Stock Lib now take THREE Titan-150 AP Rounds

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, Mar 14, 2014.

1. deggy

Tanks aren't APing aircraft to the point where a nerf is within reason.

What you're saying is that it shouldn't be necessary to aim AP guns at the sky. You're right. It shouldn't.

But that doesn't mean you should make it less effective to aim AP guns at the sky. I love ruining some skygod's day as he comes in low to lolpod or Dalton me.
    • Up x 1
  2. Latrodectus

And they would lie to about this because...why? What possible excuse could they come up with for nerfing anchor mode that would be less plausible than citing anti-aircraft performance? Blankly stating they're lying without providing a motive or even intention seems reckless at best.
  3. deggy

The patch notes that changed the Saron said it was "an overall buff" (it wasn't) and that "in terms of optimal DPS, its performance has increased" (it hasn't).
  4. Klypto

I don't believe that at all. In fact, I'm 100% against it.

It's like asking rocket launchers to not one hit kill infantry because they are designed to kill tanks. That is a horrible, horrible idea.

If people don't want to be killed by these things they should equip the counters such as flack armor just the same as libs should equip composite armor.

Tanks should be able to fire back at aircraft. That is their right and I am going to stand for it.

The part I'm not getting from you is why you think we pull AP to kill aircraft. I know that's not why I pull my tank.

When there's aircraft I want to kill, I go and pull my dual extended burster max, not my Vanguard. Could I kill them with a Vanguard? Maybe. Should I commit my 15-20 minute high cost tank just to kill that aircraft? No, that's crazy.

Why guys in my squad or outfit see a bunch of air, they don't say "Let's pull Vanguards and take on that air". No, they always say "lets pull skyguards".

It's not so much of malicious or intentional lies as it is pure omission, a complete disconnect, or blatant ignorance.

The aircraft thing just seemed like a convenient excuse as nowhere could you find people complaining about being knocked out of the sky by anchored prowlers. It's not something even a minority asked for.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sebastien

But they can.
    There's two historical accounts of tanks shooting down aircraft with their main guns.
  6. Niller

It would not work if they listened blindly to veteran tankers thoughts on this, I mean people want the game to be in their favor most of the time.

But otherwise yes, tanks does have it quite hard. They never really seem to be a problem for me when I play infantry, not as the ESFs/libs can be.
  7. Lucidius134

It's a video game
  8. Klypto

I of course would want to know what these are and am going to spend the next 20 minutes Googling it. xD

Edit:
    So a Sherman hit a Axis bomber and a tiger tank hit a Russian fighter.

It's not really relevant to the game, but still fun.
  9. Hatesphere

your right, it is. but its still not a good idea to balance the game in such a way that allows aircraft to fly around without having to care to much about AV guns arcs of fire. Its not like it was a real problem to start with and that libs were being routinely murdered by tanks.
    • Up x 1
  10. Sebastien

With some basis in reality.
    There's plausible, and then there's causing disbelief
    Guess which one the Liberator is
    • Up x 1
  11. CrashB111

You get a velocity increase when I get the ability to strafe.
  12. deggy

And the other crew members in those vehicles went deaf from the screams of "HOLY **** DID YOU SEE THAT WE TOTALLY NAILED THAT SHOT HOLY **** HOLY ****!!!!!!!" that came from the gunner :p
    • Up x 2
  13. Klypto

I don't get why the magrider having higher velocity or improvements to the main gun is such a big deal. I mean, it's fully hull locked with no ability to move.
    • Up x 1
  14. Hobo Jack

i'm fine with heat and explosive rounds taking 3-4 shots but an AP round to a lib should be a 1 or 2 shot kill and that honestly goes for vanguard/prowler/or magrider. i know the main argument for the pilots saying this is because multiple tanks are shelling them so with only a 2 round buffer they get alphad easy but that is a slippery slope argument at what point do you draw the line ? how hard should it be to take down a lib? yeah in very very large engagements like flying over a 48+vs48+ area it is hard to even be usefull without deing to something in a hurry but when you balence for that you then make them too stonk versus 12-20ish ground enemy's.

when the game first launched libs were made out of paper but had the most rediculous damage and splash damage now the damage and splash is toned down quite a bit but they have so much hitpoints and resistance that they are OP in another way. either tone down their damage to compensate or make them less tanky
  15. Klypto

So according to stats, Titan AP and P2 AP combined accounted for less than 3% of lib deaths.
  16. grazr

I don't have a problem with you shooting low flying aircraft i have a problem with the novice tank players ramming their tank up a verge and shooting into the sky and still 2 shotting libs.

