Planetside 2 Base/Map Designing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpyShadow28, Mar 16, 2014.

1. HadesR

True but it would be nice if the Dev's revisited more bases to fix the design mistakes they made ..

EG: Crossroads ... And case in point being the surrounding high ground makes it to easy for tanks to spam inside of the base itself ..

A base and terrain should be built as a whole to complement each other , While Indar looks like they closed their eyes and said " that will do "
  2. SpyShadow28

Here is this weeks Planetside 2 Work In Progress. Almost forgot to post it. I have not watched it but I did download it to watch later.
    Planetside 2 Work In Progress - 4.15.2014

The SDK is coming along. I am only importing the models that the cryengine exporter lets me export from 3D Max. The models that fail will have to be fixed to export correctly. The cry exporter is really annoying. You think the exporter would just export and trust that the modeler did a good job on the model.

Watching the WIP Videos have help me identify models I should add to the SDK right away when they click on them and I can see there path to that model.

I am going to post a link here soon so you can begin mapping. Not everything will be in the package but enough to get started. You will need the CryEngine Free SDK first before you can do anything, below is a link to that.

CryEngine Free SDK
    • Up x 1
  3. SpyShadow28

Here is the PS2 CryEngine Assets I have worked on. Bookmark the link below for future updates to the assets.

PS2 - CryEngine Assets

I have to warn you guys, even tho the download is only 30 MB or so right now, that will decompress to 1 GB. CryEngine apparently has no compression for its model files format.

You merge the folders with your sdk. Under GeoEnity list in the editor, you see Planetside2 with objects you can use. If any objects have a error or the textures don't match up right, don't use the object sense I could be still trying to fix it.
    • Up x 1
  4. SpyShadow28

Tell you guys what, this was a pain to get into cryengine due to polygon errors with the exporter but I finally got it imported. It's breath taking to see the size of this structure in the game compared to the player.

Tower Picture

I do got to ask you guys. Should I leave that tower into 3 separate pieces like the PS2 Developers did or should I combine it all into one giant structure where you can just place it?
    • Up x 1
  5. Crashsplash

I have one word for you.

The siege of Malta 1565
    The siege of Malta 1940 - 1943
    • Up x 1
  6. TheFamilyGhost

While you are right, you will lose if comparing success of the besieged vs the besiegers.

Also, knowledge of the geographical location of Malta will explain much.

Anyway, hole up all you want. If spamming tunnel corners and doorways is the future of the game, players will move on.
  7. eldarfalcongravtank

i just have one issue with bases: that they look so sterile, cold and lifeless.

it's like nobody ever dwelled or worked there before the war started. what are all the terminals and computer screens for if it's just a "base" that the three factions fight over? where is the machinery that workers had to operate to produce something? where did these people live and sleep if they weren't working?

i know this game has enough problems with performance already, but i think prettifying ALL the bases a little and giving them a bit more point should be the next big thing in the next months
    • Up x 2
  8. SpyShadow28

Another update to the asset package. You now have vehicle terminals, control points, generators. Lot more updates in the future.

PS2 - CryEngine Assets

if you don't see the RAR File, be patient, it's uploading...
    This makes me want to start building a level but I know I got to wait until a good percent of assets are in the package.

Should I add different faction terminals and stuff?
    • Up x 1
  9. SpyShadow28

Some of the building objects are split into pieces and you have to assemble them in the map editor, its not hard to do. You just copy the XYZ Cordinates from one object to the others and then group them so you can move the entire thing around. Here is a screenshot of the tower.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mksgwj9v2v401e/tower2.jpg
    • Up x 1
  10. Darthsebious

Cheers for doing this bud. I'm currently downloading CE3 to have a look at these.
  11. SpyShadow28

Thanks, Ever sense I started to watch the Planetside 2 Work In Progress episodes from twitch, I wanted to build my own bases. Some models won't export due to the cry engine exporter being annoying with errors. CryEngine is a very awesome real time engine but the exporter sucks. CryEngine editor will be the closes you get to the terrain editor from planetside 2.

If you get any errors in the console about model to high in poylgon count for physics simulation, ignore that, I will add a cfg file in the package to remove those errors. Something I forgot to add to the pack.

Also sometime today, New Planetside 2 Work In Progress Episode.

http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/profile
    • Up x 1
  12. Darthsebious

Yeah I've used loads of editors in the past. I just needed a reason to start learning CE3. :)
  13. Darthsebious

So, I've got stuff in the editor and I'm just looking through the assets that you've exported already (again, massive thank you).

Are you exporting these in any order?
  14. SpyShadow28

"Yeah I've used loads of editors in the past. I just needed a reason to start learning CE3."

Same thing. This gives me a reason to mess with it. I do wish the model exporter for cryengine just let anything export no matter if it has errors or not. I mean, can't they just trust that the modeler did a good job.

I am exporting them randomly. I have another 1 TB Hard Drive in my pc which has nothing but the Cry Engine SDK and all planetside 2 assets. I go into this giant folder full of raw assets from planetside 2 and just pick stuff that is more important and export it in the same place. I then have a batch script that automatically extracts the cryengine files for the package you downloaded. I will update the package later today, you will see a few more buildings.

What is interesting is how the download is very small but once you extract it, it becomes a couple GB.

"" Remember, there are tons more assets for me to export, so expect updates every few weeks. Bookmark the package link""

Work in Progress from developers airs @ 3 pm Pacific Time

If you need any help contact me on steam > http://steamcommunity.com/id/SpyShadow117
    • Up x 1
  15. SpyShadow28

This was a pain to get into cryengine due to high polygon count and high vertex count plus vertex errors but I managed to get it into the game.

Had to do some special export strategy as in playing around with it to get this to work. Here is a screenshot.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/4vxunhkl0d0ryc4/spawnroom.jpg
    • Up x 1
  16. Sebastien

Having a defensible base would work with the new Resource system. It might be a bit slower, but the Defenders will have to break out or abandon the base.
    • Up x 2
  17. Loui5D

Any eta on getting buildings exported? Having to build using just the walls makes it take around 20 mins per building because you have to duplicate the walls and rotate them round.
  18. SpyShadow28

I have started to export buildings, you can already find some under Common/Structures

I exported the giant tower. I found a loophole in the exporter to combine models together so that you don't have to combine the pieces together in the editor.

I will continue to export more buildings today.
    • Up x 1
  19. K2k4

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  20. Celludriel

It's a valiant effort, but lets be hounest SOE will not pay any intention to anything you make. However that being said, nothing is stopping you for using the assets in cryengine and create maps and a gametype to play , in the cryengine :)