AV MANA turret 450 meter range now

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by squarebug, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Epic High Five

If there was any justice in the world, the AV turret would fire backwards, instantly killing the user and for good measure whatever medic is closest to him.

AV turrets render a bit farther than infantry, provided it is occupied.

It's not common knowledge because at 301 meters they're like a pixel
    • Up x 3
  2. Revanmug

Today, you would have been killed by a predator drone without being able to do anything about it.
    Today, you would have been killed by a sniper 1.5km away. It wouldn't even need to hit a vital organ considering the caliber hiting you.
    Today, a MBT would have simply fire 2km away with a pinpoint accuracy because they can.

Today, I found another poster that can't seem to realise the game isn't being balance on its real life countepart. How unique and interesting. Never seen that before.
    • Up x 2
  3. Tuco

Should be weaker than shoulder fired weapons.
    Shouldn't even be in the game.
    • Up x 1
  4. Hatesphere

but its not a shoulder mounted weapon, it has no ability to maneuver in and out of cover like a HA with a launcher.

Also should have never been in the game, why? or is this just like the over powered crossbows that I still haven't been killed by more then 30 times in the last month?

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/thank-you-for-the-hunter-cloak.175636/
    • Up x 1
  5. Tuco

hehe, when I'm right I'm right.
  6. Hatesphere

You're funny, that's why I follow your posts :p
  7. JP_Russell

Has anybody tried sniping the engineer off the AV turret since the patch? Nobody in here is mentioning the little tidbit about the tightening of the turret's hitbox, which should actually be very relevant. We've all been conditioned up to this point to just accept that there's no hitting the user with small arms fire from the front because of its magical hitbox, but if that's changed, AV turrets should finally have more counters in the form of sniper fire. So, is the user vulnerable now, or did the hitbox tweak not really change anything?
    • Up x 1
  8. BeastingOnYah

That right there is why the nerf was needed!
  9. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Too bad it is not 250 meters
  10. andy_m

Why should a rocket be limited to infantry render distance?

As far as I am concerned, any so called "Anti Vehicle" weapon should have the same range as the vehicles they are designed to counter, otherwise what is the point of making them AV???
  11. MasonSTL

Could you tell me what should be in the game? I'm eager to know! :p
  12. Tuco

Less is better.
  13. Copasetic

Exactly. And since vehicles can only hit infantry at 300m (or much less, depending on how much is going on) infantry AV weapons should also counter vehicles only inside this range. Infantry don't need a counter to something that can't hit them in the first place, do they?

Best solution would be to make infantry and vehicles render at the same range, but they don't seem to want to do this and won't share the reason why.
  14. MarkAntony

Because having a tank suddenly materialize out of thin air at 300m is stupid and having infantry render more than 300m would kill your computer.

450m is only acceptable if it always renders out to that range. Maybe I read over that part in the patch notes but AFAIK rendering hasn't been touched in this patch so i guess I'll still see them appear and disappear at 250m in larger battles. And now even their missiles have romulan cloaking devices. GG SOE, GG......

Actually you do not get the point he was making. He said the effective range of the turret was less than 450m if you steer it. He is correct. Since "effective range" means distance to the turret when the missile ceases to exist not distance traveled by the missile.(not including hitting something closer)

Quick trip to Wikipedia reveals that something like a TOW actually has a range of 4000m.
    But then again modern tank guns have ranges of 4000m too. And 10 times the muzzle velocity of my Vanguard AP cannon. In addition to being stabilized etc.
    Citing IRL examples doesn't matter though.
    • Up x 1
  15. Captain Kid

If that's true they've made it useless. Because at 300 meters and lower you are sniper bait.
    Don't really care I think it is a stupid weapon anyway but it's the only viable AV weapon I have as infantry right now since lock on weapons are garbage.
  16. andy_m

I cannot be sure, but my interpretation of stuff rendering at different times/distances is purely to do with the fact that the game cannot cope with everything rendering at once, so the devs have to make compromises which unfortunately sometimes affects gameplay.

Also, my understanding has always been that, although infantry may now not render until <300 metres, the MANA turrets render further out. I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong. I don't have any figures because I'm not really all that bothered.

My needs are simple and I am not one to bother asking, nay, hounding for nerfs/buffs/balances just to suit myself.

(okay, I may add my opinions regarding one or two things, but that's it LOL)
  17. Copasetic

It does in almost empty areas, once you get 12-24 on both sides that doesn't hold anymore and by the time you reach 48+ both infantry and turrets are rendering at 200m or less. The end result looks something like this:

It affects all infantry AV, not just the MANA. There's Lancers and Comets flying about with no way to shoot back, even for the snipers positioned near our vehicles.

Like you said, not everything can be rendered at once. But I'd like to know if there's any reason to keep vehicles rendering further than infantry, other than it sometimes looks stupid. I'd take that over broken gameplay any day.
  18. JudgeDeath

Buddy ... Projectile travel distance and WEAPON RANGE are not the same thing.

You can no longer fire high in the sky and then direct the projectile in with a steep angle, because your limited travel time cuts down the "Weapon range". To me this is a big nerf to the flexibility and fun of the weapon, maybe needed nerf but still a shame it had to come to this instead of fixing the projectile and turret rendering.
    • Up x 1
  19. TheFamilyGhost

Today, I read a post that's obviously an emotional defense of entitlement.

What makes a person want to play an easy game? When does the needy end and player begin? Never. Some people never grow tired of making the game less challenging... not tomorrow, not today.
  20. andy_m

Perhaps we are kidding ourselves that this is a MMOFPS?

I've even been in one of the larger spawn rooms and, when turning round to exit via another door, I cannot even see my own team mates for a short time. Although you could argue that it is not as important to see my team mates, I suppose, as it is the enemy I want to kill, not them.

I suppose you could argue that vehicles and aircraft, and other larger items render first simply because of their size, and then their importance to game play. I personally feel that I would rather see a bunch of tanks coming from that base in the distance well before the foot zerg, only because they can do more, and longer range damage.

Until we get the power, in terms of CPU/GPU and also internet connection speeds we will always be confronted with this issue, and even then the game devs will always be pushing the boundaries...

Anyway... better get back on topic before someone shouts at me......