Welp.. Skyguards are useless now...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rhapsody, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Volccis

"Flak cannons dont destroy aircrafts in 5 seconds = must be underpowered"

Make a favor for all of us and stop playing Skyguard. Problem solved.
  2. Flying Mug

Bingo. The liberator is omnicidal compared with the skyguard. If you coordinate two skyguards, you have two guys who have collectively spent more resources than the lib crew on a dramatically more specialized vehicles which are likely to have less pay off and still cede the initiative to their supposed target to hang around long enough die.

At least one of those should not be true.
    • Up x 4
  3. NoctD

At one time yesterday, I think I saw no less than 5 Skyguards plus some AA turrets we had up around Saurva. That couldn't stop the NC air zerg, their Libs just kept running away for repairs and coming back.

It don't matter how much AA you have these days in one area, Libs are just unstoppable. They'll tank the damage, run away, repair, and keep hitting you till all your AA eventually gets killed. I saw various NC ESFs go down but the Lib losses were minimal.
  4. lawn gnome

LIES! pop a radar on that thing and watch the little infantry dance as they approach you. and while MBT will wreck your day other lightnings of all flavors can be killed by the skyguard cannon as long as you carefully maneuver and get a superior angle on them. if you want to handle ground targets learn to drive instead of camping and roshamboing the threats. even sunderers can readily be ripped apart by the skyguard cannon although the trick there is to keep a distance so that the majority of your shots still hit but you aren't taking the full close range damage of basilisks.
    MORE LIES!! my skyguard easily murders ESF as long as i can properly find the lead at any range, also i can and have soloed libs, but that is generally much less likely to happen. galaxies are just plain stubborn A-holes. i can keep a gal from hovering and dropping troops as a spawn point, but stopping a galaxy drop with my lone skyguard is pretty much impossible, also though if i could do that reliably then that would mean that one player can easily stop 12.
    more evil propaganda! usable only when a turret that can go 70kph can help you which is a large majority of the time. i follow invasion forces in to keep them from being strafed, i defend sunderers (i also use my radar to aid this and stop pesky ground troops of all flavors), to pull the pressure off of a base that is being suppressed by air while they are trying to defend, or any time i find the sky is sufficiently saturated with enemy air.

useful any time you want an enemy air force to go away. they hit several times harder than MAX flak.

you are right about the average numbers of skyguards on the field, most of the time i am alone although lately (at least on connery) the number of friendly skyguards seems to have gone up dramatically. i am now occasionally finding myself with groups of 3 or 4 of them.
    • Up x 1
  5. lawn gnome

if 5 skyguards can't drop a lib then those skyguards can't aim for crap.
  6. Chubzdoomer

If you were alone, you deserved to die. Liberators are large, heavily armored gunships with a lot of firepower, especially their Tank Buster noseguns and Daltons/Shredders. They're much more of a threat to you than you are to them, even in a Skyguard, so it only makes sense that a lone Skyguard would lose in a one-on-one battle. If you're looking to destroy aircraft by yourself, ESFs are what you should target because you can easily take those out long before they destroy you. In order for Skyguards to be really effective against Liberators, they need to be with other Skyguards and other players, period, that way you have Skyguards, burster MAXs, and lock-on launcher infantry all helping clear the skies. If a Liberator were to attempt to fly low and do what he did to you against a force like that, he'd probably be toast.
  7. Brandmon

Read posts before replying to them. None of what I said contradicts what you consequently stated.
  8. NoctD

They weren't all in the same spot, and there were multiple Libs in the air to shoot at. Simple point being that Libs can't be countered at this point by AA, not even as a deterrence, because they can tank enough damage and run/repair until all the AA is eliminated from the area.
  9. lawn gnome

if they were all in the same territory then my point still stands. if only 2 or 3 of them had line of fire that should have been enough. so they need to learn how to lead their targets and learn how to concentrate fire (so shoot at the lib that already has tracers flying at him)
  10. Killerdude8

EDIT: Wait, I misread that post lol.
  11. warmachine1

but max has 2

Noone will pay 1k certs for gun that is so situational & team-dependent when u can get pods or 1000 more effective things.
    Make it for 250 & u may see some more skyguards soon.
  12. Kapernum

How I picture every lonewolf self-entitled elitist skyguard scrub to be.

13. warmachine1

Technically speaking, vehicle mounted low-caliber weapons use shared ammo belts by today, why does the skyguard even need to reload?
  14. WildCatNL

Honestly dude,
    A single Lightning with Skyguard is and should not be THE hard counter for Liberators.
    Even if it gets buffed, what I doubt, it will remain the same, you can't solo them.

By only skimming through this topic, plenty of folks have pointed this out already.

The only way you can kill a Liberator effectively and quickly is with FOCUS FIRE and that's not something you do alone.

When I'm not piloting my Liberator, I'll be driving the Lightning with Skyguard, only difference I'm not doing it alone, both my bomber and now a days Tail Gunner will do the same, that is if we are facing an air problem to begin with.
  15. lawn gnome

he was incompetent. he drove around too much when he wasn't being threatened (ruining his aim), didn't approach nearly as much as he could have (again making the shots unnecessarily hard), held his fire too much, and at the end he ignored the targets that were actively attacking him. he did alright because scythes are precision engineered to maximize the amount of flak they soak up.
    because the only reason aircraft escape from me 90% of the time is me having to reload. if reloading were out of the equation i would probably double my number of aircraft kills.
  16. Shockwave44

Thanks for proving his point that skyguards are useless.
  17. Shockwave44

And when 2 MBTs roll up on those skyguards? Libs don't have that problem.
  18. lawn gnome

can a max go 70kph and follow the air battle while simultaneously firing? i don't know if all of the AA max suits i have seen are just poor shots or what, but i have NEVER seen a max keep up with the raw DPS of my skyguard at any range. i suppose if you get 3 to 4 of them they can do some damage, but 3 to 4 skyguards will do far more.

AA max suits are effectively deployable AA turrets because of how slow they are (they can go more places than the lightning though, so they serve a purpose), while skyguards can reposition and fire at a moments notice (which is really funny to do to aircraft that think they have moved out of your line of fire).
    • Up x 1
  19. lawn gnome

yes because 2 MBT require far more resources than 2 lightnings, AND also if the skyguards are paying attention they can easily evade any MBT if they want to, because they are narrower allowing them to squeeze through rough terrain more easily, better acceleration also aiding their ability to dash around corners, and a lower profile meaning they can seek cover in more places.

MBT only ever take out my skyguard when i have decided to stand my ground (like to cover an escaping sunderer or when i am just generally feeling surly), when i am hopelessly surrounded, or when they managed to properly ambush me from behind with multiple tanks. the majority of times when i do escape, i am pushed back, but it is still incredibly easy to maintain line of sight on aircraft that have any amount of altitude and if they are genuinely low enough that i can't get a line of sight then they are most likely easy targets for tank cannons and dumbfire rocket launchers.

skyguards die only because drivers camp too much and don't pay enough attention to their surroundings.
  20. dstock

What server? This sounds like the fight I was in last evening, lol.