Haven't played for 2 months.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MaxDamage, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MaxDamage

Has anything happened in that time?
    I've looked at updates and news pages a few times and it looks like the game is treading water.

GU13 seeks like a token patch. In fact more and more patches seem to include the words "*only interesting feature* removed/pushed back".

Optimistic view: maybe they're working on something bigger.
    Pessimistic view: this game has already been as big as it's going to get.

When you try to get someone into a game, the year it came out matters.

I've been playing SWTOR lately, amazing game, more co-op/epic single player than pvp fest, but I could easily not have bothered and missed one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

PS2 needs lore, needs story; and yes, needs some level of NPCs.

It's fine if you don't agree with me.
    6 months ago, I wouldn't have.
    • Up x 2
  2. Mr_Giggles

I wouldn't bother rejoining; this game obviously isn't for you.
    • Up x 2
  3. Tradewind

Blech, SWTOR was an unmitigated disaster any way you slice it.
    • Up x 4
  4. VSDerp

SWTOR blows bro. wasted my money on that piece of crap.
    • Up x 3
  5. maxkeiser

If you like MMPOFPS then PS2 is the only game in town. There is nothing else even remotely like it.

And no, BF3/BF4 etc won't replace it. They are completely different games.
    • Up x 3
  6. freeze

I somehow miss your ingame rage...
    • Up x 1
  7. Nhilys

By SWTOR I hope you don't mean that ****** WoW clone Star Wars MMO developed for $300M by Bioware on a broken engine which bombed hard last year.
    • Up x 2
  8. Konfuzfanten

So you want PS2 to be a WoW clone?!?
    • Up x 1
  9. Tradewind

The only lore PS2 needs is that the TR and VS are ******** and the NC is here to **** up their honeymoon.
    • Up x 1
  10. lilleAllan

LOL Planetside needs NPC's?

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree.
    • Up x 1
  11. NC_agent00kevin

I just treat it as a big, free roaming, humogoloid sandbox style TDM game. me and a few guys group up in a small 'splinter cell' squad separate from the rest of our outfit and play like this. After all, it doesnt matter if you cap that Biolab today; you wont have it tomorrow and will have to take it again.

On a side note, it will be pretty easy to replace with BF4 since I get crap for FPS in the biggest battles, and cannot do anything but res or repair in a massive Biolab fight - which is simply cert farming for me. I prefer smaller squad ops that support the platoons duking it out more than I enjoy being a part of the actual platoon. I simply dont have the hardware necessary for running PS2 competitively in those situations - though my hardware is absolutely fine for any other game to date.
  12. Vortok

SWTOR was kinda fun while leveling. Got stale fairly quickly at max level - flashpoints were mind numbingly easy, too. Couple of the class concepts were interesting, though.

As for PS2 - no, there hasn't been a major earth shattering change in the last few months (wait, how long ago were Harassers added? They're all the rage now - literally). It's still trucking along, slowly improving and getting better over time.
  13. Radec594

WoW's "lore" and storytelling sucks balls.
    TOR beats WoW on storytelling 10 to 0.. It's just missing everything else once you reach endgame.

Also, I wouldn't mind more lore-based material for PS2, it'd definitely be more productive than hats or camos.
  14. Vanus Aran

If 1 is the best and 10 the worst, than PS2 was already 3,5 and now its 5.
    Lattice and stupid base-changes like the one from the Crown only supports the lazyness of players and further degeneration of the game.
    Cause its true -> if there is NO REASON to play skillfully, YOU WONT.

Instead of making it so that some bases are only easily takeable with Shielddefusor (if defended) and without it, ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE, then players are forced to do something beside brainless zerging.
    I just say "Techplants". I wont ever forget how epic it was when they had still been fortresses with the only Shieldgenerator INSIDE the mainbuilding.
    Today it would be much better cause now there are more ways inside of it. BUT PEOPLE NEED TO USE THEIR BRAINS.

And what is SOE doing? Putting the Gens outside, reducing the need for brainactivity. *sigh* Dumb.

We have to fear that it will continue to go down the pipe.
  15. Goretzu

2 months in SWTOR is perhaps still great, then you hit L50 on a toon or two and you see what it really is.
  16. Tradewind

I'll agree, I enjoyed getting my Inquisitor to L50, the story line was good...but then yeah....hit L50 and it was a month of...

Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog! Frog Dog passes to Frog Dog!
  17. Koldorn

Pure curiosity... what do you play on SWTOR?

Anything other then Agent is the wrong answer. Agent story & game experience >>>>>>>>>>>> any other.
    I agree that Planetside could use a little more on the lore front; but don't really see NPCs as a component. Unless its on some... scenario battle zone for practice. Where kills / deaths aren't recorded; but you're given objectives like take out generators / blah blah blah. Like some kind of ... multiplayer tutorial / training ground.

Can it evolve to the point where some NPCs would be a good thing? Maybe. Time will tell.
    But Planetside has always been the player vs player thing; it would be a drastic change.

On the positive side: over the two months they've changed a lot of base layouts. Significantly.
    On the downside: ... that's about it. some minor balance tweaks, some small weapon changes, some new guns... and there isn't too much to get excited over.

Before hanging up my saber, rifle, lineage, and blazing my Phantom into the regions unknown...
    50 Inquisitor, Agent, Consular.
  18. DaddyVinoBambini

I'm wondering if once they get their EQN AI tweaked a bit if they couldn't use that to maybe make some low skill guards for bases behind the front lines. With continental lattice it would be easier to set thresholds on which bases would be suited for that based on how far behind the line they were.

AI guard population could be relative to the player population in the hex (more enemies = more guards, more allies = less guards). Then introduce some sort of incentive for attacking bases behind the lines to give the folks wanting the HEX system for spec ops something fun to do (reduced supply flow to the front of that lane, increased spawn timer on facility spawn points downstream in that lane, etc).

The key would be to make them just good enough to slow down the base hack from an average group of players. Don't want them to be too hard or pushovers. Also would need to either return zero experience, or a limited amount (similar to how an infiltrator stops receiving exp for hacking terminals within a time period). Also, the base shouldn't be captured, but maybe just brought offline so to say.

Also a good way to practice situational awareness and small squad communication (in dealing with the AI guards)

Just an idea (I prefer the front lines most of the time) for alternative forms of gameplay since it's always sort of bothered me that bases off of the front line are typically abandoned.
  19. Zar

i still don't agree with you lol i think you are mad as a hatter but sounds like you found a pve game so your good planetside 2 will never be a pve game ever so if thats what you want you did the right thing to walk
  20. Goretzu

Yeah, it was pretty pants.

Worse though was "if you don't want to look like a Space WoW Warrior, welcome to the Cashshop!".