My bids for the ES sniper rifles.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sossen, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sossen

TR: Burst sniper, three shots along the same vector in a quick succession.

NC: Extremely high bullet velocity, bolt action.

VS: No bullet drop, semi auto.
  2. IamDH

TR: Sniper that locks on to the head and unleashes 40 bullets

NC: Shotgun sniper. Weak at range

VS: Charge sniper, does no damage. Has no bullet drop
    • Up x 19
  3. Ghosty11

Interesting but sounds a little too good. OP is not something the TR needs right now.

So in essence a no drop Bolt Action.

The VS have these already why would they want another?
  4. Ghosty11

Are you sure that you aren't part of the SOE PS2 development team?;)
    • Up x 9
  5. IamDH

Lol

I should of said that it has a strange habit of clipping thru terrain. Damn it there goes my job application :)
    • Up x 1
  6. Regpuppy

If they manage to put shotguns in our snipers so we can shotgun while we snipe. Well, my mind might just explode.
  7. IamDH

Need railgunz

Some super duper magnet-propelled bullet that can travel at 2kmph
    • Up x 1
  8. Tommyp2006

I truly am not sure what they are going to do with the new ES Sniper rifles they have been previewing on command center. What niche role is there really left for sniper rifles to fulfill? We already have semi autos, and bolt actions, some with higher velocity, damage, etc. I really am thinking that these will be some kind of Anti Armor sniper rifles, as that's really the only role left for them to fulfill, unless they plan on making boring copies of other rifles already out, or making flat out upgrades to the current top tier bolt actions, like the already did when they released the RAMS/Longshot/Parallax.
  9. Sossen

Totally depends on the RPM and the time between bursts. Could be balanced quite easily.

Yes and no - less bullet drop than current snipers by a small margin, but still there. Higher bullet velocity, up to 700-800 m/s, would help a lot. It could be balanced by RPM, magazine size of three etc.

VS sniper rifles do have bullet drop. The only "sniper" that doesn't is the Eidolon, but it is a completely different weapon in comparison to the ones available to infiltrators. This proposed design would have no bullet drop and a reasonable bullet velocity.
  10. Snoozzzer

NC...gauss rifle...hmm...so a guy in a lab fired projectiles at 5000m/s in the 70's...and planetside is based several centuries later...So can our Longshots be essentially hitscan weapons, like the lore's tech would suggest?

oh, and we already have ES sniper rifles - all sniper rifle stats are the same.
  11. Tytos

This pretty much sounds like something the PS2 team would come up with, because **** balance as "it would be cool" as an argument always seems to win against basic logic.
    • Up x 2
  12. IamDH

Or they could make them unique

Idk... Give them abilities or something
    Locking down would be pretty useful as a sniper
  13. Van Dax

VS semi autos have zero bullet drop, this includes the spectre, phantom, eidolon, and nyx.

this is an unoriginal idea.
  14. Lucidius134

The Spectre and Phantom don't have drop. (Semi-auto Sniper RIfle). The Eidolon is a battle rifle. The Nyx and Artemis don't have bullet drop (Scout Rifles).

No idea where you got that from
  15. GhostAvatar

So a burst version of the scout rifles. Scout rifles are not the best weapons in the game by a long shot and are generally a niche weapon. Burst weapons generally are worse than their counterparts, except when used in their specific niche. A combination of both these things isn't going to get anyone hot under the collar.

Yeah, lets make essentially a hitscan weapon for all those aimbotters... derp.

One's face is in one's palm reading this.
  16. Sossen

Damn it, so every time a VS player told me that they do have bullet drop that was a lie? I feel so betrayed.

I know for sure that they do have drop on the bolt actions since that's all I use, I never got around to using a semi on my VS alt.
    • Up x 1
  17. Enchman

All bolt actions, including VS, have drop. All other VS guns have the no drop trait.
  18. Booface

The VS semi autos are mostly bad and most VS infiltrators avoid them except as close range silenced battle rifles (a suspect plan at best). So VS snipers mostly overwhelmingly use the bolt actions, which do have identical stats and drop. That's probably why most VS would say "our snipers have drop."
  19. S1eB

Do not make the VS specific sniper rifle fire charged rounds or make it semi auto.

Having to charge a sniper rifle is a bad idea, you have to be able to fire off shots really fast when sniping. Having to wait for it to charge before you can fire is just going to make you miss 90% of your shots.

As for semi autos, semi auto sniping is not true sniping. The reason I like sniping is because there is a certain level of still to it. Semi autos take away the skill and are just spam type weapons.

All I want out of the new sniper rifles is a guaranteed OHK with a headshot from any distance regardless of NW lvl 5.
  20. Van Dax

VS don't use the semis because they have even more damage degredation, nanoweave can make it a three headshot kill.