Sure, have fun ruining a skygod's day, but reducing its affectiveness means they can only tickle bombers playing reasonable and still lay on severe suppression to the risky flying lib pilots. I'm sorry you're not getting your nice juicy reward for playing outside of your intended role, but if you want to be shooting aircraft then choose an AA loadout. I really can't see what's so difficult about that concept.

Lib pilots don't have a choice in protecting themselves from tanks except staying out of range where they can't hit anything either because no armour setup protects a lib against tank rounds as it wasn't anticipated tanks would be shooting them. That just seems like a really moot point to make "If libs don't want to get shot by tanks they should equip composite armour which offers no additional protection", wat. Just because you don't pull AP to counter air doesn't mean other people don't either. Have you even read some of the other comments in this thread? There are multiple occasions people have confessed they enjoy going AP specifically to take out libs; and my experience of flying a lib is that the most dangerous solo threat is some AP tank parked up a hill in an adjacent hex taking pot shots for 50% of my health; whilst other lib pilots are quite content rolling on up to a skygaurd and shooting it in its face because they know they can tank the damage.

I'm not sure how many times i'm gonna say this because i have never said a tank shouldn't be able to shoot and hit aircraft, i am just saying parking your AP tank up the side of a hill goes against the weapons versatility balance.

Well that's OK then. 2 aircraft have been recorded to be shot down with the main cannon of a tank therefor it should be standard practice in a video game.
  17. JudgeDeath

"True tanker" qq about the best tank cannon ingame.

http://2.bp.************/-scPTFuC7faE/UXmgHW48Y-I/AAAAAAAALMg/WJiqN83C-UY/s1600/1de8e7e2_NicolasCageLaugh.gif
  18. Harry Dresden

Since 02/02/2014 there has been 1184934 destroyed liberators across all factions.
    29016 were lost to AP rounds
    Titan-AP 12163
    P2-120 11836
    FPC 5017

That makes 2.45% liberators lost to AP rounds. I hardly see that as a justification for the change.
    • Up x 1
  19. Klypto

All tank cannons were nerfed. AP Prowlers & Vanguards took a hit but now it's next to impossible for a magrider to shoot one down.
    Composite armor will allow you to survive 1-2 additional Titan AP rounds. A 100% increase is a pretty significant difference as there is hardly anything in this game give you that much of an increase in TTK. If taking tank rounds is a problem in your experience from the way you fly you really should use it instead of stuff like NAR.
    • Up x 1
  20. Harry Dresden

And how does using an anti ground vehicle like the Dalton to farm infantry or take out ESFs affect versatility balance? According to most lib pilots if you can pull the shot off then it is pure skill regardless of the weapons intention?

I personally think its ok as it's a tricky shot to take but then I think the same thing about hitting a liberator with a tank round. The general liberator pilot argument for Dalton vs ESF is that you shouldn't be standing still long enough to be hit. I think the same rule applies to Liberators.

I know that someone said earlier that its much more fun to fly at low levels rather than sitting at the flight ceiling which is fair enough. From the grounds point of view however, its not a hell of a lot of fun to pull a skyguard, get 10 seconds of daka daka in and then sit there doing nothing when the aircraft wanders off to find a different fight.
    I think if the skyguard could be certed to change between rounds such as an AA and an AI round then it might be more fun, or maybe a vulcan type weapon that is not quite as effective against air (less damage or range) but able to be used against infantry. You still have to make the active choice of pulling a tank that can't do any tank damage but at least you get to be useful while waiting for another aircraft to arrive.

I like performing an AA role but I hate feeling useless in between.