AIr to Air missles most worthless cert item

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by maudibe, Apr 2, 2014.

1. maudibe

I haven't used them much but in the dozen times ive used them i cant recall one hit ive got with them.
    I was chasing down a smokin ESF , get the lock , fire the missle and WTF? he notices the lock and turns on me and the missle shoots up in the air. I would have been better off using the nose gun.
    I was bearing down on a landed Lib and get the lock, fire the missle and it goes out and immediately shoots upp into the sky and i get killed by a ground lock on THAT ACTUALLY WORKS. I would have been better off using the nose gun. I have had trouble following and maintaining a lock and have repeatedly had missles end up shooting intto the sky instead of getting hits. Dont waste your certs. When the Ground lock on does that i log off and log on and it gets fixed but i didn't spend resources to use the ground lock on although i find it rediculous that the bugs in this game seem to be against infantry. I have never had a proble firing a tank round and have it go out and then straight up into the air, i cant hear the yelling now , it that was EVER the case. How many dalton rounds have been fired that ended up just going up into the sky?
  2. SnipersUnion

INB4 the word "FLARES"

Basically the targets are popping flares which will make your missile fail and shoot up into the sky. Wait until you see the enemy pop the flares which means they will have to wait before using them again before firing them. You also should be using the nose gun and switching between the two whilst reloading, one hit from a lock on will not kill anything from full health. ESF weapons reload even when switching to a second and then back to the first.

So to sum up, Learn the basics before complaining on the forum. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  3. Admiralty

It's not that they're broken - it's you not maintaining(keeping track of the ESF) the lock for the missile to reach its target. Keep in mind you can switch to your nosegun (and fire) and still maintain lock.

The reason why most G2A lockons don't fly up into the sky with the exception of the Striker is because they are fire-and-forget.

P.s. any lockon flies into the sky if your target uses flares.
    • Up x 3
  4. smokemaker

They didnt used to be, but the nerfers got to them.
    The whine was strong.
    • Up x 1
  5. Cougarbrit

I lol'd.
    • Up x 5
  6. Colinljx

The lolpod pilots don't want be interrupted while farming infantry, so they joined the nerfers, and now they want to nerf liberators because they got their ***** kicked out of their farm by libs, without realizing the nerf to A2AM is exactly what caused this.
    • Up x 4
  7. LibertyRevolution

Once they made them so you have to maintain lock, they pretty much suck.
    Only thing they are good for now is if you can get a few buddies to run them with you and just camp enemy warpgates with them.
    • Up x 1
  8. IamnotAmazing

wow you have to keep your aim on a target without leading, in a massive circle for two seconds? That sucks, I feel for you
    • Up x 4
  9. Tommyp2006

They work just fine for me. You just can't use them in a head to head dogfight. You have to know when to use them. They shoot up in the air because the enemy is using flares (getting rarer and rarer with more people running fire suppression) or you aren't maintaining the lock, which you could just do what I do and hit them with the nosegun while the missile is firing, which means you are both doing more damage, reloading the missiles, and maintaining the lock all at the same time.
  10. LibertyRevolution

They are lockons, why should I have to track, what made them awesome was they were fire and forget..
    They are trash now like striker.. if you have to maintain lock, they are not worth even using them.
    • Up x 3
  11. Planetdoge

Why don't you open dogfights with them instead of trying to close with the lock-on? Come up behind a slow and/or hovering enemy ESF, lock them, boom, missile takes down a huge chunk of their health, now you use your nose cannon while you have a health advantage.

Well, this is why I don't run anything but fuel pods on my ESFs nowadays. Even lolpods aren't cutting it for me.
  12. LibertyRevolution

Because then the missile lock warning lets your enemy know you are coming for them...
    Better off nose gun opening while you have stealth as your advantage over the hoverpoder.
    Then when they try and run smoking, hit them with a lockon.

Still better off running coyote..
  13. Planetdoge

Firing your nose gun also lets your enemy know you're coming for them. If they have flares then you're equally screwed trying to close with the missile as opening with the missile. Hitting them with the missile when they're already smoking seems redundant, though. Finishing them off with the nose gun seems like much less of a hassle. Opening with the missile, on the other hand, provides a tangible advantage if it hits.

And I have noticed a lot more people running Coyotes on Waterson since the sales weekend. It's a little bit annoying, but whatever. Makes no difference to me in the long run.
  14. TheStonehawk

Just run coyotes. They are so much easier to use and they work better for dogfighting. Leave the A2A alone.
  15. Angry Scientist

Coyotes are dogfighting missiles, used at close range. They hit reliably and powerfully. A2A lock ons are for alpha opening to get damage on an opponent before you jump them with the nose gun, hitting fleeing targets, or engaging unkillable liberator crews. Can also dent galaxies reliably.

Who'd have thought, they have upsides and downsides! Coyotes are useless at range, and A2A fails when the opponent gets in your face.
  16. minhalexus

A2A missiles are for noobs who have no skill.

I still think they are quite frustrating, but they are not underpowered neither are they overpowered.
    A2Am should not insure you a victory in a dogfight, if thats what you were hoping for.

Coyotes are for noobs too, but they at-least require some skill.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheStonehawk

Sooo...the only thing NOT for noobs is laser guided and rocketpods...

Uh huh...
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  18. isaidhi3

Air to air lock-ons are no longer track-to-target. They are fire and forget right now.
    • Up x 1
  19. Admiralty

No they're not, I specifically went in to the VR and also onto the live server to test this out. Even the weapon description says they are maintain to hit. As far as I can tell, they only made the system more lenient in the sense that even if your missile is in midair and your green box is flashing (i.e. not a solid lock) the missile still hits. If you fire at an opponent and jerk at a 50+ish angle then the missile loses tracking and you get no hitmarker.

This is easily seen by just firing off a missile then pressing MMB to go into cockpit freelook.
    • Up x 2
  20. minhalexus

Rocketpods do not help you a lot in A2A (vs ESFs), its a supplementary item if you want to have a hybrid ESF.
    If you are skilled enough to use rocketpods in an A2A fight and win, then that's skill i wont argue with that. (scythes have it slightly easier but it still requires decent skill)

Hornets are IMO just terrible.
    You can't really do much with them in the Air, unless you're going against a galaxy maybe.

In short why i think the A2Am are for noobs:-

In planetside 2, you usually require to lead a target to land shots, not follow it. A2Am just requires you to follow a target in a wide cone.
    Coyotes have it to some extent, but it requires some skill in general.