Crossbow : Explosive Bolts, The new universal AV

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Stanis, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Stanis

Is this working as intended?

A pistol slot the every class can equip : In VR on PTS right now it's 7 shots (rear armor) to kill a prowler.
    The Explosive Bolt ammo type fires a short range AV grenade

I can guarantee if you give us this you'll have outfit squads all running with this as mandatory.
    • Up x 8
  2. DeadliestMoon

Did you really have to create another thread? You could've just posted this in an existing one.
    • Up x 2
  3. Stanis

I checked here and reddit. Nothing discussing Explosive Bolts.

The impact, excuse the pun, of which deserves discussions.
    Also couldn't find any posts indicating its currently bugged.

It will become the new defacto standard pistol for every player in the game as outfits put it on their required certs lists. If it's working as intended it's a game changer but seems OP as hell based on existing game balance.
  4. DeadliestMoon

The Patch Notes thread, you could've posted this in there.
  5. ironeddie

It does seem a bit powerful a small squad could quickly kill vehicles. Couple it with stalker cloak and you'd be hard to find.

I have to question why we need another way to kill vehicles. When I'm in my mag I'm threatened by other tanks, aircraft, AV turrets, fixed base turrets, rocket launchers, c4, maxes, tank mines. Do we really need to add to that list?

Of course I also play infiltrator. I'll probably have the crossbow, I will have stalker and I will abuse it until it's nerfed.
    • Up x 4
  6. Tenebrae Aeterna

If it's going to be available to all classes, there needs to be some changes. First of which would be to remove the specialty ammunition associated with the weapon; there shouldn't be anyone else capable of laying down recon darts and the explosive ammunition is likely to be rather overpowered...especially in our hands.

I'm perfectly fine with a silenced weapon that two-hit kills targets...but the range should be limited. I like the fact that the weapon has scope options, but isn't this just a silenced sniper rifle that EVERYONE can use?

This update is trying to turn everyone into an Infiltrator while weakening the actual Infiltrators through the increased amount of radar detection capabilities AND the hard counter we now have.
    • Up x 6
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

If it's going to be available to all classes, there needs to be some changes. First of which would be to remove the specialty ammunition associated with the weapon; there shouldn't be anyone else capable of laying down recon darts and the explosive ammunition is likely to be rather overpowered...especially in our hands.

I'm perfectly fine with a silenced weapon that two-hit kills targets...but the range should be limited. I like the fact that the weapon has scope options, but isn't this just a silenced sniper rifle that EVERYONE can use?

This update is trying to turn everyone into an Infiltrator while weakening the actual Infiltrators through the increased amount of radar detection capabilities AND the hard counter we now have. I really can't see any reason why this weapon isn't Infiltrator specific other than the fact that it's a very interesting design, visually speaking, that everyone is going to want and will likely purchase.

It's a sniper pistol, that's what this is...it's a miniature sniper rifle that acts exactly like a sniper rifle given to non-infiltrator classes.
  8. Feench

Idk what you guys are talking about. This sounds awesome. Every time something new and unique comes out everyone just b*tches. If it was up to forumside and redditside everyone would have the same guns and they would all shoot bbs.
  9. Tenebrae Aeterna

Funny you should say that...

The crossbow is a silenced sniper rifle with sensor darts as an optional ammunition.
  10. Ravenorth

Regular crossbow should be just infiltrators only weapon, its not an update for Infiltrators if everyone can use it and doesnt really help to make classes more unique either.

Let others just play with that silly Cubid crossbow.
    • Up x 2
  11. Stanis

The sensor dart ammunition type tracking the tagged player is an interesting mechanic that doesn't detract from an infiltrators sensor darts covering a wide area.

However it may be nice if tracking darts were an option for say Infil, LA and Engi
    While Explosives were an option for Heavy and Engi.

That said - it would be fun for all classes - except the poor vehicle drivers. That's going to to be a PITA if everyone has some AV in their pistol slot. It seems too good to be true as is.
  12. Lucidius134

I'm gonna put my Faith in the PS2 Devs (not SOE) here and say that it hopefully isn't all class and or pistol slot. It's hopefully just there so people can test it for now. Maybe they used a pistol as the basis for the code modification instead of a sniper and that string wasn't changed so it went to primary. Who knows.

