The absolute worst part of this game is the spawn rooms

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WorldOfForms, Oct 16, 2013.

1. WorldOfForms

I enjoy most of the gameplay PS2 has to offer. Most of the game works well enough for me to have a lot of fun. What utterly baffles me, though, is how the spawn room designs ever made it into the game, and how they haven't changed in any significant fashion since release.

Gameplay surrounding spawn rooms is TERRIBLE. It's embarrassing. Whenever I've managed to get a friend to play this game, the moment we push up to a spawn room and the camp begins, I start to feel embarrassed that I support this game and I start to worry when my friend will complain.

Just stop and think for a moment: they took one of the most hated elements of shooters - spawn camping - and made it the CENTRAL GAMEPLAY ELEMENT of this game.

Every single fight ends up at a point of spawn camping. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

And it's some of the worst "gameplay" I've ever experienced in a shooter.

The moment the camp begins, I leave the fight. The sad thing is, if everyone did what I do - that is, do what I need to have fun (leave) - then every base attack would fail.

In order to succeed at an attack, you have to not have fun for five minutes.

How can the PS2 devs expect to do the MLG thing with this design? There is no way, none at all, that competitive-minded "pro" gamers would ever put up with this.

How do you guys who stick around camping spawns not pull your hair out? It's awful.
    • Up x 15
  2. HadesR

I don't

I protect the cap point and circle the base for Infi's / drop pods
    • Up x 3
  3. Van Dax

spawn rooms have changed quite a bit.
    • Up x 2
  4. The Crimson Overlord

Wouldn't it make more sense to coordinate and play effectively as the defender to prevent this, OR to hide and play footsie with poor sods that run out of spawn as the attackers?
  5. WorldOfForms

Did they change the fact that every base fight ends up in a 5-10 minute spawn camping fest?

That's what I meant by "significant" changes. Windows and awnings don't count.
    • Up x 1
  6. Van Dax

changing the entire structure of the spawn room counts as significantly changing the spawn room design.
    • Up x 2
  7. WorldOfForms

Are you saying the players should change the way they play to fix a design problem?
    • Up x 1
  8. WorldOfForms

The problem is camping. Do you not agree? Do you enjoy the camping?

Has the camping been fixed?
  9. Pikachu

They should just make it so that if the attackers has 3/4 of the territory population the attackers should auto win. Or if the defenders don't manage to get 5 people 20m outside the spawn room and have them stay there for at least 1min. The waiting game is meaningless. If defenders are helpless then it should be over. The times where the defenders manage to gather some force from another base and help is practically non-existent.
    • Up x 3
  10. MFP_TK_01

Made a thread on my alter-forum-ego that you may like. You see the same problem that I do basically, with the capture point being the point of interest and yet the actual fight is across the courtyard at the spawn room.

So why not move the point into the spawn room?
  11. ViXeN

I don't understand how you think this can be avoided. Pretty much every FPS game has some form of spawn camping because its difficult to avoid. You have to spawn somewhere.
  12. NinjaTurtle

There needs to be more variety as to how you can exit the spawn. In a smaller base it may be more difficult but in the larger bases it should be easy to implement more tunnels.

For example you could link the AMP stations by tunnels or cave system to all of their out lying bases. Add more places around the base to exit not just a couple gravity lifts on the walls

You can't stop it but you can give more exit options to the defenders
    • Up x 4
  13. ViXeN

Then people would be complaining that bases are too difficult to take because defenders are always popping up everywhere in and around the base. :eek:
  14. Darkwulf

I agree with you. Spawn camping is dumb and you are correct every single fight ends up in a spawn camp.

If I am defending, I pull back to the next base and either set up a defense or regroup for a push.

