What is the the striker suppose to do now??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LT_Latency, Feb 15, 2014.

1. LT_Latency

The launcher just seems worthless now.

Against planes that can usually get out of range before all 5 rockets hit. The amount of time you have to spend tracking them you could have fired another rocket with the annihilator.

Against long range ground vehicles the extra lock and and travel time could be used to reload the annihilator.

At medium and shorter any half decent tank driver will shoot you with you are guiding the rockets in, You have to stay in the open way to long.

The gun feels like crap in every situation now. So what is it's niche anyone know??
    • Up x 15
  2. Epic High Five

Okay now I feel old
    • Up x 9
  3. Riku

They're not supposed to be an upgrade, but a niche weapon. Striker in particular is very effective against liberators. Obviously, dedicated g2a launcher is better. As you correctly pointed out, it is mostly ineffective against moving esf. But then again, very effective to bust the hover fight party in the sky.

R.
    • Up x 4
  4. RJGatling

You can tell me, I'm a doctor. Seriously though, the striker isn't as bad as people are claiming it is. Sit next to either a burster max or somebody with a grounder/annihilator and you'll get mad killz brah. I just died a little for typing like that.
  5. Dan_Killian

Well, for one, it provides easy xp for enemy snipers since you have to stay exposed for so long (lock on time + 5 missile travel time) and for two, utter frustration when you are locked on, your missiles are flying, and your big to hits a pebble causing you to "jump" bringing you out of ADS making your missiles reach for the stars...

However, in all reality, the only use is for coordinated groups (with medics) to decimate enemy armor and air.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ned

When your prowler busts a tire you put it underneath and use it to prop it up while you change said tire.
    • Up x 16
  7. LT_Latency

It's not even equal though. At least the other factions have some different functionality.

The extra functionality of the striker is you are WAY easier to be killed will using it. Do to the length of time it takes to lock on, shoot your missile then guide them in.

You basically shoot a giant stream of "I am over here kill me, while you wait for your rockets to get there." When you could have locked on quick with the annihilator and started reloading your next shot from safety
    • Up x 2
  8. Vikingo

I disagree, I have the same amount of kills with it on my BR 20 TR that I do on my BR 78 NC NS Annihalator. The Striker still kills quite effectively, though it has the same liability as the Pheonix and Lancer charge up, they all basically make you sniper food.

Cant argue against that.
  9. doombro

It's there to make life easier for NC and VS snipers while simultaneously providing a poor alternative for the annihilator
    • Up x 7
  10. jettblakk

the only times the Striker is any good is against slow moving air and armor column traffic jams.
  11. CrashB111

This coming from the faction whose launcher is anti-material rifle with unlimited range and no lock warnings.

The Striker is a downgrade now, the Annihilator is better in every situation except if you stand next to your target and shoot into their side while they politely make no attempts to move into cover or kill you.
    • Up x 6
  12. Metallic123

13. lyravega

Check sig for Striker vs Annihilator.
  14. Goden

Striker is better for ground targets, Annilhator is better for air targets.

The Striker can put some serious hurt on a tank with just one magazine but the Annihilator really leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to vehicle damage.
  15. RJGatling

Often, I only get the chance for one salvo of strikers or one grounder/annihilator. In that case the striker is superior.
  16. Pootisman

How many striker rockets do you need to kill a tank? 20? 30? One engi can repair the tank faster than you can do damage with the striker. Striker is completely useless now. You are giving the enemy a free kill when you use it. (You are a sitting duck because you have to keep lock until all 5 rockets hit.)
    • Up x 6
  17. Aractain

in the situations where you get one salvo of Striker if there is 2 seconds more time window you get more damage from the annihilator. If its 2 seconds less and the Annihilator is also better (and harder to disrupt by killing the user).

If you carry a striker for situations where you have exactly 8 seconds and no more or less then... okay, grats I guess?

Everyone else would probably like a fun weapon though.
    The Phx is fun, even when solo I like using it to support front line troops by hitting MAXs, turrets (1 shot engys) and any vehicles as well as damaging infantry for the assists.
    Lancer is like a sniper rifle for tanks and gives even a solo player the ability to help other troops from further back or from a distant flank.
    • Up x 2
  18. LT_Latency

The problem is any good tank driver is going to kill you. What happens against tanks at medium and short range.

You fire rockets at it, The tank starts getting hit. The tank turns it's turret and sees a bright red line pointing out you positionand returns fire killing you make it useless at these ranges.

At long range you lose DPS thanks to the travel time where you are not reloading.

The phoniex at least goes around corners which lets it hit things you can't see and it can shoot infantry. That makes it special.

I never play VS so I don't know about their gun.
    • Up x 2
  19. axiom537

The striker is a fantastic finisher or used in groups, because of its extra burst damage. The issue with it is it is a lock-on launcher, which are difficult to balance, because of the nature of lock-on launchers and you just can't give one empire a better lock-on launcher then what the other empires have available. The striker is now a niche rocket launcher, just like the Phoenix and the Lancer.
  20. LT_Latency

But know one uses it. Because it's crap alone.

You know every single TR has one from when it was too strong but you will never see one being shot anymore. It's just a worse version of the Anilator now, because when you die your DPS goes way down.

They need to revamp the weapon not make it worseless
    • Up x 3