Either way, i'll wait till a few days before the patch is supposed to go live before I get really vocal about changes.
  13. Ash87

I think we need to see what the actual function of the Detector bolt is.

The detector bolt COULD be a bolt that when it hits, tracks that one person, at which point that would be perfect.

Also, it's pretty obvious that the weapons are not assigned properly right now, the NS Sniper rifle is available to everyone, when Sniper rifles are a Infil class specific item.

Also, there is no way a secondary is going to have AV damage. It's probably going to basically be the UBGL.

If this is available to everyone, it's w/e in my opinion. I'd Like to see it be Infil specific, but if it isn't... okay. It still doesn't trump the commissioner or Underboss for 90% of situations. You can put a scope on it, but again... it's got a higher TTK than the commissioner, which doesn't have a rather sickeningly long time between shots, and a criminally small mag. I really see this being used a lot by infils, with stalker cloak... but not a Lot otherwise.
  14. B3cker

I'm kinda disappointed of this.
    I wanted the crossbrobow to be Infiltrator only and in the primary weapon slot.
    I'm okay with the slow bullet velocity and a Two-hit-kill on the body. But an AV-Crossbow for every class in the secondary slot? Just no.
  15. St0mpy

more pocket AV? wtg deathmatchside!! So at what point do we give up using vehicles completely? The decline in harrassers is more than noticeable, air has great trouble at times of the day, whos next?

I can deal with engineer having a turret as an AV guy but giving frikkin AV secondary to everyone? What ever happened to teamwork? With a weapon for every occasion in every pocket who needs classes?

When that cat is out of the bag its never going back in. SOE are never going to reverse a weapon release they sold for SC and once out its impossible to control the growth in use. Sure its power can be reduced but then what, itll end up being a weapon of mass annoyance with little strategic benefit, being plunked repeatedly in small amounts by some wanderer (or spawn room warrior) just because he can, yeah that sounds fun - not.

And whos going to bother weaponising/certing up an AV class to deal with vehicles if SOE make us one handed rambos able to deal with any situation in one class?

A lot of peoples certs rely on how well they deal with vehicles (both killing them or using them) and already there are underperforming rides as well as underperforming AV dedicated weapons people paid good money/XP for (ESRLs to name one). It will also flatten the appeal to new players from AV classes as the more experienced non vehicle classed players take AV kills from them too. This whole idea is messed up from the start and I dont think SOE are making a wise move here. Im sure they are thinking of the short term profit of it and not the impact to the game as a whole.

And I thought crossbows were going to be a mildly amusing alternative to a pistol .... sigh
  16. BioPhysics

I'm really disappointed the crossbow isn't an infiltrator only option.

I think it would be pretty balanced as every single class has a vehicle counter, but infiltrators do not.

Now there's going to be heavies running around with C4, anti-vehicle grenades, decimators and explosive tipped crossbow bolts.

Engineers with tank mines, sticky grenades, anti-vehicle turrets and explosive tipped bolts.

Medics with C4 and Explosive tipped bolts.

Light assault fairies flying around dropping C4 and sniping vehicles with explosive bolts from above.

Please, please, please make the crossbow infiltrator only. It will encourage more people to play the class, and it will provide a more balanced approach! This is the INFILTRATOR update, let's keep it that way.
    • Up x 1
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

Some have expressed that the NS Semi-Auto isn't class specific either, and this might all just be a result of them not yet assigning the weapons to the class rather than their intent to give them to all classes.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ayre

Right now explosive bolts do either 1 or no damage to infantry so I think its pretty safe to assume its not working as intended.
    • Up x 1
  19. Cromell

I'll go ahead and assume that damage resistances are NOT correct yet for both NC sniper shotgun mode and the Crossbow...
    • Up x 1
  20. SharpeShooter

sounds awesome cant wait to give it a go!