Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. BRG7780

What are these "tactics" that proponents of this keep championing?

The tactic where a huge group of players roam in a pack from objective to objective with no sense of strategic value?

The tactic where you assault Crossroads from B through the gulch in an elite flanking maneuver that is immediately seen and spotted by players with IRNV scopes?

The tactic where the huge 12/12 skywhale VRRRRMMMMMMSSSS overhead and everyone inside drops onto the objective in an all-out assault that's seen and heard by everyone in that zone?

...Because those aren't going to become super-elite ninja tactics just because the night is darker. The difference is that nobody will be able to see a damned thing unless they're walking around with their IRNV scopes up against their eyes. Oh, and without better 3D spotting, exactly how are you planning to stay together with your platoon in the midst of that chaos that the dark nights causes? You'll see a green dorito bouncing around in the darkness with zero idea how far away they are.

If you want hyped-up ADHD gaming where everything is chaotic and runs at a million miles an hour, I hear Call of Duty: Ghosts is to be released soon...
    • Up x 4
  2. Yaj

Dark nights please! Like really dark... :)
  3. JackD

Please let let ther Dark Knights stay SOE.
    • Up x 1
  4. lilleAllan

Dear SoE

WHY is it that you STILL haven't fixed IRNV on low graphics quality settings?
    WHY are you even considering implementing this when IRNV is STILL FUBAR on low settings? Even though we promised that it would be fixed half a year ago?

Manage your priorities? How does that sound?
  5. Phyr

You mean, like, optimization, that will allow you to up a few settings to medium? You're right, SOE should stop what they're doing and work exclusively on the games performance.
  6. Myka

Saw Twitter... logged into this awful forum to say please keep the dark nights SOE!
    • Up x 1
  7. lilleAllan

Yes, that is what they are doing. Good observation from your part.

And even after optimization a large number of players will still have to run low settings.

So I have no idea what you're trying to say.
  8. Visigodo

"Immersion" is stupid and only terrible players actually want these dark nights, which are easily negated by monitor, driver, and in-game settings. You're just going to give even more of an advantage to high level VS players like myself and those in my outfit.
  9. randomusername146

+ for darker nights.
  10. Phyr

I'm saying we shouldn't stop something just because someone running on a potato might conceivably have a tiny advantage.
  11. FIN Faravid

Gimme gimme gimme gimme!!!
  12. Sharpe

I want dark nights! I absolutely loved playing in beta when it was more or less pitch black on some nights..

However this is a difficult topic.

The "Win at any costs" half wits are going to be bumping their gamma and brightness to silly levels so they can have "an edge" over other people... you know, kinda what propper cheaters do but in a "legal fashion". It won't matter how you appeal to people's values.

The question is, do you design a game to be the best it can be for the legit players, or do you compromise your design to fit the pseudo-cheaters as well?

I say f*** those people, if they wanna bump their gamma to 9000+ so they can be l33t, go ahead, I still want the immersion and awesome firefights provided by dark nights.
    • Up x 4
  13. lilleAllan

I'm saying that SoE should get their priorities straight and not implement darker nights until they fixed IRNV scopes as promised a long time ago, since low settings users will be at a major disadvantage - not a tiny one.

I'm at medium settings myself, but in a PvP game they need to level the playing field, and that means giving low settings users the same IRNV performance as med/high. That's a balance concern.

And yes they should stop it and fix the damn scope before proceeding considering they promised to do this half a year ago. After that, I'm all for darker nights.
  14. Lucidius134

PSA to SOE:

Darker Nights are nothing when they don't come with enough lightning to make them worth wile.

People have been asking for more lighting in major facilities and out posts, and tying that extra lighting to generators or some sort of small group objective.
  15. Phyr

We didn't have a reason to use the scope, with darker nights we would, therefore they'd have a reason to fix/improve it.

Think of it like a circle.
  16. lilleAllan

Yes, we did, considering it's still among the best scopes in the game.
    That's the case on infantry, and especially on vehicles.
  17. Phyr

Best is relative.
  18. Being@RT

Don't implement Darker Nights until you can do so
    1) Without reducing performance
    2) Without creating a way to bypass the effects via game/monitor settings or hacks
    3) While having each faction equally hard to spot
    4) While having a day/night cycle where a player can always find a daylight battle to meaningfully participate in

Point 1 is not an issue if they ignore point 2. But they shouldn't ignore that. Point 3 is relevant whether they implement darker nights or not. Point 4 requires different time of day for each continent, but will be complicated if continent locking comes into play (potentially leaving just one continent for a faction).

Once you can do all that, I'm all for Darker Nights. Until then, don't.
  19. Irathi

There are something like 80 replies here and only 15 likes to the original post. Every damn one of you that wants the dark night use the "Vote up" in the first post!
    it doesnt matter if you think it should be a different night mechanics etc, this is about wether we want dark nights or not, how they make the night dark will be a later discussion.

WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, WE WANT DARK NIGHTS, !
  20. Shrubbo

+1 for darker nights.