C4 - Overused and needs to be toned down

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ancalagon, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ancalagon

Every single fight I am in there are people chugging C4 around corners or over walls. C4 is literally become the new handgrenade and it's being overused so badly it has become nearly mandatory to always carry C4 around.

Having a Sunderer without blockade armor is 100% pointless since it will be blown up in minutes by people suiciding in on ATV's or just using drifter packs to safely drop C4 from 100m above.

Why does every class except infil (which is the one that should have had it anyways) have access to C4?
    Do we really need a 2nd short range hand grenade?

Sure, everyone thinks it's fun to get 4 kills in one big bang... but do we really need this excessive amount of C4 on top of all the rocketlauncher, MAX AV and assorted vehicle explosives happening already?

The C4 needs to be toned down. Either by allowing only 1 C4 to be carried just like the grenades (cause that is what the majority of people use them for anyways, increase the cost of purchasing them or reduce the amount of classes that can use them.

The way it is right now in the game is nothing short of silly.

And yeah I know, some people will go "Oh, but I need 2 C4's to take out vehicles with my Light Assault"... seriously, a single soldier instant-killing a tank is in itself completely wrong. It takes multiple ANTI-tank rounds fired from a tank to even kill it... or multiple rocket launcher and/or anti-vehicle turret hits to kill a tank...

... and some lone wolf with two packs of C4 should be able to just fly around and solo tanks?

Taking out vehicles is a team effort in a team based game, which Planetside 2 happens to be.

Tone down the C4 already.
    • Up x 27
  2. AltF4Fun

C4 to infiltrators.Prepare for invisible Explosionside 2 were you dont see your oponents and **** blows up left and right.If we are at it how about some shotguns for them.And give them durability of a max.This is the first C4 is op thread Ive seen.Guess its a first time for everything.Also would have never thought we would see flashlight op thread.This is hilarious.
    • Up x 22
  3. LIKE A BOSS!

C4 is perfect at its current state. Before the last patch c4 used to be a bullet brick with 0 splash. If your wearing flak c4 isnt even a problem.
    • Up x 10
  4. The Rogue Wolf

For every time "some lone wolf" manages to destroy a vehicle that way, there's two dozen times he's spotted and obliterated without any chance of survival. And proximity radar/third-person camera give tank drivers an extra edge.
    • Up x 41
  5. M2_Bradley

Oh yeah.C4 OP.I almost believed you.
    • Up x 4
  6. Phyr

So you think the counter to C4 is more C4? I don't follow you. You say that because other people are using C4, you need to have C4.

o_O
    • Up x 1
  7. LibertyRevolution

Grenades suck, they should kill a whole room of people, instead all they get me is assists if I'm lucky..
    So I feel forced to use C4 as grenades.

The only way grenades are effective is if you have bandoleer on and toss 3, and at that price ill just toss a brick of c4 its quicker.
    • Up x 5
  8. Clay

c4 is not OP, its just perfect as it is.
    • Up x 4
  9. MongooseTwoFive

The main problem I have with that is the C4 dude suffers no consequence for dying, whereas the victim of his kamikaze run has just lost their tank, sunderer, max, etc...
    • Up x 1
  10. LibertyRevolution

We do suffer, we toss a lot of blocks of c4 that go wasted. so -100 or -200 resources and +1 death..
    • Up x 4
  11. Phyr

The C4 guy lost time, and sometimes resources. It can take a long time to sneak up on tanks.
    • Up x 1
  12. Elrobochanco

Flak armor and blockade armor. Beyond that you know you need to defend a sunderer right? You can't just park it and walk away. A full blockade sundy takes a serious beating, to the tune that a single engineer respawning can out repair two respawning suicide LA assuming they die each attempt.

But really this whole thread went off rails as soon as you suggested that C4 is bad....but that having a class that can go invisible lacking it is a problem.

What specific issue were you hoping to be resolved? Tanks lasting longer? Needing less attention for defense? I don't understand the intended change.
    • Up x 2
  13. LIKE A BOSS!

I lost 200 resources and a life. It does have a cost.
    • Up x 8
  14. Regpuppy

The problem with C4 is that, like all infantry explosives, you can stack 40 of them in downtime and store thousands of infantry resources that way. I've never personally ran out of any type of explosive entirely before having downtime to restock to full.
    • Up x 3
  15. iller

It was a constant topic actually when it used to be Bugged so that it could be placed against walls and corners in a way that its explosion went though not only the geometry, but THROUGH SPAWN SHIELDS TOO

I made a thread 9 months ago about how it was being overused against Infantry in a way that exploited Interpolation/Latency and people didn't understand what that meant so they just bombarded the thread with Learn to Play bull ****. I just laughed at how many people didn't understand what the Netcode was actually doing at the time (but apparently SOE wasn't laughing, they sorta fixed it)

Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot to login today and AFK for a few hours to stock up! :eek:
    • Up x 2
  16. Angry Scientist

The issue is less that C4 is effective, but that there is nothing else to truly take. Your options are med kits or C4 as any class but the engineer or infiltrator, and the latter doesn't have the choice of C4 at all.

Why would a light assault take anything but C4? A med kit might keep him trucking, but you can use it on all targets. Medics have no reason to take med kits, they can heal themselves.

The only class that has a 'choice' is the engineer, and they have access to mines. But still, a situational might not get a kill mine, or a slightly more expensive directly controlled effective against all targets utility? Which is the obvious choice?

The solution isn't to nerf C4 into the ground but to fill out infantry consumable options. Answer the question 'What do I have to lose?' by taking C4. Opportunity costs and all that. Then we can see about tweaking C4 against most targets.

Although I do agree it's silly that it instantly kills most vehicles, people will hound you for blood if you so much as suggest a nerf. As you see, more people rush to declare a poster 'bad' on the forums and to 'git gud' then spend time doing more productive things, like seeing the sun.
    • Up x 2
  17. Devrailis

C4 is great.

It punishes tankers who sit still 300 meters away from a fight and force their gunners to watch the scenery.

I wish people could carry more C4 than they do now.
    • Up x 12
  18. AltF4Fun

That was more of a bug issue and not a legit C4 is op thread.THis is just on a whole other level.
    • Up x 1
  19. lothbrook

The problem is that C4 is useable on every class, except infiltrator, should be locked to engineers and heavy assaults.
    • Up x 6
  20. deggy

Prepare to be flamed by the Light Assault community.

Being above something is apparently an excuse to be able to kill it instantly with zero chance to retaliate.
    • Up x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.