But if you are attacking, sadly there is nothing to do but wait and camp the spawn room. I really hate that part of the game also and agree with you %100 on how stupid of a gameplay design it is.
    • Up x 2
  15. Dark-Odin

Ninja is completely right when he/she says that the bases need more exits. I'm fine with spawn camping however when the defender is limited to their exits it means the attackers with overwhelming numbers can focus their might on those few areas, this goes for all bases even those with the current teleporter rooms added to spawns. In some cases the teleporter room is practically opposite the original spawn building, in what universe is that logical the enemy only need to look in one direction to lock the defenders down.

What bases need is more teleport rooms/tunnel systems with added cover around those areas to break Line of sight and enable good angles, what this achieves is if the huge zerg or overwhelming force wishs to camp they must do so by splitting their forces up giving a small squad chance to push and monoplise on that fact or the attacking force could focus their force around the point.

Base design in this game is terrible, you may not stop camping but you can put extra risk to doing so.
    • Up x 2
  16. MorganM

I don't particularly hate the spawn camping from either side but it is boring and has little to do with skill.

I love spawn rooms with teleporters and multiple exits. At least you have a chance. It just seems that the useful idiots don't camp the alternative exits like they do the main exits. Sure SOME people do but you and a couple people stand a fighting chance to get past them. Running out the front door where you stand no chance is futile.

I also think how Tech Plants and SCUs work now is a good way to deal with it. If you can't muster a defense good enough to hold the SCU off before the base is 3/4 capped... you lost... drop the shields and the spawn room gets cleaned out. People instanty know "yep, it's over... regroup and reposite or defend the next base". This mechanic at least minimizes the time spent camping. Honestly they could just flip the base over to the attackers by then IMHO because the fight is over. Why do we have to stand around for another 2 minutes now with NOBODY to shoot at? Lets just move on.

Changing the tower shields to not allow any projectiles through any direction is a good move too. Now you can't just farm from inside. You want to get a kill? Get out of the carebear zone and make the effort soldier!
  17. MFP_TK_01

That's the terrible logic of gamers for you. And I have no doubt that given a chance they would try to cover multiple spawn rooms and exits rather than form a line at one capture point.
  18. ViXeN

Sure maybe the bases could use some extra ways to exit but you know i'm right too. No matter what changes the devs make to the game, people are going to complain. And i'm not just talking about the spawn system, I mean everything. I have been on this forum for months now and its just been a constant and endless stream of complaining about one thing after another the entire time. Just like on every other game I have played in recent years. The gaming community is never happy. Its like Grumpy Cat. :eek:
  19. Gavyne

We don't need to reinvent the wheels, just look at how other games deal with spawning. Battlefield games for an example, the spawn spot is an "area", rather than a room. The game prevents attackers from getting into that area, as it will kill you if you cross that line. Because the spawn area is much larger than a room, it makes camping more difficult. They also give people more exits. People spawning get a better chance of getting out or organizing a counter attack force.

The spawn rooms in planetside 2 is a death room. I tend to agree with the OP that this is an aspect of the game that's on my top 3 list of things that I hate about this game. I really dislike the amount of time camping or being camped. It doesn't matter if I'm on the side camping, or on the side being camped, to me they're equally lame. I find myself alt-tabbing out during this time because I know there's really not going to be much action. I like my FPS games action packed.

I wish all fights are like the tower battles where defenders have multiple exits on multiple levels, and attackers have to get creative when sieging it. Whoever designed the tower bases need to be given the nod to design future bases when new content is released. Unfortunately most of the times battles are not at a tower base, so I find myself getting bored camping or being camped at the spawn rooms. This is my all time top 3 complaints I have about this game, fixing this issue will be huge to improving my enjoyment for this game.

Thinking back, I started complaining about spawn rooms back in December 2012. They've changed them somewhat over the past year, but they're still pretty much the same. In my opinion step #1 would be to add tunnels and alternate exits to all spawn rooms. Step #2 would be to make spawn rooms a much larger area, in a way that it can't easily be camped and spammed.
    • Up x 1
  20. ironeddie

I'd still be happy to see all spawn rooms removed from the game.
    • Up x 3