Why isn't there rage at SOE's phasing out of combined arms?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jachim, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Goretzu

Well they likely Zerged, which isn't really the same thing.

Which is really the problem, at least when you're Zerged you can fight back a little if it's infantry vs infantry (even when vastly outnumbered).

If it's 100 tanks + lolpods vs infantry not so much.

"Combined arms" whatever it is supposed to mean in a computer game doesn't beat Zergs.
  2. Menelek

Can we at least have the period you can stay out of your tank extended to 20 min, now that they cost an arm and a kidney ?
    • Up x 1
  3. W0rthy

"phasing out combined arms" They aren't.

The OP's platoon were the vehicle zerg kind who were used to steamrolling every installation without even getting out of their vehicles to do so. And seemed to think this was more than ok based on "well vehicles should kill infantry easily, that's realistic" and other such arguments.

So before esamir change air and armor columns like the OP's could capture a base without even getting out of their vehicles. And infantry being camped at spawn or on the points had little chance to stop the shelling. Only at certain chokepoints, and where terrain allowed for hillcover did you have a reasonable chance to reduce their numbers.

So the "superior tactics" became rolling a large enough vehicle zerg. And calling people complaining about it newbs who just needed to get better. This vehicleside 2 for organized outfits apparently was ok for those in the vehicles.

They also changed the bases on indar so this is less of the case, but there's still some work to be done obviously.

But now.. the gamechanger on esamir hit..

Vehicles in general have an easy time dominating infantry in other areas of the continents. Saying otherwise is a direct lie. Only by working together in groups do infantry have a chance against vehicles and air.

From the perspective of infantry it's not so much fun being killed by 10 camping tanks 5x in a row before even getting a chance to fire at enemy infantry. Making it almost impossible to defend the base when tanks and aircrafts were around. This combined arms of tank/air zerg THAT DID NOT NEED INFANTRY TO BE EFFECTIVE that denied lockons and aa maxes was a massive gameplay problem. And ended battles quickly and too easily without much effort, that could have otherwise been glorious.

After esamir change, infantry is also a requirement to capture a base, and infantry can defend pretty decently against armor and air if not challenged by regular infantry aswell. How is that a bad thing? Combined arms include infantry you do realize this right?

So you come here acting like they are phasing out tanks because you can no longer shell the points and spawncamp them without even getting out of your vehicle? And saying "oh cod newbs want deathmatch (big infantry fights)".. whilst you where quite happy to sit shelling a base getting 100 kills in 20 minutes with minimal risk to yourself.

Don't like the change? well get used to it, because the change is awesome for the overall gameplay, and your "but soe you promised us combined arms" argument is a complete joke. In no way are tanks and aircrafts useless. I cycle between them and infantry when necessary and their usefullness is just as it was before.

I look forward to them doing the same thing to amerish and indar, and making the installations even more complex.

If you don't like it, and think that combined arms means vehicles should be able to kill everyone at any base.. then i heard about this game called world of tanks, you might like it.
  4. Aisar

I am not raging over it, I simply cancelled my sub and cut my play time from 4-8 hours a day to 1 hour a day. Only problem is now I need a new MMO to spend my time on HA.
    • Up x 3
  5. TerryTenMen

You only play in zergs so it's no wonder you love the new lattice on Esamir. Dumbing down the gameplay is obviously going to get the thumbs up from people like you.
    • Up x 2
  6. ent|ty

Thats what I feel like, I play 'just because'. If I had full refund, it would be uninstalled today. Since I've paid up for the next 12 months, might as well see what happens, even if I hate the game so ******* much now. :D
    • Up x 3
  7. ent|ty

Also, many bases are surrounded by hills that the attackers can still use to rain down hell on the defenders below.
    There are literally half or more of the bases, where even the spawn is blocked in, and defenders cannot even scale the same hills in order to get a view of what's going on.
    I really can't stand it. Can't see ****, always struggling to climb up and jump up a slope to get LOS, and walls that block LOS that also don't allow me up there.
  8. ent|ty

Yep, KDRs vary with different playstyles, but are still a good measure whether someone is being successful at their chosen task/goal.

