Death Screen Feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by TorigomaSET, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Wezdor

By adding in something like this killcam you dont just risk losing new players anymore (which will still quit as this is not going to be particularly helpful to them anyway) but you also run a very real risk of losing a large amount of the current players you do have.

I know i personally (along with many, many others) have a big problem with something like this being added at all. If you are adding it for new players, then add it only for new players, disable after a certain BR and don't let this run among the higher ones. It will ruin the game.
    • Up x 4
  2. Coffee Hound

Sorry for the positive feedback, but I like this idea (although I haven't actually tried it yet on PTS). It would have helped me a lot when I first started playing. Now, I just like viewing interesting data.... let me click though my killer's loadout and see what attachments he used on that weapon that put me down... let me see what armor he used to survive with a sliver of health and kill me. Tell me how many times he killed me, or how long he has been playing. Give me the name of his camo so I can buy it if I like it... the more data the better!!
  3. Wobberjockey

oh, MOST of the screen is fine.

it's the fact that they do everything but set your personal waypoint to your killers location that everyone is up in arms about
    • Up x 3
  4. Higby Developer

Assuming that sniper wasn't spotted by an enemy player already (thus completely revealing their position to all friendly players in the area living or dead) that's exactly what they will have with this change. A rough direction from which they were killed. If they were spotted when you died, you will see their position displayed.

Many of you guys are saying it's easy to tell you're being shot at and from where already, and good players will certainly figure it out and hunt you down already. But at the same time somehow that information is going to TOTALLY DESTROY entire playstyles at if it doesn't require a Ph.D in situational awareness to figure out. I understand and cede the point that this will provide the already good players with more concrete information about where their killer was, but once you know how to play well enough to read the situation, don't you already know that you got killed by a sniper on that hill? If he were spotted, you'd probably know exactly his position without the minimap on the kill screen, if he weren't you'd know exactly his general direction without the minimap on the kill screen. So really, advanced players already have all this.

To those of you saying "This is going to screw up my ability to relentlessly farm noobs who don't know how the game works yet", you're right. Sorry, but that's the point.
    • Up x 19
  5. LIKE A BOSS!

If its only suppose to be for new players than it won't work for anybody above BR 15 right?
    • Up x 3
  6. Coffee Hound

But by the time I respawn and run back to my old location, my killers former location is old data anyway. I think veterans will even use it to farm another kill from a newbie that runs to their former location. I don't really see why it's such a big deal.
  7. smokemaker

Every bit of this idea is bad. EVERY bit of it.

Its bad for gamers, its bad for the game.

BUT

if it must be , then i vote it terminates after a certain level.

Enough with making stupid gamers even dumber.
    • Up x 2
  8. NinjaTurtle

No most players have this advanced or not, I consider myself an average player and I have a basic awareness of how I died and where the person was or sis likely to be, there is already enough information in the game to help track down a player.

You don't need to crutch players in an attempt to make the game easier, that is not the way new players should learn because they will not get better having their hands held.

The feedback on this issue is unanimous in it's negativity. You make a big deal about listening to community feedback... well the feedback is clear on this issue
    • Up x 6
  9. smokemaker

Prove it by having this BS ability terminate at a certain BR level.... if the higher up levels dont NEED it, then remove it from them.
    • Up x 1
  10. Inex

You're right. They'll simply leave.
    To quote myself:
    So no, the feedback isn't unanimously negative. In fact, it's the volume of negative feedback that got this feature put on the roadmap in the first place.
  11. Fleischwolf

I don't mind adapting any tactics (if at all) to make it easier for new players. Besides, not every new player is communicating to one another at all times. I don't see this death screen change as being too problematic.

Overall, good changes ahead.
  12. jak

Red - I completely disagree. People that are detected via sensor darts, deployed sensor, and scout radar all appear on the minimap, so you're taking the confusion of large scale battle out of the equation by showing the person where the guy that killed you was. That penalizes the person that worked for that position and rewards the person that got killed by giving him a free run at the guy. There's a vast difference between spotting a guy and relying on those around you to see that threat and react to giving people that DID NOT NOTICE the spot a free tool to overcome their complete lack of situational awareness.

Blue - I respect the idea of giving new players tools that help them figure the game out. I want more players; I think we all do. But can't you see that the implementation *if it exists for experienced players* is detrimental to those that are existing players? If you were to tell me this would be restricted to BR10 - 15, I would have zero problems with it. Good players on new characters are going to out level that quickly. New players probably won't be able to gank me, so no big deal. However, if you're telling me this should be available to all players all of the time, I can't see how this adds anything but more frustration for veteran players. We don't want to farm new players - we want to play a game that doesn't completely mitigate the skills we've learned through our months-year+ of playing the game.
    • Up x 4
  13. NinjaTurtle

So because people are bad they need all the help they can get?

Where does the crutch end?

Where does learning through trial and error end?

Damn if humanity never persevered and learnt from mistakes and improved upon them the next time we'd still be living in caves
    • Up x 2
  14. GoyoElGringo

Thank you! You've said exactly what I wanted to say.

This will help people who are getting farmed more than anything, and while the forumside community likes to snub it's nose at farming on here, they also like to do it. As was already said, experienced players already know where they are getting shot from. Hell, I'm not even that experienced and it's very rare for me to not have an idea of where I was shot from when I died. It sickens me to see people that know all the good hiding spots endlessly farming clueless noobs.

If you're experienced at a game, your advantage should come from situational awareness, good reaction times, an understanding of which weapon is best for which scenario, and from good aim. You're advantage shouldn't be that you know of a spot where no one thinks to look, that's just lame. And what's worse is you have guys who have all the skills I mentioned, but are also using those things with a good hiding spot to rack up kill streaks. You'd think this game is all about shooting clueless people in the back, if you watch some of the killstreak videos.

It's funny how camping has become such a respectable play style. It used to be loathed by everyone, back when skill was determined by how good you were head-to-head, not KDR.
  15. jak

The irony of your post is what this will mean those average players that were able to use positioning to gain an upper hand on more skilled players. I think it's very shortsighted to claim this is about farming (for a lot of us it isn't) because it really means less skilled players are going to be hunted down and destroyed more often. I've had people that I could flat out dominate head to head kill me 3 times in a row before I could figure out where they were - they deserved the kills because they got the jump on me. How do you think this is going to work out for them now that I'll know exactly where they were and where they could be given respawn time and the distance they could possibly travel?
    • Up x 1
  16. Higby Developer

Again, if they weren't spotted when they killed you, you'll have about the same information as you have today from the damage direction indicator on the HUD: a rough directional indication.
    • Up x 4
  17. o.Solei.o

This post is full of win. I wish to see more of this!
    • Up x 2
  18. GoyoElGringo

I have to wonder if you actually read anything I wrote.
  19. jak

Again, you kill a guy that didn't notice you on the minimap...so he should have rights to even more information about your exact position. That's what you're telling me...

I appreciate the concept, I really do. But, man, I think you overestimate the abilities of most players (including high level ones) regarding their interpretations of HUD feedback. I think if you cut it off at even BR20, you'd have a winner most people would support. But giving my fellow BR100s this...that's rough.
  20. jak

I read it all twice. Doesn't affect how I feel about my response...