Stuttering & 1-2 second freeze frame potential fix

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Higby, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Burning Mustache

I'm getting the microfreezes and I'm running the game off an SSD, also have the pagefile on the same SSD (and Windows itself, obviously).
  2. Octiceps

OK so the freezes aren't due to I/O bottleneck then.
  3. Kwyjibo

I was getting this when I died and it went to the map. Setting UseFences=0 did not fix it. Not a huge deal though, the game definitely CTDs less since the update. It used to do the stutter on respawn and then crash a second later. Not it just crashed at random, but it's much less frequent.
  4. Burning Mustache

To be fair, it certainly feels like a data loading / streaming issue, but it's weird because obviously that shouldn't happen with an SSD and it never did happen for me before the ESF patch (or possibly the patch right after that, I can't narrow it down exactly).

A friend of mine with the same exact PC as mine except an ATI gfx card and a different SSD has had the same experience.
  5. Bullborn

Have this problem too.
    i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz
    32gb 1866mhz ram
    Titan GTX 6gb (tested with both 334.89 and 332.21 drivers)
    580 GTX dedicated to physx (although PS2 still has that disabled :( )
    Planetside 2 is installed on a SSD

Seems to happen more often when flying, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with loading/purging textures/data.

Tried the UseFences=0 but it still seems to happen. Would be nice to know what that is supposed to do exactly though.

Client also crashes after several hours (faster if you switch continents often). Which seems to be related to memory usage and failing to free it up. Seems to crash less after Amerish update, but that could just be because I don't switch continents. :D
    Can't wait for that 64 bit client...
  6. Octiceps

It definitely happens more often when flying and the freezes are longer in duration.

Can't wait for 64-bit client and also DX11. ;)
  7. CptCosmo

Did not help, if anything made it more frequent.
  8. Octiceps

Been testing for the last couple days and the difference with this setting is imperceptible. However, I will say that since the big Amerish update/PU03, my overall performance has improved considerably. Average and minimum FPS are both up and most importantly, these split-second freezes have been reduced in both number and severity, although they are definitely still present. The game really feels a lot smoother now, especially during heavy fighting. For me, performance is finally back to pre-O:MFG levels if not slightly better. I'm one of those people whose performance was negatively affected by O:MFG in a big way. But I digress...

Anyway, I can't help but feel as though these stutters are somehow related to spikes caused by the still-bloated UI. Turning off the HUD while playing not only nets me an instant 10-20 FPS gain but almost completely eliminates the freezes. The difference is most striking when flying ESF, which is typically where I am most affected by the stuttering. I know the entire UI has seen a major revamp to cut down on resource overhead, but it's still not where it needs to be if it's still affecting performance and gameplay by this much. Oh, it's a beautiful UI for sure, probably the best-looking one I've seen in any game thus far, but I'm sure more than a few of us would happily trade a more barebones appearance for better in-game performance. Or at least give us the option to switch between a faster minimalistic UI or a slower fancier one.
    • Up x 1
  9. Murderer

I started my client this evening and it started downloading something!!! Too bad it wasn't a fix :-/
  10. Bullborn

I've been playing with UseFences=0 on for a few days now and I can confirm it still happens. No change as far as I can tell.
  11. biterwylie

I hope this gets fixed soon. Flying sucks now.
  12. StoneC

Hello

I have this problem also.

Framerate is usually around 50-70 in heavily populated areas and steady 80 in low'ishly populated (framerate limited to 80). Randomly fps will drop to 0 for a second and then will come back up. No such problems in other games. Game is on a SSD drive.

PC specs:

i5 2500K @ 4.0 Ghz
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
    Samsung 830 SSD
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
    Asus Xonar D1
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950 WindForce3X 3GB
    Ocz ModXstream 700W PSU
    Benq Xl2420T 120hz 1920x1080
    Windows 8.1 64bit
  13. Gammit

This suggested fix helped me. Although the game did crash once after implementing the fix, which it rarely to never does anymore.

i7 920 oc to 4.0 GHz
    6 GB RAM
    2x 560 Ti in SLI w/ latest official drivers
    game on SSD
    Win 7 64-bit Pro
  14. Murderer

Is there new audio in the game now as well? My speakers crackle all the time in game now.
  15. Murderer

Is this a problem that is a result of Obamacare? Also, I know this is far fetched, but could we get some type of old school text-based adventure game with planetside lore to play until the game gets fixed? Playing dress up Harry Potter LARPing is starting to get a little old in hopes that the "hitching" issue will disappear or not.
  16. f0d

i have this problem and the ini change did nothing as far as i can tell
    still hitches every now and again
    16gb ram
    5ghz 3930k
    ps2 is on a seperate ssd to my main one (840evo)
    gtx670@1250mhz
    331.40 nvidia driver

imo this is a MAJOR issue and its the most annoying thing in ps2 atm
  17. Lazaruz

I have noticed this as well. This continues to be an issue for me and many others that I play with.

UseFences did nothing for me...
  18. Norington

I am on low-end system (for PS2 anyways), running on low settings, and usually play long sessions (4-5 hours). One thing I always notice is that the stuttering starts with an occasional microfreeze (no big deal), but the longer I play the worse it gets. Also, swapping continents makes it worse. Usually, after playing about 3 hours and having done a continent swap or two, it gets to a really annoying level where flying is simply impossible, and when I'm driving the outfit sundy people start panicking because of all the lag. When I stay in the same region for a while it becomes playable again.

Also, the longer I have played, the longer it takes for my PC to 'recover' from running PS2. With that I mean, stop loading, stop having constant HDD activity, and be responsive again.

Is it too simple to say that this is a clear case of memory leak? And it maybe not causing but at least affecting the stuttering, making me think it does have to do with memory usage/allocation. Also it makes me hope that the 64-bit client will fix it for me, although knowing SOE now, it might as well make things a lot worse... :p
  19. SirJMD

Highby on the OFFICIAL forums? Hahaha... He only cares about reddit and twitter.
  20. SSouljah

Just going to concur with a lot of people here. This game was running great after the OMFG patches, then a PS2 update compiled with a NVidia update proceed to destroy any game playing ability. So I reroll the drivers back and yes, that fixes a lot of the FPS issues, I use the recommended .ini changes to no affect. The game now runs just fine, unless I'm flying. I can't fly when I feel like I'm glitching all over the place, I don't crash, but flying is not possible. This is a MAJOR issue, yet I hear almost no one talking about it which worries me that there is no near-future fix.