Flashlight Gels are ready for testing!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by Tayradactyl, May 5, 2014.

1. KodiakBlack

*Holds up hands non-threateningly and backs away slowly* OK, didn't know that, the term is just a little odd coming from the laments perspective.
  2. Runegrace

It's an interesting idea. I'd consider the sun one simply because of the "Praise the Sun" jokes I could do. Some of the busier designs I don't care much for, though.

On that note, it'd be nice if there were some more 'serious' flashlight gels. One simple idea would be basic color swaps, especially if the light on the gun itself (that you see when looking 3rd perspective at someone with the light enabled) would change color. I've heard that a red filter is sometimes used at night because it doesn't ruin your natural night vision, for example. It also lets us have some empire-specific colors.

Speaking of ES, having some flavor lights like that could be nice as well. The Vanu have triangular scopes, so a light with that sort of shape rather than a simple circle could be interesting. Maybe one of them having a try-beam or something. Shooting in the dark a bit with this, and not really sure how the final product would actually look, but while some players want cool things like devils and skulls in their flashlights, other players would love to look even more sci-fi. Having cosmetic items that add to the lore of the game would be pretty nice as well.
    • Up x 3
  3. lampwarez

Oh my poor translation skills! :D

Before reading the thread, I was thinking that gel would be some kind of fluorescent sticky goo to throw on infiltrators, or in a wall, or stone, to reveal them (painted infiltrators must be funny... to the others).
  4. BobSanders123

I swear. The game is going to become even more dumb than before. What the hell happened to the gritty dirty look of the trailer? The dust, metal, and blood look of the game? In reality, the game is turning into a flipping fashion show. I understand the need for money, but this is the wrong way to go. I don't want every guy on the map having some smiley face pointing out of their gun.

We are the Terran Republic. Nope. YOLOSWAGSWAG470NOSCOPEFLASHLIGHTKILLOL.
    Live free in the NC! Nope. THUPERGOLDPLATEDTANKTREADSLOL.
    Power through technology! Nope. LOLSWAGRIDURLOOKATMYSHINYHUBCAPS.

You're turning this game into crap. Please get your priorities straight.
    • Up x 7
  5. Silver Fox

I haven't logged in to the forums for almost 6 months, but I did today just to say this:

NO.

If you're looking for things to do, get with whoever you need to and put out new weapons skins, so weapons don't all look almost exactly the same. That would be productive, and it's something the player base has been asking for for a LONG time. Sell them if you need to make things that generate money.

Stupid stuff like this is ruining the feel of the game; it's no longer the gritty first person shooter that it was originally billed as. As someone else said above, this is not a fashion show. We don't need any more rainbows, Commissar hats, or pink and gold monstrosities. Make this a cool game, not a freak show.
    • Up x 6
  6. Tommyp2006

Personally, I would never use something like this, and I think seeing others using these would be extremely distracting.

I would rather see the effort in cosmetics put into things like new armor variations, along with new vehicle cosmetics.
    • Up x 3
  7. DeadliestMoon

Just because you have a dirty mind doesnt mean they should change the name. No offence.
  8. DeadliestMoon

You know what else isnt apart of her job? Getting flak from the likes of you. Have a nice day.
  9. Silver Fox

In the very first line of the very first post of this thread, she asks how people feel about this. I answered her question.
    • Up x 2
  10. DrBash00

I like the Idea of this Flashlights. They are fun and give some nice Options for Fan Art + Increasing SOE income without killing the Gameplay :p

Btw. the "Rage Quit" light does not function on the Testserver.
  11. Torok

Where is my Nicholas Cage GEL!?

Anyway as for the feedback they are way too expensive and are those "darklights" or just normal flashlights?
  12. Arod

Just had a look at this on the PTS.

Question : Are we ever going be given the option to 'hide' cosmetics client side?

As some of this stuff is getting beyond a joke now.
    • Up x 4
  13. MichaelS

Can you bring cosmetics to tires when driving through water or get some tracks on the road? That would be cosmetics that matters.
  14. Skallo

This.
  15. LordMatt XLVIII

I convinced my brother to buy the bundle and he raged at me when he found out it didn't give him extra health.
    • Up x 3
  16. Stormsinger

Little things like this make the game money, and fuel development. This is far from pay to win, and it's a harmless toy I actually plan on buying a few of. I see no problem with the above flashlight gels, although I would allow players to turn them off if they don't want to see them.

Also, a C4 one would be amusing. :p

I do agree with the above sentiment about weapon models, though. There NEEDS to be more of these, even if functionality is similar, appearence matters. Go nuts with weapon models, add faction flavor - Give NC rails, duct tape, perhaps even blinky lights, even if they only blink for the player.

Give TR extra magazines that hang from the sides of their models, perhaps notches for killcount, scratches, etc... something that makes them look worn and unique, and a few more that look shiny and new - anything will do, NEW and UNIQUE are what the goal is. It's not difficult to make something look awesome.

Give the VS futuristic looking toys, not Purple_Rifle_92. Things with moving parts, parts that glow, spaceman-spiffy esque toys. Picture what Steampunk mixed with Plasma tech would look like, and throw in a few of those as well. Use fallout 3 plasma and energy weapons as inspiration. Anything but more of the same.
  17. RyanGUK

LOL that is an epic troll.
  18. sagolsun

That's PRECISELY why I'm okay with them being sold for smedbucks. They're vanity items with what is probably a NEGATIVE influence on player performance.
  19. Alpha8

Putting decals on mines/c4 would be hilarious. I can see my tank mines with little yellow smiley faces in the center or claymore's with the tuffin muffin decal. The only way this could be more epic would be if it shows the mine instead of the picture of the killer when you die to them. Heck I'd pay for this.
  20. -Synapse-

Well, it doesn't fit the setting in any way shape or form and feels like a bad fan mod more than an official feature. Then again the original art direction was slaughtered as soon as the first holiday camo came out, thrown into a shallow grave by the heart launchers, and nuked by all the meta decals.

You can't kill the original awesome concept for the game's atmosphere because it's already long dead, so go ahead and add these for all I care. Whatever lines your wallets and keeps the server hamsters going.