Death Screen Feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by TorigomaSET, Mar 10, 2014.

1. jak

Just voicing disagreement with the implementation presented, man. It's not doom and gloom, just how I see a change that I feel negatively impacts the enjoyment some will experience. If you want doom and gloom, you should hear my thoughts on the quick knife...
    • Up x 2
  2. jak

Personally, I think if infantry find a way to continually kill you, you deserve to die. I agree with you that experienced players know where they died from generally; my point is there's a vast difference between that and giving experienced players a direct pointer to the killer.
    • Up x 1
  3. Reskan

Seems like this will only have a serious impact on long range weapons. I guess I have nothing to worry about since I play TR, and a majority of our weapons are designed to function in ranges between handshake and spitting distance. It won't matter if someones knows my position in those ranges anyhow, since I will likely be dead and gone before anybody can get their revenge.
  4. Higby Developer

I didn't specifically mean you, you've been very level-headed and I do appreciate the feedback and really do understand where it's coming from. We're going to be watching how it plays out and we will adjust if really does become a problem.
    • Up x 1
  5. Plunutsud pls

The biggest point here is that ever since this game came out in 2012, it's been perfectly fine without a death cam.

So this has clearly been brought up now in anticipation of the PS4 launch - which will obviously try to attract the consolized fps (aka CoD & BF4) community.

But they will not like Planetside 2 anyway.

This game is too complicated for them, they will just stick to CoD and BF4.

This death cam stunt will not change that.
    • Up x 6
  6. Amarsir

On a slightly different topic:

When I was learning the game I always read the descriptions of what killed me to learn the weapons better. And it bothered me that these descriptions say things like "quick reloading" but not what type of weapon it was. A lot of times I couldn't tell if shotgun, LMG, scout rifle, or whatever. So if you could always say the weapon type, that would have been appreciated.

And while you're on that - when it's an NS weapon why not explicitly mention that it's cross-faction? Experienced players know what NS means, but newbies don't. And I think if I got killed with a weapon, then found out it was available to me, I might be tempted to go buy it. So I'd consider saying

Orion
    Vanu Sovereignty Light Machine Gun

or

NS-44 Commissioner
    Cross-Faction Pistol
  7. Wobberjockey

i call naming rights on it being called the "SkillCam"
  8. Ronin Oni

Higby Decal :D
  9. Silvermyst

I really hope by "adjust" you mean "scrap".

I joined Planetside 2 a little over a year ago, and one of the first things I did was switch to NC from TR so I could get access to a bolt-action sniper. I certed up till I could get a 12x zoom for it, then spend 15 minutes flanking around the enemies position. After finding a good spot I started firing into the rear of the enemy lines with my rifle, needing to aim approximately 1-2 feet above their heads because I was out at maximum render distance.

The main defense I had while I was there was my stealth, specifically that my enemies didn't know where I was as long as I headshotted them. When I got chest shots I would freak out a little, because I was scared that some vindictive player would start counter sniping or try to come and find me. One did, and I constantly had to deal with him in between carefully dropping enemies. I managed to use an entire clip, run to a nearby empty base, hack a terminal to resupply, then return to my sniping position. I ran through most of that clip before the battle lines moved.

The point of my story, is that when I was something like battle rank 5-10 I got a kill streak of 25+ kills. I didn't get it because I was being "cheap" IMHO, instead it took a lot of time, a lot of work and a lot of skill and patience to pull it off. This experience is what "brought the magic" to Planetside 2 for me and said that it wasn't just a game, it was a well thought out work of art.

If bullet drop wasn't present I wouldn't have continued playing. If kill cams were present I wouldn't have continued playing. If I hadn't continued playing I wouldn't have gotten my best RL friend and my brother to start playing, and I wouldn't have suggested it to a number of other RL friends (I don't know if these other friends got around to trying it) If kill cams, or even minimap kill directions were present you would have had at least 3 less players for the last year, maybe more just from the effect it would have had on me.

When nanoweave became really popular because of it's ability to stop snipers it really took away from the Planetside experience for me. I left and didn't play for a few months. Recently I came back, as I found out that you readjusted the nanoweave stats and let bolt-action snipers always OHK with headshots again.

As far as I'm concerned kill cams and kill directions are going to do the same thing again. If they're implemented I'll give it a go, but if I notice a significant change in gameplay from it I'll likely leave again, and check back every 3-4 months to see it's been removed.

Finally, this might seem a little over the top to some people, like if I'm trying to be a drama queen or something, but I'm not joking around about this. I think it very well might kill Planetside 2 for me.
    • Up x 3
  10. notyourbuddy

The experience for new players is really chaotic. So much to learn... not only weapons but also where to go and what to do. Expecting them to have great situational awareness right off the bat is probably asking too much so I think some indicator makes sense.

