DEVs listen to your player-base. Stop obsessing over nerfing the "reverse" maneuver.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NoXousX, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Stewart

Please hurry with the nerf so the planes actually fly like planes. If you would make it where planes could not hover except to takeoff and land the air battle would be so much better.
    • Up x 1
  2. carlb

Anyone that fly's seriously knows this is a bad idea. Not only will it make it harder for new pilots, it ruins the 'meta' of anyone that currently fly's for a living. Nerf the reverse thrust? Ok I'll run A2A missles all day... boring as ****. Noxous has it right, the 'pros' will farm the newbs and still win, it gains nothing at all in this respect. If you don't fly, don't comment.
    • Up x 1
  3. Phrygen

We needed another thread about this. I think we should put the next one in the outfit recruitment forum.
    • Up x 6
  4. SpetV

I wouldn't mind this change if the T2 Stryker would be removed or nerfed and the new lock on system will be added.
  5. Selentic

dear soe: please hire someone who actually knows the air game
    • Up x 1
  6. Mr_Giggles

No he's correct, sharks can not swim backwards. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  7. Drealgrin

It's not even a nerf. I'm not sure what the complaint is. It's just changing how you fly.

The change is very welcome on this end. It suits the way i kill enemies very well. Not over relying on derpidy vertical thrusters (not to mention them being fairly weak on a scythe to begin with)
    • Up x 2
  8. Grayson

Whats the point changing it now? I mean it's been there for almost a year (?) now....
    Because the devs, new ppl cant do this SIMPLE thing that doesn't mean that it needs to be nerfed by Nerfmaster Higby-san..
    I don't want to see circle j*rking in the sky all day.....this isn't battlefield or world of warplanes....this is a "FUTURISTIC" shooter.
    • Up x 2
  9. Phazaar

The reason is called physics. If you don't understand it, I suggest you simply look at all the other things that don't have any reasons and are crucial gameplay mechanics in other games... Bunnyhopping (TRUE bunnyhopping, not jumping in the air to avoid bullets), Skiing, Rocket jumping etc. These kind of unique mechanics are what make games great.

ESF combat is -worthless- without the reverse manoeuvre. It's beyond boring, and is essentially 'who started higher than the other player' or 'who was behind the other player'. It will actually get new pilots killed -far- faster than they currently are. If a new pilot wants to avoid the instant death when I drop on his tail, it'll take him 5 minutes to learn the reverse manoeuvre in the warpgate and then he can level the playing field... Without, he has to get the kind of situational awareness, and recognition of each ESF's engine sounds, that it takes months to produce, otherwise he's just meat to the slaughter.

If they remove it, they need to more than double the speed of ESFs, and turn them into STOVL strike fighters, so there's at least semblance of skill left in the speed you can fly close to the ground...
  10. Zombekas

Pilots listen to your developers. Stop obsessing over using the "reverse" maneuver.
    • Up x 1
  11. SinerAthin

The thought that the Devs made the air combat in Planetside 2 great by _accident_ amuses me, as is the case with the Reverse Maneuver.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ravenorth

All I see in these threads are pilots whining, because they no longer can be jack of all trades by using lolpods for AG and reverse maneuver for AA. I´m not a pilot, but its sounds like a great change, because its basically splits them to AA and AG, the very same choice that every ground vehicle has to do.

ESF being jack of all trades was a bad design flaw from the very start and should had never existed in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  13. Pixelshader

Rocket pods were a mistake, yes. Now they are being effectively removed from the game. Maybe this can lead to anti air unit nerfs to suit the new air game.

These threads are only popping up because on the pts the reverse is nerfed into the ground WITHOUT the new afterburner tanks being there. It is unsettling.
  14. tproter

Some gamers actually do have a life outside of games (work, family, sports, hobbies,etc.). We don't have the time or inclination to devote hundreds of hours to learning a secondary set of maneuvers just to have fun and remain "competitive".

SOE needs to decide once and for all is Planetside 2 for a diehard core set of gamers or for the casual gaming public at large. Based on my posts, I'm a member of the latter group and won't touch Planetside 2 if SOE should decide in favor of the former group.
  15. Aki

I'm sick of all these so called ace pilot crying and whining.
    If you have any skill, it will not vanish by magic. If you're an exploiter, then you'll suck. Deal with it.
    Time to put your money where your mouth is.
    Also, lolpodder excepted, you may find it more fun in the long run
    • Up x 1
  16. Nkrisc

If this maneuver is the only thing making you a good pilot you're a terrible pilot. All good pilots will still be good and you'll still be bad.

Also don't conflate "whiny minority" with "user base".
    • Up x 1
  17. Cougarbrit

If you've never flown an ESF before, please remove yourself from this thread as you clearly will have no idea how important the reverse maneuver is in making this a fun game to fly in.

SOE needs to at the very least, tone down the nerf from going down to a 2x modifier back up to a 5x modifier, certable through the AB pods back up to 8x like they currently intend to do with the AB. 2x is just uselessly slow and has drained all the fun from the maneuver.

To put it into terms some infantry guys might understand, nerfing away the reverse manuever is basically taking away the ability of Drifter jets to skim over the ground, or for vehicle guys, it's basically removing Turbo from the Harasser. You'll still be able to use Drifter jets and Harassers, but one of the most fun things about them is being removed.
  18. Accuser

This update will not cause ESFs to fly like planes. Instead of reversing, the planes will just stay relatively still, fighting nose-to-nose.
    I wouldn't mind if ESFs did fly like planes and only hovered 50m above ground level... but that's not what they're doing here.

The horrible fact is that good pilots will continue to trounce bad pilots, no matter how the Devs try to change that. Even if lockons allow you to instagib an enemy plane when you first see them with zero skill, the experienced pilots will still use better situational awareness and teamwork to dominate the sky. The only difference will be that people who enjoy a challenging flight experience will quit the game. And people like me who just want to win at any cost (within the rules) will keep shooting down the people who didn't even take the time to watch the tutorials.
  19. allattar

Stop with the logical fallacies. Some serious pilots like reverse, the rest of us think its ********. Dont assume you speak for all dedicated flyers, or even only the good ones.
    These posts the so called 733t make basically make the same point. Its the emperors new clothes, those who agree with you are good pilots, those who disagree are bad pilots. That is crap.

Reverse is now a crutch, its the only maneuouver some of you think of to shake an enemy pilot. Well thats not quite true, your other assumption is that without reverse the only thing you can do is circle. Both of these are wrong.

The other wrong assumption is that reverse is the only way to deal with a2a missiles.

I can shake pilots on my tail without reverse, i can deal with a2a missiles. Thats not to say i wont get caught out, of course i get shot down. But theres more to flying than circling and reversing.
  20. vanu123

The problem is that it is not about turning or using different maneuvers, the problem is that THE ONLY WAY to win a dogfight is to reverse maneuver better than the other pilot. It is already somewhat bland because 1 maneuver is all you need to win. If you take that out then you have an infinite number of possible maneuvers you can do to get on your enemy's tail. DEATH TO THE REVERSE MANEUVER.