I mainly fight and target tanks and vehicles, and have to deal with the angry occupants coming after me as a result.
    My KDR is lower than perhaps others in situations, but it still is in the positive range, because I am attaining my goal of taking out vehicles and damaging them for the assists as well, while staying alive.

The KDR suffers from having HE shells and spam nearby,etc.
    Sometimes I'll go on long killstreaks, but it gets all balanced out by the times I get OHK'd by my vehicular targets.

KDR counts. Those who want to deny it, just have crappy KDR that they are embarrassed by.
  9. Jachim

Our platoon has usually at most 5-6 tanks, usually less to ensure everyone has a 'pair' to gun/tank and then swap when one dies.

If you really think that armor dominates infantry you need to really take a look at the game as it stands right now. The ONLY TIME you see a massive amount of armor is when a zerg piles into a base THEY ALREADY WON and everyone and their mother pulls some armor because they can. The armor didn't capture that base. The infantry did. The armor in fact slows down the allied force as everyone jostles to get out of the base, find ways to not bumper-car their way to the next base, and then meet whatever resistance there they develop a giant roadblock, so people try to go around, get stuck in ditches, etc etc. The armor ZERG is suddenly dead, and it's back to fighting in infantry form.

During the actual battling between two sides, especially during outfit play, armor is vaporized because there are just so many infantry on the battlefield that you cannot get any firing line without being instagibbed by infantry fire. You CAN NOT keep a good position, it's obliterated by enemy AV/AA fire, or if it's a sundy you're trying to cover for your 3-4 squads of infantry, it's some solo-play drop podder with C4 or mines to blow it up. Or worse, it's a squad of drop podders, and your once again scrambling to setup another offensive position.

This is completely wrong. Armor needs to play a larger role, and it needs to be COMPLETELY RETHOUGHT to make successful.
    • Up x 4
  10. skumtanten

All u guys that say that u have/had a problem with tank zerg spawn camping u, u SUCK. My ****ing question is: WHY ARE U THERE ? WHY ARE U NOOB AND LETING YOURSELF GET SPAWNCAMPED? Learn tactics. If a base is overrunned by tanks go to next base and put up defense or a ambush. USE tanks mines, use rocket launcher or engi AT turrets. USE YOUR DAME mine. When u hae destroyed the tank that are sooooooo easy to destory (your words) then puch back and take back the base. Is it hard? NOOOO.

BUT skumtanten i am a farmer and are alone what shall do against? I will tell you what too do. JOIN A OUTFIT. Learn too play in a group. A Squad can take out a tankzerg anyday of the week. So insteed of sitting in he forums complaning all days get in the game and learn how to cont enemy tactic.

IF u want to get some goodtips how too fight a tankzerg see this clip:
    And if that isnt enough u can always talk too me ingame and learn more how to be a good ps2 player.
    Conclusion: The new uppdate with almoste all uppdates for ps2 is for the lonelywolf out there.New Esamir=bad for combined arms gameplay. IF there is problem in this game blame your noob tactics.

With all my love Skumtanten Broken Arrow Company (BAWC) Ceres
    P.s my native language is not english so sorry for all my grammar and spelling!
    • Up x 1
  11. Tow2Bravo

No more coffee for you tonight.
    • Up x 2
  12. vincent-

Just wait for the resource revemp you will get your tank warfair.
  13. W0rthy

What you describe are players who are not good at using MBT's, there's no easy way to say it. And tank users might be like that on the server you play on, but not where i play.

Good mbt users can drive around with a 25+ kd in the session with 200+ kills. Dying to AV turrets means you didn't kill it when it fired back or took cover in time, aka you drove/aimed the main gun like a novice.