And considering some of the, lets call them jerk-weapons, that currently exist a 15 degree arc honestly might not be enough. (I'm mostly thinking about the AV MANA turrets with their extreme range, bolt action sniper users that insta-appear/disappear, and the fact that tank rounds, daltons, and AV Phalanx have a bad habit of simply not rendering beyond certain ranges.)

So I'd go ahead and give the BR1-10 players that pinpoint line you currently have showing the exact location, distance, and altitude of their killer to help them learn. Then slowly ween them off it. Give BR11's the narrow 15 degree arc and slowly widen the arc (and give less and less precise range/altitude info as they rank) so that by the time they are BR20 both are completely gone.

Noobs are happy. Vets are happy. Win-Win?
    • Up x 1
  11. jak

Cool, thanks for listening.
  12. Mastachief

So what you are saying here is that you are going to implement it anyway. Ignoring your own roadmap downvotes, this thread and the reddit ****storm. Based on so called experts telling you its the right system for the game? Are these experts working for the ps4 marketing team? Or are these the same experts that we find on streams that cannot find the vehicle spawn teleporters in the bases they designed?

Your experts in planetside 2 are the players.

I love SOE's approach to community relations and maybe that should continue here, listen to your customers while you still have them.

I may come across as a complete tool but i hate the dumbing down of challenging games and this is dumbing down there is no argument you can make that proves otherwise
    • Up x 9
  13. ZephyrBurst

In seeing this 'minimap line' in action, Higby is right, it has no extra information that isn't already available now. It does make it easier to tell the direction and remember it since it's shown for however long you want, but this doesn't really feel that game breaking. The good snipers move around a lot, as do LAs who get into good positions. Heck, anyone who's flanking tend to move around. As soon as you kill someone, they 'should' know what direction you came from anyway. From there (and with this line) it's still a guessing game of where in that direction the killer actually is.

I'm still in favor of keeping it only for people with a low BR, but this isn't game-breaking at all and has much less effect than I thought it would.

This has nothing to do with the PS4 launch, it's about seeing if it will help new players and the game itself.

Higby has stated several times that they'll be monitoring this to see what effect it has and will adjust it as needed.

Don't forget that the devs also play this game, and quite a lot of it.
  14. Revanmug

Yeah, "watching how it plays".... Yeah... And how are you going to do that? Is you team actually going to play the game in a more serious way to understand the actual mechanic rather than just looking at stats? *chuckle* If I were to look how your team balance things, I would say no...

Just admit it right off the bat that it's not going away even though a large number of people were/are against it. It would be much simpler for everybody. Force it down our throat and let's be done with it.

Now, I'm really wondering what is next in the grand scheme of broadening the demographic. There are soo many mechanic that are too hard to understand and teaching people how they work is way too much trouble. It's always better to just remove them altogether. That's how you make more mone... huh interesting games!
    • Up x 1
  15. Maelthra

Now I'm having flashbacks of Mechwarrior Online and how the devs forced third-person view into the game despite the fact that they not only promised at one point that they wouldn't (not implying that SOE ever did something similar in regards to this "deathcam"), but still did so despite the fact that the forum community was almost unanimously and very passionately (that's putting it lightly) opposed to it. Funny enough, they said they did it to help draw in and retain new players.

The feedback thread the devs put up about it after implementing third person anyway reached at least 10,000 posts. I think it may have even went over 20,000, but I don't quite remember.
    • Up x 1
  16. Phyr

I completely disagree with the Decimator resistance change. Hitting a flying vehicle with it should be one of the most rewarding things possible.
    • Up x 2
  17. Plunutsud pls

This game has been out since 2012.

It's safe to say that pretty much everyone who wanted to try this game on PC has already tried it.

The new players are obviously the PS4 players.
  18. Silvermyst

We've all been here, and we've all recovered from it. I liked the chaos when I joined, as the steep learning curve promised good depth of game-play to come

I'm still not happy, I think that you'll have the serious but inconsiderate high level outfits maintaining low level "death recon warriors" so they can spot distant snipers, etc with ease. whenever these characters get too high of a level they can just be deleted and recreated. Rejoin you're outfit, pick a medic, run out and revive your allies which where killed, then stand there until you die so that you know exactly what's going on.

Also, I don't think that giving noobs a crutch up and then removing it is a good idea. If you start to rely on the mini map on death to spot enemies, it'll be harder to develop situational awareness afterwards. And even if you can develop awareness afterwards you might feel "ripped off" in that one of the tools you had available is suddenly missing. I think a system that gives it and removes it will increase "newish" player attrition rates and slowly drop the games population.

PS: hope I'm not coming across to strongly. I'm not upset at you and don't think your opinion is "bad" per se, I just disagree with it and quite passionately wouldn't like to see this game go in this direction.
  19. Silvermyst

Ah, that could be misinterpreted too, "this direction" pertains to the mini-map kill direction in general, not specifically your post notyourbuddy.
  20. Spectre 694

8 pages ? eugh TL;DR

This change doesn't eliminate flanking... it ENFORCES flanking.