Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sock

Revive mechanics in their current state are absolutely broken. Not in the sense that they don't work. They do work, and far too well. One medic has unlimited potential to bring back as many players as they can get too, without any sort of regulation through cooldown. Guns have ammo, engineer tools overheat, but the medic gun has unlimited ammo and no cooldown mechanic to keep it in check. I'd like to see one real justification for that.

A revive should be a luxury, not expected every time you die. You got yourself killed, whether it was through poor positioning or simply getting outgunned. By all means, you should be revivable, however it shouldn't be as easy as it is now. This is an FPS, deaths should carry weight. Not in the sense of stats, that's a non-issue. When you die, you've been removed from the fight. It is far too easy in the current state of the game to bring players back into the fight. This makes everything an issue of numbers and devalues player skill. How is it reasonable that I kill four people and die to a fifth who happens to be a medic, and in less than ten seconds he has all of those players back on their feet at full health?

PS1 had a great revive mechanic that made medics extremely valuable. Good medics in PS1 were good players, not just players using a good class. Revives were slower and didn't have the crazy range they do now. You could absolutely save the day with clutch revives, but if you tried to do it in the middle of a firefight you'd be a goner. Revives should happen once your squad has cleared the area, as it is now there are far too many medics that do absolutely nothing but run around spamming revives on anyone they see.

There are plenty of simple ways to fix this. Cause reviving to use up a portion of your ability bar, limiting the number of revives you can perform in a short time. Or put a short cooldown on a player's ability to accept revives, so you can't be repeatedly revived and killed in a short period. Extend the time it takes to revive so you have to actually consider whether or not you're in a good position to revive.

Simply put, make the medic class require skill to play again, because right now it's a joke.
    • Up x 16
  2. Eyeklops

I agree. 1 medic should not be able to revive a full squad in 15 seconds. I would personally like to see "heat" added to the medic gun, where at max level, the medic can revive maybe 2 players and after that he/she has to wait like 10 seconds (15? balance point) for the gun to cool down enough for any consecutive revives after that.

I also think that MAX units revive way too fast. Currently a top level medic can run into a room and revive a max in just over standard TTK. Doing the medic "dance" easily raises his/her TTK past that of the revive time of the MAX, not cool. Reviving a MAX unit should take at least 20 seconds and should only be done, or attempted, after an area is under friendly control. I would even go as far as to say that low level medics should not even be able to revive MAX units.
    • Up x 5
  3. robo

Posting in support of heat for medics and some sort of balancing mechanic for revives.

It's too easy right now, and imbalanced when you take into account the difficulty of breaking through a good defense. If that ONE Medic is alive, so is the rest of the defense (in seconds).

It also takes less time to revive someone that is dead than it takes to heal someone who is alive with 1 HP.

Please make this class a bit more skill-based. A good medic should be able to turn the tide of a defense or offense by acting as a force multiplier, but right now a medic is just an error eraser for your team. Oops, we got wiped on that assault because we were being stupid. No big deal, we have medics, let's just heal everyone and push 5 inches forward. And again. And again.
    • Up x 7
  4. DoctOrious

If the engineer tool has a cooldown, there's no reason the medical tool should not have one. We demand a response!!!
    • Up x 2
  5. LegoFarmer

I would say no, but I do think the repair gun needs certs that can repair only certain things faster and you can only use one of the bonuses at a time. I also think the range needs to be extended.
  6. Tristan

Well, it's a good thing you said no! Conversation over. No need to explain why you think that way.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sock

Why is it that every other ability or tool in the game is limited by cooldown/drawbacks except for the medic gun? Please explain that to me.
  8. LegoFarmer

Medics keep the battle going and they keep you on your feet, if you want medics to be nerfed, you probably care about soloing more than team play. Also, engineers are a very versatile class. They can have infinity ammo, have AV specialty, even AI specialty. Medics are range limited. The only damage to vehicles the medics can have are C-4, and it isn't that often we can use it. My point is that classes have drawbacks and pros. You play engineer, so live with what you have chosen. That's what I have realized. I know it is frustrating, too. Trust me. That is my opinion, you have yours.
  9. Tristan

