Flashlight Gels are ready for testing!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by Tayradactyl, May 5, 2014.

1. Smagjus

Of course flashlights have a purpose why would you claim otherwise? How else would you deal with stalker cloak?
  2. Bruno Puntz Jones

Thanks for explaining better than I ever could why we need a checkbox in graphics settings to turn off ALL custom skins on the client end and see only generic, default models for all characters and vehicles.
    • Up x 4
  3. LibertyRevolution

This thread needs pictures...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Why is the crosshair one not on PTS?? 8GB download and no crosshair gel.. :(

Also, white laser is broken, it keeps your primary weapon and does not have a white laser.
    Although it was cool to have my serpent shooting commissioner rounds. :eek:

About the colored lasers.. your going to sell gold lasers to all factions? looks very NC to me..
    [IMG]

This is fine:
    [IMG]

Video:
    • Up x 10
  4. KodiakBlack

Naming - Gels? Really? What's wrong with lenses or filters....
    Concept - Whatever, hope it's a buy the gel apply it to whatever gun you want or it's laughable, New laser sight colours pleases me however.
    Grumble - Overly cartoonish in principle, I wouldn't mind if it was different shapes and colours along a sci-fi theme, but the actual pictures makes it look like MLP for Christ's sake. I won't by the flashlight ones, and it will aggravate me seeing them in-game. More to the point my gut instinct is that the kind of player who will buy these are the kind of players who will enjoy the thought of other players being aggravated by it, food for thought, quite willing to admit this may be an overreaction on my part but still.
    • Up x 3
  5. Greiztoph

The making of this stupidity and the pushing back of Hossin and Continent locking better not be linked....
    • Up x 4
  6. tigerchips

When i tested the coloured lasers they were all white, i mean, they were white instead of coloured.
  7. tigerchips

White laser just shows the main gun when swapping to commissioner.
  8. Jeralamo

Please do not add these. They do not fit into the game. They are a step too far.

This stuff makes me feel the same way I felt when I saw Tassadar and Diablo riding a rainbow unicorn on Heroes of the Storm.
    Why do you have to take something I value and make it pink or whatever. When I finished Starcraft, Tassadar was my favorite character and I thought he was cool and a badass. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE HIM RIDE A RAINBOW UNICORN!!
    (picture i found on google images.)
    [IMG]
    When these go live just go ahead and allow cowboy hats, fair wings, pope hats, princess tiaras, and cat ears. I thought people were pissed when the hockey masks and horned mohawks came out...
    • Up x 4
  9. LibertyRevolution

Because gels are what they are called in the professional lighting world.
    If you ever worked on lighting you would understand this...

Lenses and filters are different animals than gels, although you can have a gel filter..
    I worked on stage lighting/truss/rigging.. the term gels is fine.
    • Up x 2
  10. biterwylie

Light assault revamp - unscheduled

Galaxy update - never happening

Flashlight gels - ohhh yeah.
    • Up x 6
  11. nubery

Imagine if you actually put effort into the game.
    • Up x 6
  12. Alpha8

· Are you still able to see/shoot effectively with a gel equipped?

Passive testing says yes. Although I noticed that sometimes when equipping and then pulling out the pistol it pulls a model my main gun instead. This also affected reload animations, and while allowing me to reload my pistol like a pump action shotgun is amusing it would probably be a good idea to fix this before going to live.

· Which gels are the most usable? Which are the least?

I would say anything that reduces the overall visual area of the flashlight may cause a reduction in usage by players. I am going to assume that the visuals do not actually reduce the capabilities of the flashlight however. And in fact this may actually make the flashlight better since it will make it easier to pick out a revealed infiltrator causing balance issues with the item.

· Do you notice any impact to performance with a gel equipped?

None in passive testing. A full scale platoon vs. platoon battle may say differently.

· Would you want to use a gel flashlight on Live?

Yes, however, a few changes would have to be made before I will be willing to purchase these. First make them take up a cosmetic only slot. Similar to camo but for the flashlight. This would mean I would have to unlock the flashlight with certs then equip my chosen cosmetic. Second, if they are not already make them universal and cross faction. If I pay station cash for a cosmetic that is not obviously faction specific I want to be able to use it cross faction. Finally, a price reduction, 500 station cash seems a bit much for a re-skin for a flashlight.

