Why should i use the Lasher? I ask 100 people!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NameForForum, May 11, 2014.

1. NameForForum

I ask 100 people, the most people are veterans (people who played since PS1, like me :) ), casual player and hardcore player.

And here are the most 10 answers:
    10.What is a Lasher?
    9.Improve your skill with that and then take another weapon.
    8.PS2 said to melting infantary, lol.
    7.Is anybody using that?
    6.No fun.
    5.Only for very unique and rare moments.
    4.When you want to see funny bullets/splash.
    3.When you dont want to make XP.
    2.Its useless.
    1.FORGET THE LASHER! (the most veterans said that!)

And in the last 10 hours of playing there was only one next to me who played the Lasher.
    Only for testing and after 5 Minute, he throws away for good. :(

I can very understand these answers. There's no really reason to play the Lasher.
    That weapon is definitely not OP.
    Even the standard weapon of VS the Orion is 3 times! better and can do the most better then the lasher.

See this:
    [IMG]
    The Orion bullets are 5 times faster and two bullets comes out in the same time of 1 Lasher bullet.

The meaning of this is: Before the Lasher bullet hits the target, are 2 Orion bullets allready there and the next Orion bullet(third one) is on his way!!!

And everyone fears the damage? lol.
    The Lasher has only 12 points more than the Orion.

1 Lasher bullet is 155 Points.
    But 2 Orion bullets which are allready in the target are= 2 x 143 = 286 damage points!!!
    Even before my one 155 damage point Lasher bullet hits.
    Really are you afraid of the Lasher?

One other thing is: Above the 10 answers tells about the splash damage.
    They are 75 points but only in the 1 metre range. Within 3 metres only 25 damage points.
    You can use it in some moments but for the whole game? Its a gimmick, not more.

Like number 5. saids, the Lasher is for very unique moments.
    But in the game are only a few of them to use the Lasher.(Like shooting at the Maxes, cornering...)
    All other weapons has more reasons to play and can easily replace the Lasher.

I would love to see any changes at the weapon even small changes, like raise bullet speed or whatever what makes the weapon fun, because it's not. :(

Before you answer please play the Lasher :)
  2. Tommyp2006

The lasher is not intented for direct engagements, it's not even comparable to the orion. It's a suppression weapon, and I think it's a lot of fun to use. I'm not saying it's especially effective, but I do have fun when I use it.
    • Up x 9
  3. LIKE A BOSS!

Only time I ever use the lasher is with my Oufit for light shows. Other than that I would rather have a jackhammer.
    • Up x 1
  4. Desann

Exactly.

The lasher isn't a PWN EVERYTHING IN SIGHT weapon, but it is FUN to use. When you get those around the corner kills, you say to yourself "YEAH LASHER!!!" then spam 1,000 more rounds for the next kill!
    • Up x 3
  5. Solidpew

"10.What is a Lasher?"

I hope these people weren't VS. :D
    • Up x 4
  6. LibertyRevolution

There is only 1 reason to use a lasher:

• Up x 10
  7. Wobulator

Of course the Lasher is horrible at dueling- a pistol can outdps it. It's amazing for teamwork and suppressive fire, what with that splash. Get one lasher, it's a deterrent. Get two, it's scary. Get three, and nobody's standing next to that door for a looooong time.
    • Up x 4
  8. NoctD

I was just watching this Youtube video just before I happened to stumble on this topic...

9. NameForForum

That was before they changed the damage points down.
    They changed the lasher since start of PS2 a few times.
  10. NoctD

Did they reduce the direct or splash damage? He's talking about it post PU11, which is already quite a ways into the game.
  11. ShureShot

And what do you get when those three shoot rockets at that door? Exactly the same, except that the rockets will kill faster and that those heavies can still carry an Orion/Jackhammer/...
  12. Llaf

How many times do people have to spell it out... I don't even have to read your post to know you're trying to come up with a reason why the lasher is bad based on the assumption that it's intended to perform well in 1v1 situations, the comparison to the Orion proved that.