Hey guys, requiring that squads be more careful about their medics reduces teamplay!
    • Up x 3
  10. LegoFarmer

11. Sock

I hate soloing in this game actually, I'm all about squad play. And medics make squad play cheesy. Like robo said, medics right now are error erasers, not clutch players. Deaths carry no weight because it is far to easy to bring players back into the fight, and this turns every fight into a numbers game. If you get yourself killed, it should require effort and situational awareness on the part of the medic to bring you back up. Right now every revive is a no brainer. Not to mention a max ranked med tool revives faster than an average players TTK with most weapons. How does that make sense?
    • Up x 1
  12. LegoFarmer

You aren't revived with full shields and are vulnerable for a bit.
    • Up x 1
  13. robo

I'm a Medic most of the time that I play. I'm no MLG professional, and my K/D and stats aren't exceptional by any means. I do, however, play a lot of Medic and lead an outfit of hundreds of active members. I play to support my outfit, and I'm telling you from personal experience that the mechanic is too good. I am one of the people with the most to gain from the mechanic staying exactly as it is, and I'm asking for an adjustment, too.

Players aren't rewarded or punished for their decisions when there is a medic nearby. When you run out of a defended building to get a greedy kill and instead run into a mine, that is supposed to punish you, and your team, for that bad decision. Well, it doesn't when a Medic can run to the door, poke his reticule around and find the sweet spot on your big toe, revive you in two seconds, then continually chain-revive you as you make your way inch by painful inch back into the defended building.

It doesn't reward a smart flanking maneuver around a defended area where you kill everyone except the medic and by the time you spawn (OR, by the time you duck around the hill to apply a medkit, let's say) that Medic has everyone up at full health with rifles pointed at you. You're supposed to be rewarded for your good decision to flank them and take a few of them out, but with Medics as they are now, the battle hasn't changed. Maybe the medic should be able to get one of them up, or even two in that short a time, but half a squad? They didn't defend their flank. That's a bad decision that should be punished. But they had a medic, so it's more along the lines of "whoops, I guess they flanked us, let me rez you guys and we'll take them out really quick."

You make a bad decision? No problem! You have a medic. You make a good decision? Well, sad to say, they had a medic.

A skilled medic should still be able to help fix a bad turn in combat. But as it stands now, "any medic" can completely reverse a bad turn in combat if they have a few seconds to use their med tool, and that's not good for gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  14. LegoFarmer

What might help a lot (to prevent revive camping) is that a person will be revived with full health (Assuming their rez tool is maxed); however, if they die, they are revived with less than 100 (This will carry on until they respawn). I really do agree that people should have to sacrifice something when they click accept to the revive,
  15. Sock

A simple soft cap limiting you to accepting something like 1 revive per minute would go a loooong way to fixing the problem. If you're repeatedly dying like that, you should probably just respawn anyways.
    • Up x 1
  16. LegoFarmer

I really agree, actually. It isn't fair when maxes are at doorways dying, then they are rezzed and the engineer repairs. The person who killed the max is always angry because it had no impact. I honestly think a minute thing would help.
    • Up x 1
  17. Sossen

Reduce the effectiveness of the medic gun and all you'll do is give more power to the organized outfits. As long as revive grenades exist, the best outfits will simply outfit their medics with a grenade bandolier. Suddenly the only situations where the medic gun would be insufficient - when 5, 6 or more people are down, with the gun limited to 2 revives/10-15 seconds - a revive grenade would be spent and no time is wasted respawning.

And honestly, this would probably be a good thing. The zerg is powerful because enough players in the same place means that all players stay alive - reducing the replenishment rate would force people to be careful, and a zerg is all about not caring. Might shift the balance over to organization, but then again I wouldn't want to slow down my cert income being a medic and all.
  18. Sock

Oh boy for a second I thought you were going to say making organized squads more effective was a bad thing. You are a bastion of light in this community.
  19. LegoFarmer

I do think the best solution is allowing one person one minute per revive, possibly longer
  20. Bastid721

you make it sound as if medic=autowin....learn to prioritize targets. medics and engineers are always priority.
    I have a feeling you're the guy unloading a clip into the glowy white max.
    • Up x 1