And ESF's well just look at daddy who's basically esf only since planetside 2 launched and has a 47kd.. esf's are so ridiculously easy even in esf's current state, you can get 30 - 0 stats in 14 minutes without a problem if you have infantry support on the spot or critical mass numbers (around 8-10 esf's seems to be enough) so they can't use lockons or bursters without dying immediately. And a single ESF flown by a good pilot can pretty much contain 6-8 players in their base unless 2 or more use burster maxes.

Tanks, esf and libs are easymode, why? Because their ttk is so extremely low that in case of ESF if it isn't OHK it feels like it. And tanks OHK everything that isn't maxes or other vehicles/turrets. If you train your aim you can go on amazing killstreaks in MBT's, you don't even need HE rounds at all, ap and heat are far more effective. With ap which has the highest projectile velocity, if you hit the infantry, it's dead.. there is NO counter to it like flack 5, doesn't matter. When camping spawns on indar, you can get like 15 kills in 3-4 minutes with ap. Done it several times. And when pushing forward on terrain you become a sniper, killing infiltrators with ease, or turret users/maxes/lockons trying to pop over the hill. One very good tank/esf users can pretty much take out/function as a whole squad of people. And this only gets worse via critical mass (10+ mbt's/10+ esf's, where they support eachother and it becomes ridiculously hard/almost impossible for infantry to organize coordinated fire)

Thus since their potential to dominate is so ridiculously high in the hands of very skilled players, they should not be able to shell any area of a base especially not control points and spawns, If anything ESF's a2g capabilities with regards to non max infantry, needs to be toned down. Even with daddy being top killer/score in the game, apparently soe are still oblivious to the OP'ness of ESF's a2g. (tip, triple nosegun ttk on infantry, and double rocket pod ttk, so that ESF's fight tanks/air more instead of infantry, and leave the infantry to the lib bombers.)

Your claims of vehicles lack of viability is a complete joke. And the change with the walls was a very good change.
  14. TerryTenMen

You spend loads of time in vehicles yet your k/d is rubbish? Sounds like you are 1 of these novices you are describing
  15. Phazaar

Because 95% of us that got PS2 for combined arms left at any one of the previous 13 patches that have actively undermined the whole principle of the game, instead replacing it with Counter-Duty-Field-Deathmatch-side.

If I'm going to play BF, I'm going to play BF, not Sony's interpretation. They haven't got anything else right ever, why would I continue to invest with them in a product I can already get a better version of elsewhere? 2142 forever. Fact.
    • Up x 1
  16. Zenanii

The whole "combined arms" concept kinda fell flat on its face, considering no one sems to enjoy fighting anything other then their counterpart.

Tanks hate fighting lock-ons, AV turrets, C4 and AV maxes
    Tanks hate fighting rocketpods and liberators
    Infantry hate fighting HE/HEAT tanks and furies
    Infantry hate fighting rocketpods and liberators
    Air hate fighting lock-ons and burster maxes
    Air hate fighting skyguards and tank shells.

From personal experience and from reading these forums, most people seem to find the most enjoyment in fighting their counterpart (or completely one-sided farming). Sad as it is, dome shields and 10 meter walls might be the best solution. Or at lest the easiest...
  17. LT_Latency

They are not complaining because it's not gone.

I only play on esmair now and I fight tanks, infantry and planes all day long
  18. Jachim

Sorry, your giant thread is entirely invalidated because you've decided the 'kd' stat is at all important.

I can get more kills as infantry per hour than I can as tank. Easily. Sure, I die more, but I get way better score and way more kills.
    • Up x 1
  19. Jachim

Yes but WHAT IS THE POINT to tanks just sitting outside bases now being useless?

Esamir is simply an example of the endemic problem here. Quit using the 'oh well I saw a tank so obviously Combined Arms is just fine' argument.
    • Up x 1
  20. Major

The solution to this issue is to put a fence around the walls, and a moat around the fence, and more walls around that, we must segregate the entire game because of the ghost cappers.

Planetside 2 apartheid YAY, or something, must be some great crack somewhere.