Why do maxes "ruin fights"?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by xboxerdude, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Kriegson

Of course, the issue is that 2/3rds of the pop agrees that it is OP. 1/3rd does not. Wonder why this i- oooh right Those 2/3rds are on the receiving end and have likely never even attempted to use a scatmax.

I mean, compare shotguns and LMG's on the heavy assault. Compare them to MAXes, hell the pump shotguns even have a 0k0. So why isn't everyone using shotguns all the time?
    Oh right, because they're extremely polarized weapons that are only useful a fraction of the time. :rolleyes:

And yet 2/3rds of pop simply chooses ignorance and "It killed me and I can't use it, nerf now!".
  2. Moz

A max is only as good as his engi, soon as you kill off that engi they fall in no time and certainly don't "ruin" fights.

If anything they add something to the game, it requires you to change what you are doing and think about how you will deal with that max crash.

People who say that this game is skill based and maxes don't require skill are 1. Wrong (a max takes as much learning as any other unit to be used effectively) and 2. Short sighted because even if the maxes were "skill less" it still requires skill to take them out, even more skill than any other unit.

Max units add to the game they don't take away.
    • Up x 2
  3. Surmise

one thing is true, Many players in this game can't handle losing very well, +1 there, but let me tell you why your post is full of insignificance and utterly false.

If i can't handle losing very well, why do i have to face unfair unit in terms of power in the same areas(cqc, buildings, cap points) where i'm operating with any of other 4 infantry classes(game's main objective)? why? why? let me tell you theres no logical explanation except that i just have to face unit that has 17 times more hp than me and kills me in less than half a second up close aaand of top of it all i'm facing not 1 at the same time but 5 or 10 depending on how enemies are retrded.
    Thing is players that care about overall fairness want balance, and balance is everythng for a competetive game, it's not like we are playing this game to admire the 'beautiful' graphics and or to chat with strangers 24/7, we are here to shoot, play as team, play king of the hill cap points, name it..

Also xboxerdude start playin an actual FPS game than point and click adventure, seriously 50000+ kills with NC max AI weapons with extremely low kills per min? are you autistic(sorry but srs?)?? cant comprehend what were you doing
    • Up x 1
  4. Surmise

Boys n girls answer to the OP's question is extremely simple and clear as well as obvious, stop deluding yourselves already.

MAXes ruin FUN infantry fights 24/7 because NO ONE WANTS TO RUN/ RUSH TO 5 OR 10 OF THEM(doesnt matter if supported with engies) JUST TO DIE FOR TO WATCH DEATH SCREEN 15 SECONDS AND TO WASTE NEXT 40-50 TO RUN TO SAME PLACE AND DO SAME THING AGAIN, SIMPLE AS THAT YO.(looking at you bio lab/1point base fights camped by 10-20MAXES 24/7 by 'organised outfits' and 'pro solo' players seriously?).
  5. John_Aitc

With the exception of my Burster Max, I never pull one unless it is to counter an enemy Max Unit. I would much rather play my Infiltrator. Once I get in the suit I am in it until I die because I do not want to waster the resource points. If I could go to a friendly terminal and deconstruct it, I would.
  6. Haquim

Actually there are some flaws in that line of thought: Firstly, who says I don't? On my LA I rarely don't use a shotgun.
    Secondly, you're comparing two completely different things that only have the one thing you want to compare in common. They can OHK.
    Of course the heavy shotgun of a HA or LA or Engineer or whatever can OHK too.
    But then it's like you compare the performance of a heavy machinegun mounted on a jeep to a very similar one mounted on a tank.
    I'm pretty sure that they got the same damage output, but the tank will usually still wreak more havoc with it.

To put it in PS2 game terms: NC MAXs (I still love their nickname, so fitting) can fire, I don't know exactly, lets say 6 rounds each from two guns at the same time, roughly equaling 12 pellets with 125? dmg each. Thats a bit more than a heavy shotgun, which is always pump-action. Let's ignore the Jackhammer for now, since its NC too. The MAX guns on the other hand are semiautomatic. So.... in the time the other guy needs for the second shot you can shoot about three times. Hmm.. you kinda outperform him there...
    Okay never mind, next point: Idk the hp on a heavy shield, so lets give him 500. So a heavy has 1.5k HP. You actually need TWO shots for him without HS. So he actually has a chance to kill you, right? Oh wait... you got 2k hp? And 80% damage reduction without Upgrades? OH....
    Not saying that he should be able to, since you spent a good chunk on res on it. Just saying that you're comparing one characteristic thats completely worthless without knowing the rest.
    If your MAX had 10 hp you could get a 1.5k RPM 600 dmg on 20, degrading to 200 at 80, hitscan, 0/0/0/0/0 weapon for all I care.

