Friday Night Ops - Webcast Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Friday Night Ops' started by Luperza, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Luperza Community Manager

This thread is for new ideas, comments and/or concerns about the PlanetSide 2 Friday Night Ops (PS2FNO) webcast.

If you don't know what the PS2FNO webcast is or you want to know how you can be a part of it, go here.

You guys and gals make the events and we will help you however we can. Lots of event ideas have been added to this thread, so go ahead and run with them! :)

We want to make sure everyone is enjoying the show, so let us know what you want to see and what you already enjoy.
    • Up x 9
  2. TartarusMkII

Heya, just wanted to spend some time making a larger post, hopefully starting a discussion within the thread.

My goal is to have anyone else add to, or comment on my own suggestions. Please, though, if you have some ideas, make them known! Luperza has shown that she intends for this stream to be very much about the community, so don't hesitate to help out by speaking your mind!

Content Suggestions:
    • Role-Ins
    I've seen from other material that the development team is very personable, and fun in front of the camera! If you ever wanted to do an interview with another Developer, you could use that segment as a role-in. As with another suggestion, you can use these Role-Ins as sub-events to mention during the show.
    • Sub-Events
    Since these shows are built to run for a longer session, I think it'd be beneficial to start the show (and accompany it) with a schedule. For example:
    • Show Starts: 1:00
    • 1:00 - 2:00: Gathering period, Observing gameplay
    • 2:00 : Interview (use off-camera time to, perhaps, organize with an outit who is planned to appear.)
    • 2:~ : Outfit Ops with both Observer-cam and First person cut-ins (if possible).
    • 3:~ : Close to an hour, find a time to transition away from the outfit, and move to something else.
    My point isn't that the first episode had a bad flow, this is only an alternate suggestion. The reason for this schedule concept: A structure like this gives people a lot of room to enter and leave the stream at their leisure, achieving the feeling of hanging out. Also, announcing that certain things can greatly increase how interested a person will want to come watch the stream; If they know they have a casual time frame, they know they can hop on and enjoy it. This is opposed to one solid show, where people join and leave without having much idea of what is going on, or why they should stay with the show.
    • Chat with Chat Monitor
    I wasn't there to see the stream live, so if this was already achieved, then no worries! I suggest having a chat box next to the stream window when ever possible, so that people, especially players who cannot participate in the beta yet, can discuss the game. Also, if a trustworthy chat monitor can be found, that'd probably be a good idea.

If anyone else has any ideas or comments, please add them here! [IMG]
  3. Whalenator

I like how your avatar is purple tinted.
    On an actually relevant note, I'm glad you're covering the NC's Death Rally this friday. It's going to be a blast, but will probably only take twenty minutes or so until everyone's cremated. After that I suppose you could tagalong with the big outfits like the Devil Dogs, Sturmgrenadier, the Enclave or Azure Twilight.

If I were you I would definitely join the TeamSpeak of the outfit you're following around.
    (Unless it's the Enclave, of course.)
  4. TartarusMkII

Personally, I found in my own experience of streaming and in my Radio classes, that having people you don't know very well holding a mic can lead to very sad experiences.
  5. Whalenator

All the outfits I've ever run with would have the sense to keep it civil around a dev.
    Though I suppose you could just chat with the Outfit Leader or Operations Commander. It's just a good idea to make sure you have a sense of what's going on in the big picture, for proper camera positioning.
  6. TartarusMkII

I think, if the show were to involve a particularly well-known outfit, it would definitely be a cool idea to have the entire squad be heard through the show's audio. That would certainly promote Planetside2's awesome social features.
  7. RedCat

I understand FNO is going to be a place for the community too hang out, talk about the game, meet new people etc - that's best done when not having a schedule, it will feel more natural and I think that's the best way to do it, else it will feel too forced - if you are having fun featuring a certain outfit or talking about something, then why quit because the schedule says so? If you're having fun, so will the viewers!

I do have some idea's:

When streaming sometimes you have to take a break, get a drink or something, why not play outfit advertisements during those times? The outfit itself could create the advertisement (with certain rules such as no longer than 30 seconds), it would allow them to get more recruits and get more known in the community!

Perhaps do some give-aways, since FNO is only once a week, why not do a little contest while streaming? These contests could be anything, riddles, first person to kill you, questions about Planetside 1-2 lore, and just lots of other small contests and events while streaming with small prices :)

Perhaps show some videos (top 10 plays as mentioned in other topic) or fanart, funny screenshots etc during the show.
    • Up x 6
  8. StaticGrazer

I would like to see the infultraters have a an ability to have teleporting pods and use them temporarily.

Maybe outfits with X number of members and Y experience gained in Z days can have a special emblem or something cool like that.

