Get rid of C4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by why spend my cash?, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormsinger

C4's performance and use is spotty, and rather irritating to be on the receiving end of when those using it do not render during massive fights.
    That said, C4 (Or something like it) is almost necessary to combat armor zergs in low armor resource scenarios - it thins the herd. If it becomes too rage-inducing, hang back and snipe in a proxy radar tank.
  2. Riddlley

There is basically no risk to the LA. He at most might spend 1 to 2 minutes getting to the tank, if that long. After that, 10 seconds later he can respawn and do it again, and if he manages to use up all 40 C4 that he's stocked up on after grinding a biolab...

If the tank gets C4d that's it. Tank is dead. It doesn't come back.

The risk does not align with the reward, not even close. I am rarely C4d nowadays, as all it takes is some awareness, and some careful positioning. Getting C4'd is however quite frustrating. Yes, you can cite the fact that all tanks have proximity radar available to them. Fine. I would be completely fine with it if MBTs werent instance gibbed though. I can take 11 anti tank rockets... But only 2 C4? That comes off a bit silly.

2 man medium tank != 1 guy with a jetpack and C4
    • Up x 1
  3. AzureKnight

In your comment, replace C4 with the word MAX and get back to me.
  4. smokemaker

Get rid of C4

So i can farm without needing to be aware of my surroundings.

These C4 deaths are hurting my farming.
  5. Syrathin

You've also got to move through all the infantry between you and the tank, Got to keep in mind LA .vs. Tank only occurs after the LA gets through the wall of bodies attacking the base you're bombarding.
  6. Riddlley

That's the point though. It happens often enough to make note of it. I'm not actually directing this at the armour zerg, I'm just pointing out how vulnerable tanks are when they are close to infantry.

They can't push infantry on a open field like they should, instead they fear instant death from everything on two legs. While C4 is not nessesarily a problem, it is part of it. Generally speaking, AV isn't something infantry has to specialize in. The only exception to that is the Max. That's what I take issue with.

My problem is when organised armour columns get picked apart and sometimes literally charged by footzergs. I'm talking about open fields in the middle of nowhere. Tanks in the modern world are not cavalry. They are for flushing entrenched positions, pushing the open field, and destroying other vehicles. Tanks don't really serve a purpose that infantry don't at the moment. That's the issue.
  7. Rift23

50+ vehicles and nobody brought a scout flash.
  8. CapperDeluxe

C4 is perfectly fine as it is really, the only real problem I have with it is that every class (except Infil) can carry it. To me it seems it makes sense they should be only available to Light Assault and Engineer. Heavy Assaults already have rocket launchers and Medics are supposed to be doing medic'y things.

How about instead we give Medics a healing pack (like the Engi ammo pack), only it costs infantry resources to resupply.

And for the Heavy Assaults, maybe give them an ammo pack that costs infantry resources to resupply.
    • Up x 1
  9. AzureKnight

I agree with this. but it seems almost every time I suggest removing c4 from medics entirely, everyone complains about how people need to stop complaining for the removal of C4. I don't care that it exists, I just don't want the medic having it as it makes no sense. I rarely see it used on heavies though so I'm indifferent with them having it or not.
  10. Pondera

Let's be honest here. Do we really need C4 to kill MAXs? Not really, since they die in less than a clip of LMG ammo. They're tough but far from invincible.

Is it just so damn satisfying to blow an NC Scatmax into tiny chunks of previously smug smoldering metal, and scatter them all over the tech plant with a C4 brick? GOD YES.
  11. Syrathin

If that's your opinion that's fair enough but it doesn't really refute my original comment that C4 is high risk/reward.

The best is when you know they're about to move though a doorway, Drop some C4 just to the side of the doorway and move back a little ways then watch the fireworks. :D
  12. TheBlindFreak

Just to throw this out there:

AV grenades + grenade bandolier. Spam 4 of those suckers into a crowded room, using different angles to get decent coverage in the room. That's more OP than C4 as you can throw it farther horizontally and throw them all quicker than you can throw 2 C4 and detonate them.
  13. Casterbridge

As someone whose done similar before and makes heavy use of AV grenades and bandoleer all I can say is "SHHH!"
    • Up x 1
  14. CNR4806

Except not really, because usually when the C4 is already used (ie. dropped), the tank will get blown up for sure. Killing a fairy AFTER he plant the C4s isn't exactly common.

So as long as the fairy doesn't mind his KD going down, there's no risk to him at all because he can practically keep trying ad infinitum until your tank finally goes ka-boom.
  15. Axehilt

If someone gets into melee range against you with an explosive, then you've lost.

If you walk into someone's doorway trap, you've lost.

Both are fair, and the first one even takes a reasonable amount of skill (and the latter one takes planning).

Basically C4 is balanced and not even all that effective compared with vehicle or MAX playstyles (and in MAXes' case there's just no cost-effective counter and they're just outright overpowered whereas any jerk with C4 is typically pretty easy to kill.)
  16. William Petersen

I play a MAX a lot, and I've learned these sorts of tricks. I've wasted probably half or two-thirds the C4 intended to kill me by just moving, (or not moving, as the case may be). Not to say I never get blown up by it, but I find Rocket Launchers (especially those ******* Decis) *far* more irritating than C4 (yes, I do have max MAX Flak armour).

As for Anti-Tank C4: Proximity Radar = C4 immunity.
  17. Syrathin

There are the occasional maxes that don't fall for it but in my experience firing a few shots at a max then moving back out of line of sight is like waving a red flag in front of a bull, They just can't resist chasing after you.
  18. Copasetic

If you stay in a position for him to keep trying indefinitely I'd say you're doing something very wrong. All you need to do to avoid him coming back is, like, move.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but this is really one of those things that only affects tank drivers who are camping or parking somewhere close to infantry spawn points for long periods of time. And in both of those situations you deserve to be blown up by infantry.
    • Up x 1
  19. Krayus_Korianis

Get rid of HackMaxes, they're so overpowered.
  20. Wobberjockey

you forgot BASR's

remember that they are the only things that kill players when they are outside 10 m, which is why the nano weave nerf should be reverted. until then all snipers need to shut up about how tough their life is.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.