New 4 man NS air vehicle Valkyrie revealed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Mar 22, 2014.

1. HadesR

As long as they don't allow repair from the rumble seats it should be cool ..
    • Up x 1
  2. sustainedfire

Anyone thinking Engineers repairing the Valkyrie while its flying is going to make it OP- You have to consider this is a fast attack vehicle. Its likely not going to have high DPS on its own, and probably require Heavies with rockets manning the rumble seats to get the most possible DPS out of the Valkyrie.

Engineer repair "on the fly" (get it?), can be toned down if necessary, as we saw with the harasser. Im quite certain the Valkyrie will not be OP, in fact I imagine people are going to be claiming its too weak.

I can think of countless ways to make an open passenger air vehicles life hell. Even an ESF equipped with the anti infantry nose gun will be very dangerous to the Valkyrie. Its going to knock out the passengers with splash damage, and cause damage to the Valkyrie at the same time.

Im not certain how flak explosions work against infantry, ive been in close proximity to a plane being flak attacked and received no damage. Though if that changes, anything flak based will easily get rid of a Valkyrie.

Im very interested in playing the Valkyrie, though I can see it being very challenging to use lethally, and require a crew that is very coordinated if it is going to put out any threatening amount of damage. And if that's the case, its going to be a great addition.
    • Up x 1
  3. sustainedfire

I wonder if a stealth fighter/transport would ever be added. Seems like it could be useful.

Though I would think its not likely to be added, it seems like it would mostly be a grief machine, strapped with a platoons worth of C4 and used to invisibly suicide crash into everything.
  4. HadesR

Well they kinda toned down the harasser by nerfing the whole vehicle into oblivion .. When a better fix would have been to totally remove the rumble seat repair .. It should be a fast / high dmg vehicle, but the durability it had due to both it's speed and the repair was to much ..

So I can imagine the Valkyrie either being OP in the same way the old harasser was .. or .. it being a total PoS that's not worth using..

I personally would prefer they balance it " before " release .. rather than nerf it into next year after ..
  5. BarxBaron

Best post in thread.
    • Up x 1
  6. sustainedfire

I agree I hope its a balanced addition from the start.

Though Engineers repairing on the fly seems like a vital addition. Valkyrie is a team based platform, and seems like it has the chance to give all classes and players of all skill levels something to contribute to being part of the crew. Engineers could repair, Medics could provide triage, Heavies could provide DPS, Snipers could Snipe, Light Assaults could...... Jump out mid air and land ontop an enemy Galaxy/Liberator and C4??

I think allowing repair is vital to the sucess of the Valkyrie, then even your least lethal outfit mate could provide some benefit to the crew and feel like they are being useful, while getting some small cert gain.

Teamplay for the win!
  7. biterwylie

I think unless this has 4 rumble seats it will be a waste of time putting in game. The Liberator allows you to drop your tail gunner already to capture a point, and has tons of firepower and is too much for a single ESF to challenge.

Having two rumble seats, one either side is literally worthless. The firepower a heavy can dish out is nothing compared to a bulldog for instance, and the nose cannon is not going to have the heavy hitting power of liberator weapons.

To me in its current format the vehicle seems useless. Just look at the Harrasser, never seen in game. it needed to be totally OP in order to make it worth using.

So in brief, it will be more vulnerable than a liberator to both ground and air, have way less firepower than a liberator, but have a space for one additional player (albeit with limited value while airborne)
  8. HadesR

Then it would need to be balanced around that repair and teamplay aspect ..

Ie: It's own weapon systems being weak with the potential for those in the rumble seats to make up the short fall .. Rather than it being strong + the rumble seats.
  9. NewSith

Does this mean the Liberator revamp will turn it into an actual bomber now that we have the proper chopper-like vehicle?
  10. Codex561

Ok now imagine 4 HAs with dumbfire rockets flying around to libs and insta killing em??
  11. biterwylie

I
    can't imagine this at all. Especially as to get into that range a liberator would kill it almost instantly with Shredder or Dalton. Not to mention how hard it would be to hit in the first place.
  12. biterwylie

Interesting thought.

