Darker Night is in trouble

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ash87

Link

For those of you who still think the twitter is some cursed land filled with lepers and heresy, Darker Nights is something that the community has been in an uproar about getting back since it was pulled from Beta. It was addressed by Higby at some point, in which he said they wouldn't be keen on bringing it back, because they didn't want to offend the artistic department, by washing out the brilliant color schemes they put time into... well guess what? They put it back in anyway!

Yay right?!

No.

Because some people are objecting, SOE is considering pulling darker nights from the game entirely. I know there are many people who have considered darker nights to be some major thing, so here is your chance to possibly see that back IG. You need to express your opinion on this and argue with great ferocity against people saying it's a bad idea. To be frank, this is now content being held back by fear of the community backlash... which in a way is good, but is also bad, because if you do Not say you like it, you run the risk of never seeing it again... and at this point it's mostly on the community. So if we loose Darker nights forever, it's because we told them to drop it.

So Express your opinion.

Like now.
    • Up x 63
  2. Kid Gloves

I find it worrying that twitter is the only forum that is considered for these kinds of metrics.

I want dark night in, and i want it to stay. I am not going to go and hook myself up to twitter to state it.
    • Up x 33
  3. Lamat

Give all factions the ability to have full camo coverage and I'm ok with it.
    • Up x 9
  4. gnometheft

I think the community all agrees that though we may all be at a disadvantage, it'll look bad to the *** to see those tracers through the night sky. BRING ON THE DARK.
    • Up x 16
  5. Netsurfer733

I was just about to make a thread about this, thank you.

I for one wasn't in beta, but I love the game and I follow SOE on twitter, and I was amazed to hear that just about on the same day as they put it in, people are already complaining darker nights away. What?!? The same day?!
    No good! I haven't even been able to give test a go yet (couldn't start it up in the other patch; haven't had a chance to try this one yet).

I for one always thought that darker nights would be a great idea as another 'layer' to the current night scheme, so that the current level of lighting would exist 'around' the darker nights. I.e., night time would last say 30 minutes, then i would say in the 'middle 15' minutes or so, darker nights should be going on. No need to completely replace nighttime with such darkness, but seriously - why not add depth to the game by allowing it to get that dark from time to time? People might ACTUALLY start holding off on raids until that time, then!

Anyway, that's my two cents.

SOE: Please do NOT take out darker nights from test server for a while to come - weeks, at least! And I would highly suggest the above, err, suggestion, of course.
    • Up x 10
  6. Liquid23

darker nights are in trouble because I got a brightness and gamma setting
    • Up x 17
  7. Locke

My thoughts on this is that variety is king. Could we not have some nights that are darker and some that are lighter (normal)? Just call it a moon cycle.
    • Up x 7
  8. ForeFront0fFear

Darker nights Need to be darker still!

Come on make that flashlight WORTH 100 certs!

But, seriously DARKER!
    • Up x 8
  9. MasterCheef

Darker nights should simply be in rotation. It doesnt need to be pitch black every night, it would be nice to have some variation. 1 out of 4/5 nights being dark would add some surprises to gameplay. Next step would be mild weather!
    • Up x 9
  10. Dave Mercer

i think there should be different degrees of darkness for each continent. maybe one cont doesnt get that dark and another gets really dark, it will help make the game more unique and make for a fun dynamic
  11. ForeFront0fFear

Make Nights Darker and add in like spotlights for ESF's and Liberators

Just Imagine sneaking up on a base only to be illuminated by a Mossy bearing down on ya.

Or tracers filling the night sky as you approach the crown!
    *Chills*
    • Up x 5
  12. teks

Dark nights!!!!! +1
    • Up x 4
  13. ForeFront0fFear

Check it!
    • Up x 12
  14. TheAntiFish

Now that would be cool.
    • Up x 4
  15. Raital

Please don't take darker nights away. It made for some strikingly beautiful firefights in the beta, and it's those moments I remember in my mind as actual nights. The nights in the current game have always looked like some sort of crappy movie-quality day-to-night filter effects that even a child could discern was taken during the day and not during the night. The day/night mechanic as it currently exists is largely pointless as it has no effect on tactical gameplay and makes the game look worse for it.

This is actually something that will affect my decision to play the game again or not.
    • Up x 5
  16. ForeFront0fFear

You want meta game? How 'bout this.

BASE....
    wait for it...
    LIGHTS.

BASE LIGHTS! Powered by an external generator.

Boom.
    • Up x 31
  17. Van Dax

the current test implementation won't work. I like it but its counterable with a settings adjustment which ruins the whole point. They'd need a dark 'fog' in order for it to work.
    • Up x 3
  18. Ultramarine

Darker Nights! Except Esamir. Seriously, it never really gets too dark during the winter. You could also add a lunar system, every so often a moon rises or doesn't reducing the darkness for variation.
    • Up x 4
  19. Ultramarine

I disagree. If some coward wants to change his settings to get an advantage, let him. He clearly cares about his K/D a bit too much and we shouldn't have to sacrifice our fun and experience for his sake. Bring on the darker nights, and let the men stand out on the feeds :p
    (Manliness being a term referring to the idea of being a bigger person, not anything to do with whatever you were born with)
    • Up x 6
  20. Jeralamo

this guy said it exactly. every semi serious outfit will just turn up their gamma and for them it might as well be day time. I would like darker nights too but no one will fight in the night.
    • Up x 2