The simple fact is that the Lasher IS good at what it's intended to do, which is not 1v1 or TTK. The Lasher is a suppression and displacement tool. One can be mediocre, especially when used improperly, yes. Several can be extremely effective. If you're looking for a competitive lone-wolf tool to farm kills, the Lasher is not your weapon, if you're looking to support your team by controlling battle-space and flow via suppression and displacement of enemies, you've got the right platform in the Lasher.
    • Up x 3
  13. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Lasher is the only weapon in the game capable of suppression.
    You use the lasher as a area of denial weapon forcing players our of corners and chokepoints.

that being said, I still find little use for it unless coordinated with multiple other lashers.
  14. GhostAvatar

All very nice, but splash damage also counts on direct hits. So you're 155 points vs the Orions 286 (2x143) is actually 230. Which isn't too bad considering you still get the splash if you miss and it hits another object nearby. All it really needs is a velocity buff and a CoF reduction.
    • Up x 1
  15. NameForForum

First i thought the same like you. :)
    But in the direct hit is not the splash damage included. Maybe it was changed in the updates?
    We have the training hall, and i tested the Lasher and the Orion to compare the damagepoints:
    [IMG]

I started to shoot 6 times with the Orion (left) and Lasher (right one) at the Heavy Armor guy.
    Like you see is from the guy on the left side a double left compared to the right guy.
    That means that the Lasher and Orion need 7 shoots to kill that guy, but the Lasher ca. the half of the shoot less.
    But if you say that the splash damage would be in every shoot then= 6x75 splash damage=450 splash damage / 143 (Orion damage points) = 3,146853...
    That means that i would shoot 3 times less with the Lasher compared to the Orion but its not like that. I need exatly like the Orion 7 shoots.

But the Lasher has take at last the double of the damage at the guy at the left side, why?
    Because the Lasher has 155 - 143 = 12 Damage points more. And with 6 shoots: 6 x 12 = 72 damage point - 143 (orion damage points) = 71 points more for the Lasher after the 6. shot.

That is the explanation that the Splash damage is not included in the Lasher bullet at direct hit!
    A little math i know :)
  16. faykid

Using lasher is duty. For papa Vanu, not for XP or kills. It makes you vulnerable, too. It is a sacrifice tool
    • Up x 1
  17. Shockwave44

The MCG suppresses and also kills. Who the hell is going to use a gun that isn't designed to kill? The flare with an extended mag is better at suppressing. Why? because it can actually kill something that decides to leave cover.

The whole reason suppression works in this game is because people are afraid to die. Problem with the lasher, it won't kill anyone in time so it's completely useless. I don't care if it's "fun" or not.

No one is afraid of the lasher.

This is what SOE needs to address.

Uh, no.

Comets, fractures, falcons, ravens, pounders, grenades, grenade launchers, and rocket launchers.

What were you saying again about the lasher being the only weapon capable of suppressing?

It's good at what it's intended? When you have a choice between killing and suppressing, who the hell is going to chose a gun that isn't intended to kill? That's like choosing a car that isn't intended to move.

Also, if you can't 1v1 someone who gets the drop on you or another weapon simply kills you faster, why on earth would anyone use the lasher?
    • Up x 5
  18. SteamBoiler

This is because splash damage doesn't work in the VR. I am not sure why its this way but it is.
    • Up x 2
  19. NameForForum

Oh, i will test it after friends of me are online. So i can test it ingame. Thanks for telling me that.

THAT IS THE SENTENCE OF THE DAY!!!! lol
    I laughed so much!
  20. Takoita

I like Lasher on my VS character and I see some of them every game session I play - even if in much fewer numbers than, say, Jackhammers.

Possible improvements? Maybe better accuracy in ADS?

(I would strongly oppose to making it how it was in PS1 though. Unique firing mechanics are needed, true, but from what I've seen in the game since F2P launch it is outrageously OP in base fights.)