything dies to the lasher. If you are by yourself, it's useless.
    • Up x 1
  3. NameForForum

Yes i tested it now ingame. Damn VR-Training hall irritated me.
    Splash damage is in the direct hit. Sorry to NoctD and GhostAvatar.

Ok that means that the Lasher has good damage with 230 damage points and this is a lot.
    I need 5 shoots to kill a Light Armor guy(with many nanit.certs) with the Lasher and 7 with a Orion.

Ok, the Lasher needed 2 shoots less thats good, but it cant unmake that it is still not effectiv because you need for that 5 shoots still almost the double time than the Orion with his 7 shoots to kill.
    Plus the speed of the bullet is slow with 5 times compared to Orion so that everyone with raising distance is proportional extrem harder to hit.
    I know that concerns every weapon, but is for the Lasher 3~5 times harder(depends to which weapon you compare, except snipers).

Thats the reason that i started always to aim for the head with the Lasher. Like Number 9.Improve your skill with that and then take another weapon. :)
  4. Bonom Denej

I love the Lasher. I haven't used it a lot since I don't play as often as I used to, but ever since I purchased it when it was 99SC, I don't regret my choice. It's a fun weapon.
    • Up x 1
  5. Alarox

I think the Lasher is one of the coolest, most unique, and most fun to use infantry weapons in the game.
  6. Thardus

"Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it's stupid."

Comparing the Lasher to the Orion is just pointless. They're completely different weapons, with completely different functions.
    • Up x 1
  7. Thardus

You stop and reload, that's what. A Lasher can keep up continuous fire for around 30 seconds. The Lasher is the one thing in this game that can basically close a door.
  8. Adeon

The only sci-fi Vanu weapon. "Effective" range ~10m with laser sight. All players with normal weapons will kill you. This not funny. Good choice if you want die silly. Can be used only in buildings with in large fights. Player with LMG > than player with Lasher in most situations.

You forgot word "inefficient". Inefficient = useless...
    • Up x 1
  9. Nody

Take your 15 people and have a 14 run grenade launcher, 1 engineer for ammo. Hey presto same effect and you can actually kill things. Or 5 mana turrets, or HAs with rocket launchers or anything else.

The problem with the Lasher is you're trying to make it work, in the rare blue moon scenario it's useful and the moment you leave that perfect choke point you're better off with any other weapon again. So why bother with it in the first place when all the other alternatives (i.e. Engy turrets, rockets, underbelly grenade launchers etc.) will get the same job done and actually leave you with a weapon you can use once you leave the choke point?
    • Up x 2
  10. Shockwave44

He's showing that since you can only carry one primary gun at a time, why would anyone in their right mind choose the lasher after looking at those stats.
    • Up x 1
  11. Chris Bingley

Everytime I rave in /yell about how awesome my Saw/MCG is, some vanu will reply with comments about how awesome their Lasher is. Additionally, I die to it just as often as I died to Orions/Flares/Ursas etc.
  12. Shockwave44

Threads over guys. Pack it up. Some people in chat said how great the lasher is so we have all the information we need...
  13. Maelthra

If you're trying to kill people the old-fashioned way with the Lasher, you're doing it wrong. You use the Lasher to kill people by trashing their FPS with continuous fire. Let's see those NC or TR meatbags kill anything with 5 FPS!
  14. RoyAwesome

The problem with the grenade launcher scenario is you have a very short range with it compared to a lasher. 2 squads of lashers have stopped up a foot zerg of 2 platoons of TR between Sungrey West Gate and NC Arsenal. When they pulled sunderers we lanced them down as soon as they rendered.

A well coordinated lasher wall is very difficult to get through. You don't see that with rockets or manas.
  15. Nody

A coordinated anything is very difficult to get through. You don't think a TR platoon of your level of coordination would have stopped them perfectly fine using LMGs, AV Maxes etc. instead? I.e. your ability to stop a zerg was not because of the Lasher but because of your coordination and you could have replaced the Lasher with out any real effect.
  16. NDroid

The problem with the Lasher is that it has too small of a niche. I think it could use a secondary firing mode that gives it some additional functionality or makes it more viable as a direct hit weapon. This way it becomes more versatile without sacrificing its current role.
    • Up x 1
  17. Bankrotas

Please don't use the lasher. I hate fighting against those things in organized groups more than most other weapons. Pretty please!
  18. Larolyn

Lasher absolutely destroys MAXs. Doesn't matter if they have flak or kinetic. My weapon of choice for bio labs if I played VS would be a Lasher. Got absolutely wrecked by a lasher a few days back and I keep my distance now. Infact, all heavy weapons are pretty damn good against MAXs.
  19. RomulusX

I only use the lasher because it reminds me of the dinosaur from Jurassic Park
  20. MrK

First specifically adressing this :
    Let's take out MAXes out of the equation if possible, they are not "infantry", cost ressources, and are prone to the same issues than the other you list to a lesser extent.

So...
    Grenades ... Woopdidoo, you suppress a cover with 3 grenades, then.... you're naked. The guys take 3 steps back and then are back in
    Grenade Launcher : One every reload
    Rocket Launchers : One every 5 secs.
    1 splash every 3 to 5 seconds, I don't call that supressing.

Only 2 lashers are enough to have a constant, constant flow of damage on concealed or incoming ennemies.
    This looks like nothing, but 0.5s of this 2 lashers splash spam makes your comet guys one shotting all guys behind instead of 2shots+reload, for example. And that's only 2 lashers. And the backpedaling people will not just be back full health 3 seconds after you start it, they are under a constant splash damage.

I'm super happy VS barely ever use Lasher in a coordinated (again, you don't need mass number of lashers, that's what make them strong, they are efficient with only 2 or 3 per platoon), most of the time when I've seen it done (like ISK on Miller loving them), it's been a pain to fight against. Please, VS, keep thinking this gun is garbage.... Do like you do/did with Lancer.

Because they have their platoon mates with Orion at their side?