Two C4 doesn't kill an MBT anymore?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SLiCKRiCK, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Stargazer86

This thread is glorious. You can easily tell which players think parking a vehicle next to a building infested by infantry is a good idea as should render them magically invulnerable.

Seriously. Go look up the heavy smattering of reasons why tanks + urban landscapes has and forever shall be a bad idea.
    • Up x 6
  2. Lancener

C4 appears to be hugely bugged, just went to VR to test it (I know, VR may have added to the bugs)
    2 C4 on a harasser, one exploded entirely the other stayed above half health.
    2 C4 on a Prowler, one caught fire the other didn't drop below half health.
    Not going to repeat myself a 3rd time for what happened when I tested it on lightnings.
  3. Stargazer86

Let's try to equate things here.

Two LA's working together can kill a Sunderer. It may take a number of deaths, a number of wasted C4 blocks, time, effort, and stubborness, depending on how well guarded it is, but it can be done.

Is that any less teamplay than using a single tank and a single person to achieve the same goal? If you fail, you'd waste, what is it now? 450 resources? Whereas if LA's fail, they can just respawn and try again and again, and likely wasting the same amount or more.

Are you saying that tanks are weak because you can only attempt such a feat once? Well, to me, that seems offset by the fact that, as you said, you can easily farm infantry otherwise. I know for a fact that infantry can't get 30/0 killstreaks anywhere near the manner tanks can. If you're good, you don't even lose the tank. I'm just not seeing why tanks dying to C4 is such a horrendous, horrible thing for you...
    • Up x 4
  4. MurderBunneh

Let me guess some dirty infantry killed you thereby dropping your K/D below 7. And now you can't get an erection.

Does that sum it up pretty well?
    • Up x 5
  5. Hatesphere

"dedicated tank drive"

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  6. mooman1080

I just tested it outside VR, tank still blew up, either VR is being VR or c4 is being wonky.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled farm skillful play.
  7. Liquid23

and DATs wonder why we call them DATs
  8. ghostwalkn

9. CHDT65

I play mainly as a tanker and I've never had a problem to have my tank destroyed by enemy soldiers carrying C4's.

This game is being dumbed down, probably because of the coming console sofa warriors.
    • Up x 2
  10. EliteEskimo

Actually according to DA's website my KDR while using Prowler HEAT, which I almost always use, is around 29 KDR.

Keep in mind my playstyle is on the front line where most tanks are Instagibbed in mere minutes if not seconds. I'm fighting around 100 meters distance to where enemy infantry are. But I'll go much close to around 50 meters many times as well. I'm my happiest among allied infantry and pretending to be an actual MBT, instead of an artillery platform with no turret stabilization. I find it amusing that just because I support infantry not being able to solo full health MBT's with a click of a button automatically means all my posts are filled with anger and rage due to myself dying to infantry.

I play in one of the few combined arms outfits left in Planetside 2 and am expected to help support infantry on a regular basis. Teamwork based gameplay and combined arms gameplay is important to me. That being said a single infantry trying to suicide C4 themself on my tank over and over for the mere reason that C4 gives them the ability to do so is not teamwork oriented. I don't think such a massive scale game which was designed around teamwork would be at a great loss if a single infantry no longer had the capabilities so solo a full health MBT by themselves. That's just my opinion though.

Actually 2 LA's working together effectively only spend 400 resources, are utilizing teamwork, and that's cool in my book. They don't lose anymore than that unless they threw C4 and died mid button press. If I lose my tank on the way to my objective I get no second chance, that's 450 resources gone forever.

I would also like to add that if I'm a 1/2 MBT trying to destroy a heavily defended AMS sunderer on the front lines, I really shouldn't expect to succeed and if I do manage then expect to have my tank survive after that. Normally it takes a 2/2 MBT to really have a chance, and that is teamwork. If you want to be really effective as a tanker, you want to have a gunner with you at all times, that means using teamwork as much as possible.

I'm saying tanks are weak because in big battles they are quickly destroyed by infantry. Why do you think tanks are often found in big groups and on the edges of a battle? If they aren't zerging around in big groups they are quickly destroyed. The only exception to the rule might be tankers who are exceptional at front line combat, and/or play alongside a few other tanks. Infantry often get more certs per hour than a tank can, and can do so for 0 resources. What do kill streaks matter if you aren't helping out your outfit or faction? Are you more concerned with being an asset in your tank and taking risks, or do you fall along the lines of shelling from long ranges to pad your KDR?

