Integrate global redeployment within the respawn system. Recent changes do not cut it, here is why

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Sep 4, 2013.

1. WorldOfForms

Not sure why they didn't go with PS1's deployment system.

You could spawn at:

1) Nearest base
    2) Nearest tower (analog in PS2 would be nearest outpost)
    3) Nearest AMS

And with Binding,

4) A single other base that you Bound to.
    5) A single AMS you bound to.

See, PS1 had this cool thing called Binding. You manually accessed a Matrix panel, setting your Bind point. This gave you just a couple extra options for respawning, but you had to set them up ahead of time. And of course once you spawned at a Bind point, that would be your nearest base, so you couldn't just hop back and forth across the map.

Believe it or not, but people actually used Galaxies for transport.
    • Up x 2
  2. UberBonisseur

The main difference was the average distance between bases; there was usually a single useful base to redeploy from to go to the frontline, and flanking was mostly done through lodestars and gals.

With much more bases and much less distance inbetween, I'm not sure it'd perfectly fit
  3. Spoprockel

Talk about fear of change...
  4. UberBonisseur

I'm going to bring this on the front page again.

Necessary evil.
  5. Czuuk

It is hard to redeploy for attacks. We use galaxies to avoid choke points on the ground to great effect. Very good for well timed counter attacks.
  6. Zotamedu

You are missing one huge point here. When spawn hopping to another place, you are committed to a lane since you can only spawn one base forward. So if you are moving a bunch of bases over. Say you have spent 2 minutes getting there and the situation changes. Then you have to abort back to the warpgate to start over. If you have been sitting idle at the deploy screen, you can just deploy at another point directly. So there's a rather big flaw in your logic.

Global spawn should never ever be a thing.
  7. Peter Daniel

We can't drop anywhere that is connected because of the Galaxies?
    Delete the Galaxies.
  8. UberBonisseur

And I don't see the issue because DEAD PEOPLE DO NOT FIGHT.
    Even if your whole platoon is in deploy mode doing the "deploy resecure force", they are not fighting elsewhere.

Also, there are ways to prevent massive redeployments, like a "deployment funnel" over a single base.

It's not like the current system is good either; you fly someone here in an ESF, set him leader, keep your other troops on the frontline. Situation changes ?
    Change the leader back to your original location.

Current system: 1 person moves out of 12
    Global deployment: 12 players are withdrawn from the fight.
  9. Tristan

Yes, us being out of a fight for 25 seconds as opposed to being forced to use vehicles for 1-2 minutes is exactly the same thing.
  10. Prudentia

ok i see 2 opinions here:
    1) let me spawn 3 meters away from enemys so i can have a 1v1 and then matchmake me with another enemy( basicly BF3 just that you don't spwn at flags but choose the enemy to spawn at)
    2) give me 1 startpoint and multiple objectives so i can freely choose what i atempt to do and how i do it ( GRAW, Arma, OpFlashpoint Style)
    i think i prefer 2...
    oh the humanity
    even Stew knows more about the reality of the game than you...
  11. Lamat

Pressure to use vehicles hurts the under populated faction though because:
    1) Less territory, less resources
    2) The enemy is probably swarming the land with their vehicles which are probably cheaper from continental bonus and they have more resources. Now your going to feed cert pinatas of sunderers and galaxies to the zergs?

What if we scaled redeploy timers to populations giving under populated factions better mobility? I imagine the more soldiers you have the more bandwidth you use to move their "souls" around.
  12. UberBonisseur

No, but /suicide hopping still allows me to move faster than a vehicle.

I don't hate the anti-deployment side, but using the "people would use less vehicles" argument is null and void when the current system ALREADY allows you to /suicide hop your way around the map. And lets you pick random, 15 second spawn locations. And squad deploy.
  13. Tristan

This is why I said on the first page that spawns should be extremely limited. One base forward and one base back in the lattice. You'd have to suicide an unreasonable amount of times to change lanes.
  14. UberBonisseur

What's the point ?

15 + 15 = 30.

What is the point of not letting me respawn two bases in the back/front for 30 seconds ?
  15. Chubrokoli

Maybe we need a transport exp?
  16. UberBonisseur

I think this is in a dire need of a bump, and in a quest for visibility.
  17. Darsh

I wouldn't be opposed to being able to respawn anywhere on the continent.. Under the condition that there is a resources cost attributed to re-deploying., and that it gets more expensive the further away you go. That way, it wouldn't render transport by vehicles completely useless.
  18. uhlan

I'd like to see a timer associated with a certain spawn location based on population.

The way to break that timer, of course, would be to USE A GALAXY!

I just wish it weren't so easy for one man galaxy spam to exist.
  19. patricio_z

The respawn system is one of the most annoying things of PS2, I wonder how many players PS2 lost due to *******d options to get into a fight....I know I logged off plenty of times due to not having fights available that didn't involve staring at a dozen loading screens.
    But yhea, those who play tanks and air need targets, so why not force us into vehicles to provide them...It is sad that the only time I hop into an ESF is when I don't want to suicide 10 times in a row....Nice for a game to FORCE you into something you don't want to make up for POOR gameplay... No wonder this game is dying, and doing it fast.
  20. Pootisman

This is definitely not nonsense! Have you ever fought a half decent outfit? The thing the dev mentioned happens very often on my server, i.e. 1 min left for base capture and all of a sudden 2 or more squads of TRID appear in the spawn room and retake the base. No fun.

Yes, you can do the same with squad deploy, but that requires at least 1 person of each squad to drive/fly to the to base. With unlimited redeploy, a whole platoon can instantly redeploy the any base which is in danger.

That sounds good, it would reduce the amount of clicks you have to make when you want to redeploy to remote territory.