Help me understand the appeal of Indar, please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by John_Aitc, Oct 18, 2013.

1. DeadLamb

Indar is just a well balanced map for whatever one wants to do. Everyone has a place in the fight and the map doesn't go out of it's way to block you from doing whatever you want to do for the most part. Yes everyone fights there being "everyone fights there" but the map lets that happen.

I like the other maps and I really wish they would do events like "Double XP on this map, that's not indar!" event like weekends or whatever. Something to draw more people into fighting on the other maps.. but I get why people don't like the other maps.
    Amerish is a nightmare to drive around and Esamir's walls render vehicles near worthless in many fights.

the walls on Esamir were a really strange change. I understand what they were looking to do and if people had bought into the whole siege the base idea it should of work out great.. had some killer battles there early on. Yet for whatever reason people just did not like the change I guess..

must be very frustrating to the game makers. QQQQQQQQ about lack of fights with out gear spam.. Change a map to allow huge player battles with out gear spam and the player base is all "nah...."... It's like dealing with an unhappy woman or something.
    SOE: "Just tell me what you want!!"
    Player base: -I should not have to tell you, you should just know!-
    • Up x 1
  2. Roadwarrior82

Enemies to fight with...
  3. Simferion

Indar has more people ,so this is a snowball effect.

I agree that the three continents should be revisited:
    Indar is just 3 patches of terrains and should be more varied, Esamir now has too many walls and the lack of 2 tech plants is bad. Amerish has too few paths. The roads are sufficient but we need paths for light vehicles as ATV and Harassers , covered or protected against air, so it could be more enjoyable.

And all the continents needs a better layout of the bases.
  4. Lamat

Indar is one of the most useful continents to own, because infantry resources are typically the most taxed resource for most players.
    • Up x 1
  5. TheMercator

Esamir was a vehicle-masacre before, now its abundance of walls.
    Amerish doesnt give you what its offers. It wants to be mountains and green, but most of the bases are just as flat as on Indar or Esamir, only the Space between them is filled with ugly wall-like mountains. Furthermore, most players dont want to go longer than a minute from base to base, so they claim that Amerish needs more pathes and roads.
  6. Sen7rygun

Its got mountain passes, deep canyons, open flat desserts, rolling grassy hills, bases on high perches, bases built into mountain sides etc. Its got something for everyone.

Amerish is for the flyboys and people who like to take 15m to travel 500m on the ground. Esamir used to be the place for full on armored combat but now its just a white version of Amerish.
  7. LT_Latency

This is what think

Assamir is a mess, It just takes WAY WAY to long to drive anywhere. Any time you want to move there is a ton of extra windy roads.

Essamir is good, But here is WAY to many battles were you MUST get out of your tank. Which means people lose 500 tank points for no good reason. Until you can refund your tank points when switching to infantry fight people will ignore esamir.

Which levels indar. Good travel times and you don't have to just waste your vehicles to keep playing
    • Up x 1
  8. Zombekas

Indar looks and feels best. The desert n' stuff :)
  9. Zombekas

I miss the crown meatgrinder. Was different from other games of this era. Even reminded the arena shooter days a little bit. Now the "standard" PS2 gameplay is just a reskinned Battlefield 3 or 4 or N. Get in a vehicle, capture some points, wait until you get the zone, move out. Or load a new map in the case of Battlefield. It's like... Whatever...
  10. Eugenitor

I only play Amerish with very few exceptions. Indar's always been zerg heaven, although there are some parts that were nice before the wall screwjobs. (Maybe a handful still are, I don't know, I don't play there) Wallamir... it's depressing that there's people in this game who will never know the old Esamir. The old Esamir was a place where you could get in a vehicle and just GO. Wide open spaces, a few bases that blended in well, it felt like part of a world instead of just a few choked-off fight zones.

But the immersion's gone because the devs just can't stop chugging that "battle flow" kool-aid.
    • Up x 2
  11. Calisai

Which you not only lose resources for, but 2/3 of the factions can't grab another one... So if you are a MBT driver, you are forced to stay in your MBT or go back to warpgate and drive 1000m+ back to the fight. I understand wanting to make the Tech plant the focus of the continent, but between releasing the Harassers, upping the resource cost of MBTs and the solo tech plant... if you are a MBT driver, I just say screw it if we don't have Eisa... even if we have it... it's not like you are going to have Major MBT battles.. you are going to be going against 3-4 harassers/lightnings and BOATLOADS of ESFs and Libs, with a good compliment of Infantry on every hill and valley with rocket launchers..

