DEVs listen to your player-base. Stop obsessing over nerfing the "reverse" maneuver.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NoXousX, Aug 15, 2013.

1. NoXousX

It plays a critical role in ESF maneuverability, and changing it is doing nothing but anger experienced pilots in the game. I'm at a loss at this point and why you aren't EMBRACING it. Seriously, you need to embrace it. Without hover mode, your ESF combat is nothing special, in fact it gets old fast. This manever breathes light into ALL aspects of ESF combat. Without it Planetside ESF combat will be bland.

The "reverse maneuver" (which is a terrible description by the way because it describes one maneuver out of countless that can be performed) isn't some mystical elite pilot maneuver. It's simply hover-mode afterburning while pitching your nose down. It's used by all sorts of players.

I don't even no what else to say. You guys have been set on nerfing "good" pilots for months and forcing ESF specialization. All you are doing is increasing the skill gap further. Who is going to run a nose-gun/burner loadout? Skilled pilots. Who isn't? Bad pilots. Who's going to get farmed even harder? Bad pilots, meanwhile I'll be buzzing around killing more players than ever, probably uncontested.
    • Up x 25
  2. Sen7rygun

Shut your pie hole, sharks don't swim backwards!
    • Up x 14
  3. SNAFUS

I almost feel like they are just taking a shot in the dark on this change. There are going to be so many more new or bad pilots who will be simply slaughtered by the veteran pilots. And if they can't access current vertical thrust without fuel pods then my video is a great example of what is to come for Ace pilots.
  4. Chipay

Actually, most fish can swim backwards (the eel being a prime example), not that there is an efficient reason for them to do so, but they can.
  5. AnuErebus

Only problem with the reverse maneuver is that it's not super intuitive for new players. If they want to do anything to level the playing field they should make it easier to use (Such as allowing a toggle to keep the ESF in hover mode). If more people can comfortably use the reverse maneuver then I think the air game will get a lot more interesting because more pilots will be able to fly competitively against each other. Lowering the skill floor is a lot better alternative to dropping the skill ceiling.
    • Up x 1
  6. Zenanii

Isn't their goal to separate A2A and A2G esf, to make it more of an active choice? Right now skilled pilots have no problem running pods + rotary and performing both A2A and A2G. Restricting the reverse manouver to players equipped with the fuel pods seems like a reasonable change ro achive this.
    • Up x 5
  7. TheJosephChrist

If they removed hover from A2G ESF from the beginning people wouldn't have whined so hard for A2G missles to be nerfed into uselessness.
  8. Yetskii

This reminds me of the NC ScatterMax whining that resulted in them becoming a joke.
    • Up x 4
  9. Tommyp2006

If they are trying to make make the reverse maneuver a2a only, and need fuelpods to do it, then whats the point in these new a2a esf weapons that take away fuel pods?
    • Up x 1
  10. UberBonisseur

Command center quote
    Discuss
  11. Gunho

Another patch, another NC nerf, another buff for TR and VS.

Ae we seeing a pattern here?

I see a poopstain called SOE... but please keep the striker/vulcan/zoe/maruader/fractures op as it is... not gamebreaking at all...

I think the Phoenix could use another nerf... it is actually able to kill sumething...with its 750 damage.. lol seriously.. this is becoming a big joke game run by silly people with silly ideas all running in a TR outfit.

Lets create mega size icons and place them over the vehicles in the distance... "YEAAH GOOD IDEA!!!".

Another costumer/player lost.
  12. Scudmungus

Actually, most ESF can't swim backwards.
  13. Gheeta

At this point i'm convinced they have no clue what to do with fighters. I'm quite certain they will end up doing irreparable damage to the air game. In the latest command center higby said he will be contacting some top tier pilots so all hope is not lost yet, i just hope those who end up getting contacted can convince the developers to stop fixing things that are not broken.

This has been said over and over again but at this point only way to avoid a complete disaster is to be vocal about it.

Common misconception about reverse maneuver is that it is one single trick you pull when in reality it allows you to fly backwards and pull all the maneuvers you would pull flying forward. Some people think it is a straight i win button which is false, the plane getting the jump on you will have the advantage even if you pull the the reverse. Now some people are thinking then how come the player pulling the reverse still wins when i get the jump on him? Chances are the pilot you are flying against has flown and practiced flying 10 times the amount you have and as a result has much high accuracy than you.

Do we really wan't air game where you can not fight back when you get jumped? Because that is exactly what will happen if the reverse is nerfed. Those who played beta know how shallow the game is without the reverse maneuver.

Now one thing that was talked about was limiting the reverse to after burner pods. This would essentially force everyone to pick AB pods. How is this better than the current implementation where having he AB pods give you an advantage but the player which does not have them still can fight back?
  14. ChrisEarth

Let's all fly backwards just by pressing "S" or nobody.
    I don't see the point, why an airplane with rear thrusters should fly backwards as fast as forwards.
    Sounds like bug using to me and not skilled pilots.
    • Up x 2
  15. lothbrook

Anything to make ESF pilots lives more miserable i'm all for, they're too cheap and can kill anything in the game, other than swarms of infantry with AA.
    • Up x 2
  16. NinjaTurtle

Maybe what they should be doing is basing reverse thrust on the airframe you load out with.

I can understand nerfing the move they want to make giving you a hard choice to make with your load, well you have it right here.

- Dogfighting gives you the current reverse thrust with 0% reduction..... Great for AA

- Hover at max rank should give you the ability to actually hover like a Lib, whilst reducing reverse thrust by 75%..... Good if you want to go A2G

- Racer should increase your speed another 20kph whilst making locks harder, whilst reducing reverse thrust by 75%....... Great if you want to run away :p

I am a below average pilot and I can perform the maneuver easily, so I fail to understand why others can't
    • Up x 1
  17. Chipay

Good thinking right here, Scythes should be the only ESF able to do this since they're the only ESF with Thrusters on the bottom
    /troll
  18. allattar

I fly a lot, I love flying. I hate reverse thrust.
    I think its ******** that ESFs can go so bloody fast backwards. Reducing the backwards thrust is a good change in my opinion.
    • Up x 2
  19. Hoki

Obsessing? Obsessing is when you cannot stop worrying/posting about the same thing every single day.

They just observed how dogfights are fought and noticed that vertical thrust is too effective.
    • Up x 1
  20. Metallic123

Post nerf SKILLED PILOTS WILL STILL BE SKILLED PILOTS. Learn to adapt or go play another game, maybe world of warplanes will let you fly backwards. (lol)
    • Up x 2