Seriously, when I mess up with my shotgun as LA, sometimes even with my HA, the guy might turn around and kill me with a few headshots before I can fire the second shot. Try that with a NC MAX. YES I can OHK. But I'm a GLASSCANNON.

And MAXs are no Vehicles! If I finally manage to take him down, a single medic might undo all my work. Which was propably a suicide attack anyway.

Regarding that "you don't know how hard it is, go play some". I assume that 600 kills with a heavy pump-action and a class that doesnt survive a whole SMG clip prove that I know how to aim a shotgun.

The funny thing is that I recently tested the damage output of NC and TR MAX units and TTK on a VR MAX. It was so close as to be the exact same. Difference being that the NC can retreat to cover to reload when the TR guy didn't even deal a third of his damage yet.
    PS: What I didn't test - can the NC MAX reload while using his shield?
  7. UberBonisseur

Corrected:
    Stalemates aren't fun; but back and forths with no outcome are.

Now, gotta ask yourself the question:
    Would the infantry gameplay better off without MAX units ?

In my opinion, overall I'd say yes.
    Why ?

• It's too easy to reach the control point with a MAX crash
    You can drop an instant MAX crash just add water on top of the control point. This applies to about 90% of the bases in PS2, just fly a Gal over, or get out of the TP room, or use a jump pad and "poof", sudden MAX crash you have no time to prepare against. In PS1, with the limited ammount of MAX seats on transports, it was less of an issue. Less, it was still a problem.

• Indoor MAXes are hated, outdoor MAXes are fine
    No one complains about facing MAXes outdoor, they fill a role, and have weaknesses. They're decent at AA and AV, you don't pull AI often due to the low accuracy, but still. Indoor, you soon realize that MAX crashing is the answer to MAX camping. Outdoors, MAXes are much more vulnerable to vehicles than infantry, while still able to withstand a few hits.

• Everybody can spawn a MAX
    That wasn't the case in PS1, because cert system. Here, it's the same problem with tank zergs or air zergs, everybody can spawn a MAX on a whim. Since a MAX is technically superior to basic infantry, you SHOULD spawn a MAX if you have enough resources.

• The 5 infantry classes are already fully functional
    Why MAX units ? We've got the Infiltrator for recon needs, flanking and long range, the Light Assault for flanking, shock attacks and AV, the Medic for support and sustainability, the Engineer for support and defense, the Heavy Assault for AI and AV.

What is the role of the MAX units ? Pushing ? Defense ? There is no need for a pushing MAX if there is no defensive MAX. If the enemy is too entranched, Light Assaults can disturb the defense by attacking unexpected angles, or infiltrators can flank the enemy and pick them off, or heavies can just conc in and rush.

But it feels like the MAX solves a problem that only exists because of itself.
    In TF2 the Heavy/Medic combo is the central part in holding the frontline, but the Sniper and Spy are specifically designed to counter it. In PS2, especially with numbers, the only way to counter a lot of MAXes is a lot of MAXes, and everything else is inferior.
  8. Kriegson

Max.

Retreat to cover.

So just to kill more than 6 people, I either need to either blow a cooldown on dash or replace dash with a shield that is utterly useless against C4, forces you to walk, and is horribly bugged (if you die with shield on you can't fire, swap weapons, knife, etc when you respawn). Or I should always be within 3 feet of a wall. For 4 seconds. While other maxes reload in nearly half the time, with 1.5 more kills, far easier and at longer ranges. Literally M1 + hover over heads for victory.

Right...And what is the alternative? Everyone ******* about how OP it is, but does anyone have a single constructive criticism on how to make shotguns balanced but also MAX worthy weapons? Right, didn't think so.
  9. UberBonisseur

Combine both slugs and pellets in the same shot, reduce pellet damage.