So yea... Esamir... what was billed originally as the Tank continent... was completely **** upon for tanking... I still go there for alerts and outfit ops, but for normal fun gameplay? Naw, i'll pass.

Amerish.. .oh... When it takes 10 minutes to go from base to base, while ESFs and Libs have free rain of the skies... combined with the easy capping of the non-lattice system... I'm constantly feeling like i'm driving everywhere on Amerish. Granted its a nice lovely drive in the countryside... but not a whole lot of action other than dodging 10+ ESFs and Libs. When you do find some armor to fight... it's usually a rolling zerg since all vehicles usually get funnelled into each other. Fun, fun fun...:p
  12. tproter

I like Indar because it leads to more "open" battles than the other continents do, without appearing as bland and lifeless as Esamir.

On that note, I would have left the Rebellion and joined the Empire if I were stationed on Hoth.
  13. Hicksimus

Indar tends to have more than 25 people on it. Fighting people = certs and Planetside 2's grand scheme is unlocks that take certs.
    Seems simple enough to me.
  14. Sordid

It has people in it, it's as simple as that.
  15. Pikachu

We had a thread like this before the merge, and right after it I spent most of my time on Esamir having great battles. Thst was probably the best period of time the game has had.
    • Up x 2
  16. dstock

Once the devs understand that 'Hey, we got the zergs to fight each other!' isn't "battle flow", we may have a chance. Hopefully that day comes in the next 5 years.
  17. Gavyne

Yeah for the month after the server merges, there were consistent battles on Esamir & Amerish. Now it seems it's back to Indar only, and there's really no more servers to merge (for west coast anyway).

People play on Indar simply because it's where the action is. One of the issues Planetside 2 has is how hard it can be to find action. The maps are simply too large for the population we have at the moment. Back pre-merge we asked the devs to develop continent locking mechanism so there can be some sort of flow where empires fight to lock a continent, then the battle moves on to the next continent, etc.. This way all 3 continents will be utilized and played. Honestly we need something like that now more than ever because having 3 continents with the current player population just isn't working.

Amerish was always viewed as that tedious continent where it's hard to get around either on foot or in vehicles. Esamir was fun but people avoided it back when air had superiority over all. Esamir was too open for infantry to do well. This leaves Indar, the only continent where people don't have too much difficulties getting around, it's not too open so infantry has some sort of cover, and it's always been a continent that people are more familiar with, and where the action usually is.
  18. Sharpe

Indar is my favorite continent by far. Because I can enjoy playing every vehicle in it as well as infantry.

Esamir has long stretches of open terrain without much to hide behind as a tank, no mountaints / terrain to break locks as ESF (or exciting terrain to fly over/into. Ice everywhere gets boring, visually.

Amerish has mountains everywhere, perfect for annoying striker ambushes, AV turrets deployed all over the place. I really enjoy playing infantry in Amerish but it's just too annoying to drive vehicles in, to get anywhere you have to zigzag in linear roads (corridor style) surrounded by high terrain on all sides.

On Indar I absolutely love having dogfights in the canyons, I like how different the terrain is, there's a little bit of everything for everyone, everywhere... good hiding/ambush places for both tanks, air and infantry, and controlling Indar has become a sort of "bragging rights" kind of thing which is as close to a meta game that we have. Noone gives a flying **** about who controls Esamir and Amerish, but somehow, Indar matters in at least a small and abstract way (to rival outfits at least)

At least, that's my take on it.
  19. DeadliestMoon

Wouldn't this give Eisa more importance?
  20. DeadliestMoon

How does Esamir favor infantry too much? It's still pretty good if you want to do tank vs tank battles. All the walls do is keep vehicles out so that infantry have a chance to fight other infantry too. The only way for tank drivers to not like that idea is if all they do is farm infantry, which isn't what they are for.
    • Up x 2