I'd also really love to see the Sunderer, as either an equipment terminal, or spawning tube. Maybe stick with the way yall have it set up in the game so far where you can attach/cert both, but only have one going at a time? Or if a giant tube sticking out of the sunderer is weird, maybe you could work it as a mobile spawn beacon? Even going as far as physically needing to plug a beacon in for it to really work. Maybe even after a certain amount of damage to the outside it is destroyed? Sky is the limit there.

Other than these things, I'd really have to see what you guys had already planned ( as far as certs and weapons and the like ) before I could give any " This is great, but this would make it AWESOME "

Also...please no BFRs...please...please...please...NO
  9. TartarusMkII

Yes, you are definitely right. I'd like to clarify though, that my schedule concept agrees with you. That is why the concept schedule lists Aprox. Hour times. This is to represent the idea that any of the show's events can easily spill into the buffer time I've suggested, without any rush or deadlines.

I personally believe advertisements would detract from the friendly personable feel the stream already has. For more information on advertisements: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...on-advertisements-where-could-they-fit.17743/

I think these are great ideas! Anything with live viewer feedback is always very well received. I also like the idea about the role-ins, such as top ten plays, etc. I think a screenshot entry would be a great staple.

This thread is for ideas about 'Friday Night Ops', a weekly stream about Planetside 2. Though your suggests are appreciated, I'm sorry but your post is in the wrong place. =(
  10. RedCat

Sure, it would make sense to have some sort of schedule to kind hang on to, I agree - but don't make it too forced.

Well, they would be community created, and not REAL advertisements, specifically made by outfits to get new recruits, I think it could work out as long as they are not too long. I'd imagine it would really show what kind of outfit they are, some could be funny (casual outfit), others more professional (more competitive/serious outfit) and etc.

It wouldn't really call it an advertisement either, it's not there to annoy you but rather entertain you and learn more about all the kinds of different outfits Planetside 2 has. Perhaps call it "Outfit Trailers" - or something.

It would allow outfits to get more recruits, and show who they are in a 20-30 second clip (maybe even shorter), and well.. outfits are very important in this game, since it's very team oriented. I think it could work out provided there are some rules and they get approved by SOE/whatever.

I hope this explains it a little better.
    • Up x 1
  11. TartarusMkII

Outfit trailers or intros sound very fun, I think that's a great idea.
  12. Marinealver

Flash Races (since we don't have ANTs but Flashs can be unarmed so that will be good.):)
    • Up x 1
  13. Sparks

Will us EU people be left out in the cold on Esamir or will we receive coverage aswell (through Pro7 perhaps)?

OT:
    I would like to see some tank only events happening.
  14. Marinealver

Not until they fix the Tank system.
    Make the Lightning the only driver/gunner vehicle, Seperate the Driver/Main gunner from the MBTs. Buff the Armor so they feel like tanks and not like aluminium cans.
    • Up x 1
  15. TartarusMkII

I don't see why the show could not move between servers freely.
  16. Bejns

I'm watching enclave stream and its pretty clean - they sound like a proper military outfit would sound like when doing OPs. I think showcasing them would be awesome.

And its not that the world would fall apart if someone hears one bad word on teamspeak - right now its all about promoting the game, and increasing its chance of sucess.

Back to topic, i love the idea if you interviewed members of a squad and then following their ops being on their TS. That is the best way to showcase a real PS2 game. It beats streaming from first person because of the angles of the fight you can make from flying mode and still you can gain that inside perspective from within the squad.
  17. Luperza Community Manager

Great ideas so far. Keep them coming.

I just wanted to touch base on a few things:
    • Show schedule - I already provide a list of things that are going into the show for the week in order of how they will happen. As people were stating, I don't want to be confined to certain time frames. I can add estimates if people really feel that is important.
    • I love the idea of adding a photo of the week or trivia section.
    • I like the outfit advertisement idea, but I'm not sure how that would work. Definitely something to think about. I think it would be neat if people submitted their own PlanetSide 2 music, rap, etc!
    • As far as rewards go, I have to be really careful with rewards because that requires me to get personal information from you and there's other things like legal involved. It just becomes a bigger hassle for me, but I can see what our Marketing/PR team thinks about that. :)
    • EU FNO - I can definitely do a few FNO shows during more EU friendly time frames. That's the great thing about this show being just there and less of a structured thing. :) I want to cater and help grow all aspects of our community. Let me know what times in PST would work best for you EU people. I'll see what I can do.
    • Up x 3
  18. Luperza Community Manager

I'll try to use the observer mode camera for when I do the portion with the outfits instead of me running with them first person style. (I just really want to play! Hehe =D)
    • Up x 4
  19. Razor_01

Sturmgrenadier does flash races quite often. It's a ton of fun.
  20. BennyBurner

I would be awesomely keen for vehicle races, perhaps multi faction? around a pre-determined route (get to x base, then go to y base, then to z base etc)
    Proud to say I was there for the first ep. had my fair share of holy s**t moments as everyone on the server bombarded a small outpost where Luperza decided to spawn at :p might have even jumped on top of her tank so there's proof that I was there on the stream hahaha :D