If it is balanced based on needing heavies with lock On's (no other infantry weapons will be effective) or Engineers to repair then it is effectively limiting its use further.

I like the idea of having vehicle mounted secondaries on either side. To me that is the only way such a highly vulnerable vehicle could work. It will need to be able to dish out a good amount of ordinance to offset the fact it will be ESF food.

I think in PS2 the ability to transport an additional person is a worthless selling point since deployment is seconds away.
  13. iller

HE BURIED THE LEAD. --Endo of April, Implant system-- ...dun dun DUNNNN

ps:
    lol 2 reavers humping /w 2 BursterMaxes sandwiched in between .... this will either be way too good or hilariously bad
    (guess it all depends on whether it gets TankBuster/Drake/Coyotes/LolPods or not)
  14. HadesR

I do believe it should be balanced on the teamplay aspect .. Whether that's HA's with lock on's or Engies with AV turrets or vehicle mounted secondaries etc ..

I would like it as a way to promote that teamplay rather than it being very good solo and OP fully crewed .. Imo it should be meh when solo crewed and all it's strength coming from that teamplay ..

Just my opinion but I would even go as far as not allowing seat swapping unless it's landed .. Just to further promote that " Hey's it's a team vehicle ".
    • Up x 1
  15. JudgeNu

As an Engineer at heart id like to see it have the option for being a repair/ammo vehicle as well.
    Maybe sacrifice the 4! rumble seats for the repair/ammo.
    Giving the aircraft more versatility and attraction to a wider variety of players and playstyles.

Personally, I can fly and would get better in time, however, I find it difficult to fly and aim/shoot.
    I am sure I could with practice, but its not something I choose.
    I would be interested in flying the craft if it was repair/ammo equipped, but defending myself against A2A is difficult for me.
    Having an A2A gunner would make me feel more comfortable piloting the craft as I could just fly away from G2A.

The problem with balance imo is this.
    Equipping a vehicle to compete with a large amount of G2A/A2A leaves it a menace for when its just a handful of people who are against it.

I do not think it will allow for maxes/launchers to be used in rumble seats, and I don't think the C4 would be too much an issue.
  16. sustainedfire

I think by default it will be balanced around the repair and teamplay aspect.

When I saw the Valkyrie I was pretty excited- though im pretty content starved.... Then I mentioned it to my outfit mate who is a very decent Liberator pilot, telling them their is a new 4 air person aircraft being introduced and I nominate them as the outfit pilot.

They tabbed out and looked it up, came back and said "looks like it will be crap". They saw it as flawed- too easy to destroy and not very likely to put out reliably high dps. And I think they will be correct.

Though that does not prevent it from being entertaining, and giving outfits and squads more options for vehicular teamplay that allows each participating member to have an active role- and that ultimately should lead to fun moments.

I envision two light assault rumblers being dropped right ontop a galaxy and c4 bombing as they jump off spectacularly while it explodes. I can see moments where a heavy shoots a last ditch decimator into a pursuing lib as the engineer just barely repairs the last bit of HP back into the Valkarie. A sniper rumbler making an impossible shot while the Valkyrie is making evasive manuevers.

I think it has potential for fun, and much less potential of being over powered.
  17. sustainedfire

I think the rumble seat is even going to make an appearance in the ES Buggies.

I cannot wait to see the NC Pickup Truck Bed filled with hillbillies shooting their shotguns everywhere.
  18. HadesR

Hopefully you are right ..

Sadly for a lot of modern gamers OP = fun rather than having fun for fun's sake ..
  19. HadesR

Bit off topic ..

But I wonder how much influence the Helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now with Wagners Ride of the Valkyries had on the naming :p
    • Up x 1
  20. Kayth

I'm very dissapointed that the Valkyrie is going to be NS. There hasn't been a ES vehicle in a while and the number of ES vehicles currently is incredibly shadowed by NS vehicles. This really makes the game bland I think.

Also, I was an avid supporter of similar ideas in the suggestion forum, but also was really hoping for something designed more for transportation and small skirmishes with more seats, rather than these two rumble seats which will only be effective with certain classes.
    • Up x 2