Avast Antivirus blocking recent Oct16th update

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MisterBond, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MisterBond

Just putting it out there that Avast is blocking Planetside 2's update process, and to disable avast before trying to install the patch
    • Up x 5
  2. MisterBond

Also this information was given to me by McToast if you wish to give the person who found this out credit
  3. CharlieTwoZero

search the forum plz, before making a new thread
  4. SLiCKRiCK

I'm running into the same problem. Can you post the steps on how to fix this?
  5. MisterBond

Click the Security tab at the top

Click File system in the right window

Click Settings

Goto Exclusions

In the right window, click browse, browse to your Planetside 2 folder, click ok, then click ok again and close the last window
  6. MisterBond

Avast didn't block Planetside 2 till now, today it is, thus, I am letting SOE know about it

Relax dude
  7. IndX

Looks like it is indeed a false positive with Avast. Clean scan with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Pro, and SUPERAntiSpyware.
  8. Aoikazego

I wonder why the code suddenly became intrusive to cause avast to flag it
  9. Lazaruz

There's always something... one can only imagine what kind of clusterfarss the optimization patch will be if this is what happens now.
  10. SLiCKRiCK

Thanks I was able to figure it out. I think I have a newer version (2014 version), so the steps are a little different.

Settings > Active Protection > File System Shield > Exclusions. Then add the PS2 directory. Then it works.
  11. o.Solei.o

Given that this is a new problem and there are no other threads on it on the front page, it deserves its own thread. If there was another similar problem for other users before, the fact that this is a separate issue introduced with this patch for many users (i.e. first time I've encountered it since tech-test), it deserves its own thread.

The forums are a place for the exchange of information. We can't help you if the clutter makes it difficult for you to live here.
    • Up x 2
  12. cykro

Get exact same issue. I want to hear that their update servers are 100% clean or that Avast has confirmed this to be a false positive. Adding exceptions is never a good idea.
  13. Airazor

I have the same issue too guys! I literally just installed the patch from the launch and it blocked 2 files. I hope it's nothing :)
  14. InsaneLinguist

I am having the exact same problem. SOE have said it's a false positive, but until there's an official confirmation from Avast that this is the case I am not creating an exception (never a good idea). Let's just hope this gets sorted out quickly.
    • Up x 1
  15. Xebulon

Same problem and i don´t want creating an exception. Game over for me ?
    • Up x 1
  16. sagolsun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/110110-sonybmg-rootkit-fsecure-drm.html

For the rest of my life, I'll have the association that Sony = company policy is it's OK to install rootkits on your customer's PC, as long as they don't know about it.

Yes yes, SOE is fairly independant. Probably a false alarm. My guess is it's some new anti-cheat module triggering the heuristics. If that's the case, I can't wait till somebody does an analysis.
  17. MajiinBuu

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, but I still have the same problem.
    I've tried making exceptions, I even tried turning off real-time protection. Nothing works.
    • Up x 1
  18. Cremmy

I excluded the folder, ran the game once, then restarted the computer and scanned the drive planetside 2 is on. The antivirus found 2 more files in temp folders with the same virus that just cropped up. This is why i have now deleted planetside 2.exe and will not run it until SOE fixes this!
  19. Simferion

Open Avast and look for Web Protection
    Go to Settings then Exclusions. Browse and add both Launchpad.exe and planetside2.exe

You should have solved.
  20. karuta

Well, it's less the problem that heuristic protection blocks it. It's more like the problem that there MIGHT - just might - be a chance of being a real threat that was found by the software and without any information from either the dev of the AV tool or from SOE it isn't the safest idea to just white list the POTENTIAL (even if not very likely) threat
    • Up x 2