· Anything else we need to know about?

That name needs a change. When I first saw it, I thought it was a glow-stick that could be thrown and would act as an AOE flashlight. Allowing you to pick out infiltrators who walked into its radius. (Which is something you guys should totally implement by the way).

Also, as someone else pointed out in this thread already it's kinda sex toy sounding.

Finally, this is a great idea. If well implemented (As I pointed out there are possible balance issues with purchasing and area coverage) it could be a great way to support the game while having a little fun. I certainly would have never thought of it.

Have a nice day!
    • Up x 1
  13. Timithos

And I just listened to Higby's interview and how he carefully struggles with priorities on what needs to go into the game first... and his credibility just got shot to hell with flashlight gels.

Are you guys really so stuck in a vicious cycle of chasing monetized items while actually important features get delayed continuously?

I'd monetize the following items. I'm guessing you could make MILLIONS of dollars off these, and then get to the real business of finishing the current Roadmap without having to push things back or leave them unscheduled.

• Name changes
    • One-way server transfer from over-populated factions to under-populated factions
    • Certification resets
    • KDR resets
    • Up x 6
  14. Tayradactyl Developer

Everything you mentioned requires a large amount of code and UI time. These cosmetics require neither. While we try to prioritize things based on how badly you guys want them, we're not going to hold off on releasing easy content for the sake of something that could take months of work to complete.

On a semi-related note, since this gets brought up a lot, every developer on this team has a specialized job. There isn't much overlap because it's not an efficient way to manage content. Adding new cosmetics is part of my job, and it has practically zero impact on anyone else's job.
    • Up x 13
  15. doombro

I love the idea, but I'm not fond of them at the moment. I'd have to spend more just to get a decal I already have on a flashlight I already have. It doesn't help that they're weapon-specific, either. Plus, no rum or MLG decal. No bueno. :mad:

If I could select from decals I already owned and it wasn't treated as a separate attachment, I'd be all over them.
  16. davoll

I found one issue with testing 1/4 of my screen is blank when I go into menus (right side). I have restarted the game and validated the files and still the same thing.
    • Up x 1
  17. kadney

Do the flashlights still shine trough objects? Like this:
    [IMG]

What objects actually block the beam itself and it's functionality? What happens if you point a flashlight on a building wall, and there is a cloaked infiltrator on the other side of the wall? Will he get illuminated? or does the wall block it? :)
  18. Gundam

I would not put the gel's on the live server. Reason being that it is not a good choice for this kind of game. Maybe make the flashlights color of there faction. Yellow, Blue for NC, Purple, Green for VS and so on. I asked my guild mates and they said they would not pay for something like this Gel flashlight.
    • Up x 5
  19. TRWolff1963

Nice. And it's true. few hours or minutes on a design to throw in and play with. And on that note. lets try and remember most of us are here for fun. Yes we get aggravated at SOE. Some of us SWG who are in therapy still for example.
    Over all lot of shooter games have wall paint or flashlight gel effects. So far most of the "funny/cute" items are low impact visuals. Like the heart cross bow. Or shoulder patches. The most outrageous stuff is camouflage colors. But over all everyone seems fine with it.
    And from the looks of it. it's an over lay over the dark light. So as shown in one example above. the light it self isn't the gel. So the dark light works as normal.

I assume that if you hit X it turns off. So as to avoid being seen if your making an ambush. If you want to set it as a on off toggle to for other players to see it. That way players who enjoy it can enjoy it. and those who don't won't need to see it in first place.

And as it is your job to come up with content. Not a bad idea. Fun and entertaining. For those who are into it. Good job. I might get the skull. maybe.
    • Up x 1
  20. LagLight

Bring out spray cans instead, so I can leave a (Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, or Half-Life) style decal on a wall or vehicle.

You can already display explosion marks and bullet hole graphics on terrain and vehicles, so it can't be that hard. It would be fun to spray paint enemy vehicles while playing an infiltrator just to drop the enemy down a shelf when they realize they have been Free'domed! with NC colors, Upgraded with VS styling, or Dominated with the TR's old faithful "Red-White-" ...and...ahh.... "-Grey!". Putting Outfit logos on the side of buildings would also be cool.
    • Up x 2