I'm not going to tell you what is the right way to use a tank, but one way is considerably more valuable to the battle and often involves team work (being 2/2). The other is padding your KDR, doing something that only effects the battle a fraction as much, and only requires you to be 1/2 to be effect at doing it. Personally I've already spent hours making detailed threads to encourage tanks to be designed so people will want to always run their MBT's as 2/2 teamwork vehicles, but the developers weren't interested in that part of my thread sadly.
    • Up x 7
  11. biterwylie

Yeh me to. I play mainly tank. Very rare I get C4'd. Normally means I got lazy and greedy, or stopped caring and was going to switch off anyway.

Nerfing C4 is just dumbing down the game further for bad tank drivers. See tank mines...
    • Up x 3
  12. Hoki

haha, wooow

thats just ******* stupid
  13. grazr

I wondered why suddenly a single MBT was once again able to lock down a base and farm infantry off the spawn exits with little consequence to zero battlefield awareness.

It's been a while since i've seen NC unable to get out of their spawn rooms again. So nostalgic.
    • Up x 3
  14. hansgrosse

As has been suggested, I don't think that this is a "nerf" so much as a bug. I'm sure it'll be fixed sometime within the next... year or so. In any case, C4 really doesn't need to be made less deadly versus armor IMO.

I haven't personally died to the stuff in a very, very long time. Dat proxy radar. ;D
  15. Hatesphere

wow that C4 must be hell for you...
    • Up x 2
  16. deggy

If you read through the thread you'll find that it works as intended pretty often.

So it sounds a bit like you and your friends were just not playing well.
    • Up x 1
  17. EliteEskimo

Not really, but I don't get you guys. It's not that I'm constantly dying to C4, or camping in front of spawn and getting blow up by it. I just don't think a single infantry should be able to solo a full health MBT in such a massive scale game combined arms game like Planetside 2. If C4 were directional and only instagibbed tanks from the rear, that's cool, but before this bug C4 can land on the ground and the splash nicking the front armor causes the tank to explode.

I don't see what's so outrageous about my opinion given all the things I've already said to support my view. What's sad is that while I'm merely trying to maturely support my opinion with valid points, a lot of other people are accusing me of being bad, being mad, or apparently being the equivalent of a baby playing with a toy. I'm not surprised because after all this is forumside 2, and anyone that stands up against Infantryside 2 should expect to see "You mad because you bad, L2P lololol" statements.
    • Up x 9
  18. Hatesphere

we are all babies playing with toys, this is a computer game. you basically are mad at something that you even admit rarely is an issue for you.
    • Up x 2
  19. Copasetic

Let me give you an equally biased counter viewpoint, being a LA ***** myself.

Two bricks of C4 costs 200 infantry resources, shared with everything from grenades to MAXs to prox mines to medkits, all things any infantry player will be using on a regular basis. Unlike vehicles you can stockpile these resources by stockpiling consumables, but you're still burning through them much faster than the average tanker. On top of this C4 can't be repaired or regained after use, unlike vehicles. A simple 200 vs 350 comparison in resource costs is really not the whole picture, and if you ask me against vehicles that 200 infantry res cost is balanced just fine.

C4 has an effective range of about 2m, you have to be within arms reach of a vehicle or directly above it to use it. Deploying 2 sticks takes about 5 seconds, during which time you're completely vulnerable. Unlike a tank you get no protection from small arms fire or anything else, and you need to stay within 2m of your target for most of that 5s. I've lost countless sticks just because someone killed me while I was throwing them down, and that's perfectly fair.

C4 is absolutely useless against moving vehicles. To be threatened by C4 you need to be sitting still momentarily in an infantry infested area (ie. beside a building inside a base), or sitting still for a long period of time somewhere else. Those are literally the only two scenarios where C4 is a real threat, and surprise, they're both scenarios where vehicles should be at a disadvantage. Unlike all the other infantry AV in the game, C4 is the only thing that works only in situations where vehicles are clearly doing something they shouldn't be.

I can understand the frustration in being instagibbed by it, as an infantry player I experience this frustration all the time. But If you ask me, based purely on its capabilities and limitations C4 is the most balanced infantry AV there is.
    • Up x 6
  20. CNR4806

So after failing to refute anything, you're trying to ignore his opinion EXACTLY BECAUSE he's good enough to avoid getting C4ed?

Try to actually argue back, instead of trying to discredit the other guy, because that's not going to work.