Gets slightly weaker in CQC (to match other empires), and more efficient at longer ranges.
  10. Caserion

It's like bringing a vehicle to a gunfight. I want to fight infantry, not a bunch of tanks screwing around outside and not small harraser with 2 shotguns/LMGs fighting inside a building.

It's even worse when they pull Maxes even when you're outnumbered. Did you truly need those 10 Max units camping the spawns for that one BR 1 medic?

It isn't even fun to take them out, you'll probably die anyway and the MAX unit gets revived...
  11. Haquim

OH GOD. WHERE IN A BIOLAB COULD I FIND A WALL TO TAKE COVER! IM DOOMED!
    Everytime the NC MAXs advantages get criticiced....
    Yeah, as soon as our fights happen on plain ground between bases I'll agree with you. As long as MAXs almost exclusively live indoors, not so much.

I can count the non-burster MAXs I met outside in the last months on one hand. A totally occluded base where vehicles can't hit does NOT count as outside. Occasionally there is a NC MAX firing those terrible laser guided abominations on top of a tower or something, but those are so far away they don't need cover. Its like a engi AV turret....

And I do have a proposition for your shotguns: Increase magsize by 50%, reduce reloadtime by 33% and add a firing delay like pump-actions have, 0.6 seconds or so. Roughly the same DPS with more sustain. And missing a OHK shot will HURT you instead of just putting another 5 after the guy.
  12. SacredRay

The only MAX I use is a 2x Comet Max and that's when there's alot of turrents/vehicles. But even then, I know that most players are stupid and just don't want to spend effort to deal with a MAX. Whenever I see a Max, I change to heavy and get a free kill with my Decimator. Its even better when I'm TR, but I chuck my whole Bandolier of Concussion grenades and Wombo Combo my way to a kill streak.

Nerds.
  13. Kriegson

The system can't register two types of bullets in a single shot. You could say, reduce amount of pellets, reduce spread and modify damage but then you end up with normal scats being mattocks and mattocks being..well longer ranged mattocks. And lets be honest if you can't kill in two shots with a shotgun the TTK raises dramatically as does how many rounds you are wasting in a very small mag trying to kill someone.

The only thing I could think of is reduce pellets, reduce spread, modify damage, increase magazine size, fire rate and effective range. Reduce reload speed.
    You're better off with a brand new weapon to replace it. Scat is "balanced" around high damage, low rof, low ammunition, low range, slow reload.
  14. Skyfaun

Maxes are nowhere as near game-changing as vehicles.

- Maxes can be hurt by small arms fire.
    - Maxes are easily 2v1'd (two people with shotguns = 1 dead max).
    - Maxes cannot fly, so you can use cover against them, and their regen is absurdly slow.
    - NC shotgun maxes can two shot other faction's maxes.
    - I usually get only one kill when I pull a max.
  15. Posse

lol'd

lol'd again
  16. Skyfaun

I've solo killed countless maxes with my LA just using my shotgun, so yeah. two shotgun clips = dead max.

Maxes just make the fights more interesting, you might as well remove mines and turrets as to nerf them.
  17. Posse

If a MAX gives you enough time to empty 2 whole shotgun magazines then he should consider uninstalling.
    • Up x 3
  18. oherror

You guys do realize regardless of your opinion of maxes they are going to stay in the game. They are not going anywhere. If you hate them that is fine. But it would be better to accept the fact that they are here to stay and figure out ways to take them out with ease.

1 best way to down them regardless of set up is HA rockets. C4 works to a lesser extent if they are not running flak. Most of the time you can bait them into a trap with several squadies. Sure a few may die but you will down the max and he cant just get another max like you can spawn as whatever you were when you died.
    • Up x 1
  19. Jaedrik

We already know ways, why stop pointing out the flaw in the game? Eventually, and hopefully, the developers will realize what we do. That is the hope of all those who express their opinions.
  20. Ivalician

You say tomato, I say tomatoh. Tamater? At this point though, I think I'd prefer a nasty, meantgrinder of a stalemate over the quick, overwhelming caps that constitute 90% of Planetside gameplay.

More importantly, you agree with one of my bigger issues with MAXes: MAXes literally have no purpose outside of providing overwhelming firepower in comparison to standard infantry. They do not play differently enough from any of the other infantry classes to really warrant their effectiveness. They certainly do not require increased skill. With the exception of burster MAXes, they are entirely extraneous.